combat archery

  • Karen Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
      Hello archers,

      I have a question...  with the new changes (not sure they're SCA-wide or just Kingdom of Atlantia), for combat archery equipment.  I know that the heads of the arrows now have to be 1 1/2 inches wide so that they won't fit in the 1"slots of the helmets... and totally understand that.  Unfortunately, I have the old "golf tube" type of arrows and crossbow for combat archery - the tubes are 1' in diameter.  I know that the back side needs to be 1 1/2 inches as well for "bounce back" safety, but how can I do that and still make them fit into the crossbow and be held down by the guide?  Has anyone else accomplished this and how?
      I'd appreciate any help with this. :)Brigid

    • Harry Billings
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
        It is my understanding that GT's are no longer allowed and so the arrows can not be retrofitted. You would have to make new one from scratch you may be able to recycle the heads but the shafts are gone.

        plachoya
        Ansteorra

        Hello archers,

        I have a question... with the new changes (not sure they're SCA-wide or just Kingdom of Atlantia), for combat archery equipment. I know that the heads of the arrows now have to be 1 1/2 inches wide so that they won't fit in the 1"slots of the helmets... and totally understand that. Unfortunately, I have the old "golf tube" type of arrows and crossbow for combat archery - the tubes are 1' in diameter. I know that the back side needs to be 1 1/2 inches as well for "bounce back" safety, but how can I do that and still make them fit into the crossbow and be held down by the guide? Has anyone else accomplished this and how?
        I'd appreciate any help with this. :)Brigid

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Karen Miller <mill3rs@...> wrote:

          > Hello archers,
          >
          > I know that the back side needs to be 1 1/2 inches as well
          > for "bounce back" safety, but how can I do that and still make them
          > fit into the crossbow and be held down by the guide?  Has anyone else
          > accomplished this and how?

          You have the wrong dimensions, as per Society:
          http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf

          7. Heavy Ammunition
          b. Tubular Ammunition
          i. The shaft must be constructed of Siloflex Equivalent with a pressure rating of 100PSI, 1.25 inches (3.2 cm) exterior diameter or 1 inch (2.5 cm) interior diameter.

          ii. The tail must be left solid for at least 1 inch (2.5 cm). Cuts may be made beyond that in order to install fletches if desired but must have holes drilled at the ends of each cut to keep the cut from spreading. The tail may be slit if a 1 inch (2.5 cm) or longer section of siloflex is reinserted at the end and laced in place. A nock may be cut into the tail end, but may be no deeper than 1/2 inch (13 mm). Wooden nocks can be installed as long are securely attached by drilling & lacing with string.

          [There's no mention of APD's. They are mentioned in the section on light arrows (fibreglass) and those use siloflex]

          6. Light Ammunition
          d. Anti-Penetration Devices (APDs)
          iii. The following are the ONLY approved styles of APDs:
          1. Siloflex equivalent
          a. APDs must be of Siloflex equivalent material with a pressure rating between 75 and 200psi. The outer diameter must be at least 1.25 inches (3.2 cm) or the inner diameter must be at least 1 inch (2.5 cm).

          So essentially, the APD on a siloflex arrow is the siloflex itself. Nothing must be added to increase the width.
          Although Atlantia has a set of their own rules, APD's seem to follow Society standards.
          http://law.atlantia.sca.org/Policy.html#3.5
          ~Hobbe
        • bluecat@neo.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2009
            My Lady,

            The best information, examples and instructions will be found at:
            http://www.havenholde.net/35footspear/ This site has the weapons
            standards and clear pictures and instructions on how to build correct
            combat arrows and bolts. The rules for your Kingdom may vary. Siloflex
            or a siloflex equivalent plastic water pipe is now required. Golf tubes
            are definitely gone for good. To get some straight siloflex-

            Go to a plumbing supply shop. It is best if you buy straight ( not
            coiled ) pipe. If you contact a plumbing supplier to buy siloflex, what
            you need to ask for is: 1 Inch, 100# PSI, IDR-15 and confirm that it is
            made of PE 3608. They may call it potable water pipe, which is also
            correct. Coiled pipe will work, but it has memory and will want to curve
            some- particularly if you are making arrows. It's not a big problem with
            bolts. Coiled is likely to be readily available. Charter Plastics of
            Titusville Pa. is one manufacturer I have used. If you get a Siloflex
            equivalent pipe from a manufacturer like Charter, be sure to save the
            paperwork to verify the type of pipe for the Marshals. You can have it
            ordered cut to 60 inches or any size down from 60. A 60 inch tube makes
            TWO 28 inch arrows or up to about 4 crossbow bolts

            The side wrap will bring the size of a rubber stopper type arrow or bolt
            head to *more* than 1 1/2 inches wide. The objective in building them is
            to make sure they can't be stuck in a grill, that is quite true, so the
            foam used is pretty stiff and there is a lot of strapping tape involved.
            It has been found that military sleeping mat foam ( green, medium size
            closed cell foam) which can be purchased on ebay through Allegheny
            Surplus Outlet ( look this vendor up) makes excellent tips and side wraps.

            I would be glad to assist you if you want to contact me off list, and if
            anyone needs tips on how to build the arrows and bolts please ask. I
            live in the Middle Kingdom though, and your Kingdom may have rules
            beyond the SCA standards found here
            http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf
            <http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf>

            And again- check your Kingdoms rules.