Re: combat archery

  • bluecat@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
      My Lady,

      The best information, examples and instructions will be found at:
      http://www.havenholde.net/35footspear/ This site has the weapons
      standards and clear pictures and instructions on how to build correct
      combat arrows and bolts. The rules for your Kingdom may vary. Siloflex
      or a siloflex equivalent plastic water pipe is now required. Golf tubes
      are definitely gone for good. To get some straight siloflex-

      Go to a plumbing supply shop. It is best if you buy straight ( not
      coiled ) pipe. If you contact a plumbing supplier to buy siloflex, what
      you need to ask for is: 1 Inch, 100# PSI, IDR-15 and confirm that it is
      made of PE 3608. They may call it potable water pipe, which is also
      correct. Coiled pipe will work, but it has memory and will want to curve
      some- particularly if you are making arrows. It's not a big problem with
      bolts. Coiled is likely to be readily available. Charter Plastics of
      Titusville Pa. is one manufacturer I have used. If you get a Siloflex
      equivalent pipe from a manufacturer like Charter, be sure to save the
      paperwork to verify the type of pipe for the Marshals. You can have it
      ordered cut to 60 inches or any size down from 60. A 60 inch tube makes
      TWO 28 inch arrows or up to about 4 crossbow bolts

      The side wrap will bring the size of a rubber stopper type arrow or bolt
      head to *more* than 1 1/2 inches wide. The objective in building them is
      to make sure they can't be stuck in a grill, that is quite true, so the
      foam used is pretty stiff and there is a lot of strapping tape involved.
      It has been found that military sleeping mat foam ( green, medium size
      closed cell foam) which can be purchased on ebay through Allegheny
      Surplus Outlet ( look this vendor up) makes excellent tips and side wraps.

      I would be glad to assist you if you want to contact me off list, and if
      anyone needs tips on how to build the arrows and bolts please ask. I
      live in the Middle Kingdom though, and your Kingdom may have rules
      beyond the SCA standards found here
      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf
      <http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf>

      And again- check your Kingdoms rules.