Help, please. I would like to buy a replica 15th-century-Era Crossbow.

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2009
      Gentles All,
       I have long wanted to join-in with the Archers at the SCA Events we are able to attend in ID, when Archery marshalls are available. I think I*'m too old, and it's too difficult to find somewhere to practice where I live,  to ever achieve much proficiency with an ELB, though I have a nice replica  re-enactment version from Quicks; so I'd like to equip myself with a crosbow.
      I have tried searches on the Net, but the many Suppliers names I've found give me no indication of the quality of their producsts, no or the authenticity-level of their various Models. And there are no Crossbow archers in our little Island whom I might ask.

      I would therefore be extremely grateful if Members of this List could give me some suggestions as to whose Product Lines I ought to look at. I have no desire, obviously, for example, - to spend a lot of money importing a "replica" "Combat-ready" [sic] crossbow from the USA, only to discover I've bought a mere "wall-hanger".

       In Service to Insulae Draconis, and to Drachenwald,
      Matthew Baker.
      Hospitaller of West Dragonshire

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2009
        New World Arbalest would be my first recommendation. They may be
        found at http://www.crossbows.net/. Iolo makes fine bows and I have
        been pleases with mine for the over 20 years I have had it. They are
        all based on period designs and are quite functional.
        Carolus