Re: Change in arrow requirement

  • Beth Kilburn
    Message 1 of 56 , Jun 16, 2009
      Hi,
      This is my first post on SCA Archery. I'm a newbie in SCA archery. In fact, when I got a loaner recurve in May, it was the first time I'd even held a bow in about 15 years. I've not found in my area any wood arrows or wood shafts to make my own arrows, so my only viable option is to buy online (when I eventually get enough money to buy what I need) - 3Rivers is my preference, as they have Sitka Spruce shafts(BTW, their SS & POC are both 32").

      Personally, I don't think SCA archery arrow requirements should change to non-wood shafts. Weekend before last, I shot at the Gleann Abhann Live Weapons Championship (my first SCA competition) with carbon arrows. As part of Gleann Abhann archery policy, an archery newbie is allowed no more than 6 months to get a set of wood arrows with feather fletching (not from the time of getting into the SCA but getting into SCA archery).

      I very much look forward to learning to make & making my own wood arrows, whenever that may be! Part of the appeal of SCA archery for me is seeing others with wood arrows & bows without modern "rigging". As for identifying each others arrows, I'll just put on my own cresting - including my SCA name before sealing.

      Eibhlin Nuinseann
      Kingdom of Gleann Abhann, Shire of Ardanroe

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins" <cogworks@...> wrote:

      > I would like to open a discussion with this group concerning arrow shafting for SCA shoots.
      >
      > The SCA mandates wooden shafting with feather fletching. Nocks may be self nock or plastic. In my area I have a most energetic new archer who is also very good but has a draw length of 34 inches. After about three months of searching he has been unable to find shafting long enough to make arrows that meet the SCA requirements. We are aware of making footed arrows but that solution is very time consuming and costly compared to those of us who do not need longer arrow shafting.
      >
      > As we all know, the concept of the SCA archery rules is to portray archery as it was in period. However, as we all also know, there is many an archer who comes to the line and shoots using equipment that is only very loosely representative of period equipment. I have seen archers using bows with metal skeleton risers, modern recurves (not compounds), and a variety of other bow types of questionable periodness. Many archers also color their shafts with colors highly unlikely to have ever been used in period.
      >
      > So the question that may well burn up this list, but please remember, I AM ONLY BRINGING THE TOPIC UP FOR DISCUSSION AND OPINION and I value all that may post.
      > QUESTION: Should the SCA archery rules be changed to read shafting may be of non wood material, i.e. aluminum, carbon, that has a wood pattern on it with NO lettering? IF an archer chooses to shoot in the period class then their shafting must be wood. Fletching requirements remain the same.
      >
      > I welcome all comments and opinions,
      > Christophe of Grey
      > Atlantia

    • mark s graves
      Message 56 of 56 , Jun 20, 2009
        There are methods of making your own shafts. Three Rivers Archery carries
        ties where you take square pieces of wood, ghently tapping them through
        which compresses them into round arrows. I do not know how straight
        these are, but they also sell a roller that straightens arrows too. I
        have no experience using either, but this may be an option. William Ross
        of Skye
        Save on Pest Control. Click here.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTGQSpVYBp5paeZ0TKIT3mFXeBMyCNLRRFGeHRWeReKe19Nk0CKmCc/