Teaching a 5 year old

  • Mark Hendershott
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
      I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
      very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
      keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
      (since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
      the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.

      Any other suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Simon Sinneghe
      Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
    • loreleiElkins@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
        That's a tough one! The young kids I've worked with have the same
        problem, due to their pinching the string and arrow nock. I find I need to stand
        behind them the entire time and say, "loose hands, loose hands, loose
        hands" and show them how to not to grip the heck out of the string. They
        eventually get it but it takes a while. Good luck!

        Lorelei

        **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
        where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

      • MerrisaSJC@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
          Ummmm does this mean you are clocking the child with the back of your
          gloved hand? It is going to take lots of patience, and practice. Just have
          him concentrate on a loose grip and basics. 5 is a little young, but he will
          get the hang of it.

          Asha

          In a message dated 6/30/2009 9:38:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          crimlaw@... writes:

          I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
          very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
          keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
          (since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
          the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.

          Any other suggestions?

          Thanks,

          Simon Sinneghe
          Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

          **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
          where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

        • Liges
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
            I have found with my own daughter that letting her get it wrong enough makes her more receptive to help, where I then lower myself to her level, and help hold and aim the bow, hitting the target a few times this way I step back and let her try again on her own.  The most important thing to keep in mind is that if it's fun or made into a game.  I've found using a picture or a balloon make for fun targets that make practices last a little longer.

            Hope this helps some,

            Ligessac

            I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
            very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
            keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
            (since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
            the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.

            Any other suggestions?

            Thanks,

            Simon Sinneghe
            Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

          • William Arwemakere
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
              I will often teach my students a 3 fingers-under grip. Far less chance of
              pinching if there's nothing on the other side of the nock.

              It also helps when I flip them over to combat archery, as spanning an apd
              can be hard on the tendons in the hand.

              William

              On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM, <MerrisaSJC@...> wrote:

              > Ummmm does this mean you are clocking the child with the back of your
              > gloved hand? It is going to take lots of patience, and practice. Just have
              > him concentrate on a loose grip and basics. 5 is a little young, but he
              > will
              > get the hang of it.
              >
              > Asha
              >

              > In a message dated 6/30/2009 9:38:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              > crimlaw@... <crimlaw%40jeffnet.org> writes:
              >
              > I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
              > very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
              > keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
              > (since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
              > the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
              >
              > Any other suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Simon Sinneghe
              > Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
              >
              > **************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
              > where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)

            • Harry Billings
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                Try the three under. It is what the 4-H in Texas uses with their new young archers.

                plachoya
                Ansteorra

                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                  If you want to have him learn the split finger rather than the 3 under, I would suggest you pick up No-Glov from your local archery supply shop. This will help him learn the finger position without pinching.

                  For my daughter's bow, I just taped a discarded feather fletching so that the arrow now sat in the crux of the feather and arrowrest. That seemed to work as well.

                  When doing a children's shoot, you will often find me on the line using my fingernail to keep the arrow from falling off the rest for the children just learning.

                  In Service,
                  James

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...> wrote:

                  > I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                  > very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                  > keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                  > (since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                  > the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
                  >
                  > Any other suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Simon Sinneghe
                  > Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                • Wolferam
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                    My first suggestion would be to not physically strike the child if he's getting it wrong. In my experience the child will learn shooting is not fun.  As for troubles holding the arrow in position. If it's trouble with "shelving" the arrow, then I would try a bow with an actual shelf. If the bow has one, maybe strapping a piece of leather to the outside of the shelf, making more of a cup for the arrow to sit in. Should the difficulty lie in holding at full draw, then yes have them switch to the 3-finger under grip with a knock point above the knock.

                    Wolferam von Gorlicz

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                      On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Wolferam <lord_wolferam@...> wrote:

                      > My first suggestion would be to not physically strike the child if he's
                      > getting it wrong. In my experience the child will learn shooting is not
                      > fun.

                      Ummmm

                      I don't think there was referrence to hitting the child (except there was a
                      joke made). What Simon is probably doing is using either the back of his
                      hand to help keep the arrow on the rest / shelf.

                      James' suggestion of using a piece of fletching to help as a guide will also
                      work nicely. Much more pliable than leather.

                      William

                    • ld.blackmoon
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                        greetings

                        1st , as has been sugessted try 3 under, especially if your nock is firmly in place.
                        most smalls pinch the arrow when they draw with split finger draw, this is eliminated with 3 under.
                        2nd i have found that the icb method works well for small children , in summer, and the chc method in winter .
                        ( icecream bar for every gold , or hot chocolate for every gold )

                        hope that helps ; )
                        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                        Arthur

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                          Mmmmm Ice cream. Thanks, here comes the craving.

                          I spent several months working with an 8 yr old. She knew the mechanica of
                          shooting, but didn't have the focus.

                          We didn't work on hitting the gold, but on getting all the arrows in the
                          same place. I was very happy that she understood the concept of grouping,
                          and then moving it. That may be a little more advanced than a 5 yr old can
                          grasp, but the number one thing that she took away was that it was about
                          being safe, having fun, and hitting the target (in that order).

                          One of my older students was just happy that first day of "no walking"
                          (looking for arrows behind the target.

                          William

                          - I've got a set of 18 month old twins (neice and nephew). I look forward to
                          getting them their first bows.

                          On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM, ld.blackmoon <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

                          > greetings
                          >
                          > 1st , as has been sugessted try 3 under, especially if your nock is firmly
                          > in place.
                          > most smalls pinch the arrow when they draw with split finger draw, this is
                          > eliminated with 3 under.
                          > 2nd i have found that the icb method works well for small children , in
                          > summer, and the chc method in winter .
                          > ( icecream bar for every gold , or hot chocolate for every gold )
                          >
                          > hope that helps ; )
                          > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                          > Arthur

                        • Mark Hendershott
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                            Bad choice of words. I shoot with a glove on my left hand to prevent
                            feather cuts. The gloved hand goes alongside the bow as James
                            describes doing with his fingernail.

                            Gees, jumping to wrong conclusions.

                            Simon

                            At 12:19 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:

                            >My first suggestion would be to not physically strike the child if
                            >he's getting it wrong. In my experience the child will learn
                            >shooting is not fun. As for troubles holding the arrow in position.
                            >If it's trouble with "shelving" the arrow, then I would try a bow
                            >with an actual shelf. If the bow has one, maybe strapping a piece of
                            >leather to the outside of the shelf, making more of a cup for the
                            >arrow to sit in. Should the difficulty lie in holding at full draw,
                            >then yes have them switch to the 3-finger under grip with a knock
                            >point above the knock.
                            >
                            >Wolferam von Gorlicz
                            >
                            >--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Mark Hendershott
                            ><<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >From: Mark Hendershott <<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...>
                            >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Teaching a 5 year old
                            >To: <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                            >Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
                            >
                            >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                            >
                            >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                            >
                            >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                            >
                            >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                            >
                            >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
                            >
                            >Any other suggestions?
                            >
                            >Thanks,
                            >
                            >Simon Sinneghe
                            >
                            >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                          • Harry Billings
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                              We the 4-H use three under till they learn not to grip the string and just use the tips of their fingers. Then go to one over two under.

                              plachoya
                              Ansteorra

                              If you want to have him learn the split finger rather than the 3 under, I would suggest you pick up No-Glov from your local archery supply shop. This will help him learn the finger position without pinching.

                              For my daughter's bow, I just taped a discarded feather fletching so that the arrow now sat in the crux of the feather and arrowrest. That seemed to work as well.

                              When doing a children's shoot, you will often find me on the line using my fingernail to keep the arrow from falling off the rest for the children just learning.

                              In Service,
                              James

                              Recent Activity

                              2
                              New MembersVisit Your Group

                              Give Back
                              Yahoo! for Good

                              Get inspired
                              by a good cause.

                              Y! Toolbar
                              Get it Free!

                              easy 1-click access
                              to your groups.

                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Start a group

                              in 3 easy steps.
                              Connect with others.
                              .

                            • Talmon Parker
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                                Excuse the butinski::

                                There is one trick that to me is easier and less trouble than tape or feather. Try having the youth try wrapping his three finger hold further around the string,BEFORE, drawing. This will cause the string to press harder against the bow as a natural reaction.

                                As the hand straightens to line the string it will grip the string tighter, thus twisting the string to the belly of the bow.

                                Talmon ,Gatesedge.
                                DER BARON

                                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                From: crimlaw@...
                                Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:38:17 -0700

                                At 12:19 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:

                                >My first suggestion would be to not physically strike the child if
                                >he's getting it wrong. In my experience the child will learn
                                >shooting is not fun. As for troubles holding the arrow in position.
                                >If it's trouble with "shelving" the arrow, then I would try a bow
                                >with an actual shelf. If the bow has one, maybe strapping a piece of
                                >leather to the outside of the shelf, making more of a cup for the
                                >arrow to sit in. Should the difficulty lie in holding at full draw,
                                >then yes have them switch to the 3-finger under grip with a knock
                                >point above the knock.
                                >
                                >Wolferam von Gorlicz
                                >
                                >--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Mark Hendershott
                                ><<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >From: Mark Hendershott <<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...>
                                >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Teaching a 5 year old
                                >To: <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                >Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
                                >
                                >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                                >
                                >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                                >
                                >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                                >
                                >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                                >
                                >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
                                >
                                >Any other suggestions?
                                >
                                >Thanks,
                                >
                                >Simon Sinneghe
                                >
                                >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                              • Hank Steinfeld
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                                  Ordinarily I would not reply, but this one got my interest as a certified instructor trainer.  With a longbow, I have taken a small piece of wood or leather and fashioned a temporary shelf/rest.  There are far too many skills to learn all at once to add resting the arrow on the knuckle!  Second, always tell the child what you want them to do, try not to tell them what they did wrong.  Third, get yourself about 24 inches of 1/2 elastic from a fabric store and tie a knot making a loop.  Using this, teach draw, anchor and release WITHOUT the bow.  When the child has that under control, add the bow but DO NOT draw the string, use the elastic to mimic the string WITHOUT an arrow.  This process teaches muscle memory and does not tire out the child or endanger anyone around you.

                                  Now start shooting.  Put the target about 5 to 7 yds in front and build the skills up slow.  I have successfully taught a number of 5 yr olds and even a 4.  I agree with the other writer that any physical contact with the child is a mistake that may be hard to recover from in the future.

                                  Good luck

                                  Khadir

                                  NAA/NADA certified

                                  From: crimlaw@...
                                  Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:38:17 -0700

                                  At 12:19 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:

                                  >My first suggestion would be to not physically strike the child if
                                  >he's getting it wrong. In my experience the child will learn
                                  >shooting is not fun. As for troubles holding the arrow in position.
                                  >If it's trouble with "shelving" the arrow, then I would try a bow
                                  >with an actual shelf. If the bow has one, maybe strapping a piece of
                                  >leather to the outside of the shelf, making more of a cup for the
                                  >arrow to sit in. Should the difficulty lie in holding at full draw,
                                  >then yes have them switch to the 3-finger under grip with a knock
                                  >point above the knock.
                                  >
                                  >Wolferam von Gorlicz
                                  >
                                  >--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Mark Hendershott
                                  ><<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >From: Mark Hendershott <<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>crimlaw@...>
                                  >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Teaching a 5 year old
                                  >To: <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
                                  >
                                  >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                                  >
                                  >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                                  >
                                  >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                                  >
                                  >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                                  >
                                  >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
                                  >
                                  >Any other suggestions?
                                  >
                                  >Thanks,
                                  >
                                  >Simon Sinneghe
                                  >
                                  >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

                                • William Arwemakere
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                                    That sounds remarkable like a technique explained to me by a friend (#4
                                    ranked Canadian Olympic). For us "big people" it's still a great way to work
                                    out form issues; you can be fully drawn for several minutes while a friend
                                    makes adjustments.

                                    William

                                    On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Hank Steinfeld
                                    <laird_muirghen54@...>wrote:

> [...]
                                    > >point above the knock.
                                    > >
                                    > >Wolferam von Gorlicz
                                    > >
                                    > >--- On Tue, 6/30/09, Mark Hendershott
                                    > ><<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org <crimlaw%2540jeffnet.org>>
                                    > crimlaw@... <crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >From: Mark Hendershott <<mailto:crimlaw%40jeffnet.org<crimlaw%2540jeffnet.org>
                                    > >crimlaw@... <crimlaw%40jeffnet.org>>
                                    > >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Teaching a 5 year old
                                    > >To: <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery%2540yahoogroups.com>
                                    > >SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > >Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
                                    > >
                                    > >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                                    > >
                                    > >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                                    > >
                                    > >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                                    > >
                                    > >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                                    > >
                                    > >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.

                                  • Luigi Kapaj
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 30, 2009
                                      > I shoot with a glove on my left hand to prevent
                                      > feather cuts.

                                      Feather cuts can be prevented by properly trimming down the feathers. Take a knife and slide it into one of the first few barbs near the front and cut in along the barb down to the shaft making the leading point of the feather as sharp and, most importantly, as smooth to the shaft as possible. Then put a generous drop of white glue over the point. I shoot off the hand and this solved all feather cut issues for me.

                                      For teaching a 5 year old, here are a few observations as to how the archers in Mongolia teach their children. First they take it very seriously, including full garb and learning the proper technique they want them to use as an adult - thumb draw, and at times alongside professional archers for inspiration though mostly with other kids or alone. For distance, Mongolians place the target 3 meters away per year of age for girls and 4 meters per year of age for boys. Mongolians count age in natural numbers so your 5 year old is 6 by Mongolian reckoning so he should be practicing at a target 24 meters away.

                                      Puppy
                                      http://Yasa.NYCMongol.com
                                    • Sheri Rees
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 1 9:57 AM
                                        Simon,
                                        The biggest thing that will help your great-grandson is
                                        practice. Verbal instructions can and do work with this age when
                                        combined with lots of practice and reassurance. As well as his being
                                        able to watch you and others shooting properly.

                                        My son is now 5 and a half, he's been shooting without my direct help
                                        for almost 2 years. He shoots with us every week during Baronial
                                        practice (which is in our yard) and whenever else he asks to. He's
                                        also competed in one Shire Champions shoot 2 years in a row (later
                                        this month will be the third time). He's competed mostly because I
                                        was there to shoot and he wanted to when I did (more fun than the
                                        babysitter).

                                        Give yourselves the time to work with this, you can't rush it.
                                        Also find some fun targets to shoot at - keep this a game for him.

                                        Shadhra, AnTir
                                        (who works at a preschool many months a year)

                                        At 09:41 AM 6/30/2009, you wrote:
                                        >I'm beginning to teach my five year old great-grandson. We have a
                                        >very light yew longbow. He's getting the idea but has difficulty
                                        >keeping the arrow is position until release. So far I have found
                                        >(since verbal instruction doesn't seem to work with this age) that
                                        >the back of my gloved hand seems to be the best solution.
                                        >
                                        >Any other suggestions?
                                        >
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >
                                        >Simon Sinneghe
                                        >Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
                                      • Lord Richard Woodenbridge
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 4 3:37 PM
                                          Greetings all,
                                          I thought that this discussion was related to a video I posted on youtube today. Its my son age 6 as of March at practicing shooting.
                                          I jsut thought those of you who commented might like to see this:

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ1wPKoWsKo

                                          Richard Woodenbridge
                                        • Hank Steinfeld
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 5 5:20 AM
                                            In general, his form looks very good especially for someone that young.  I hesitate to make suggestions but I will add that if you look at his feet, you will see an opportunity to increase draw and improve form even more.  Have him stand with his rear (right foot) slightly behind a line drawn from the tips of his toes to the target. (the purpendicular to the shooting line).  This will allow him to get a better draw and will make shooting even easier.  Looks like he was having a good time and that is as important.

                                            In Service
                                            Khadir