Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: bamboo arrow shaft

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 14, 2009
      Joseph,

      I order tonkin bamboo from The Bamboo Fencer for use in making
      blowguns. Tonkin has the straightest nodes and heat straightens
      easily with a standard heat gun. You can find their on-line catalog
      by doing a web search. I buy the stuff in 8 foot lengths for a
      couple bucks each. The shipping is around $55, so you will want to
      order a couple dozen poles at a time.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 02:15 AM 6/14/2009, you wrote:

      >i don't know about bamboo ARROW shafting but if someone could point
      >me to some bamboo atlatl shafting aprox 7 feet long 1/2 inch at the
      >wide end and 5/16 at the narow i'd be most interested in that. as
      >far as Q/A for the potential supplier i would ask if it's already
      >prepd for arrow shafting IE if the nodes have been smoothed if it's
      >had varnish appld. those would be my first questions. i harvested my
      >own native to america bamboo when i was stationed in southern NC for
      >an SCA shire in the kingdome of atlantia known as raven's cove. if
      >any one wants to talk directly I'm on yahoo e-mail as mackay1783@yahoo.
      >
      >Joseph MacKay the fletcher
      >
      >live by the sword die by the clothyard shaft
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
      >"Kelly" <kburgess1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I recived this today, anyone want some ?
      > >
      > > "How much interest might there be for bamboo arrow shafts?
      > > And what questions do I need to ask the potential supplier about them?"
      > >
      > > he is working on the spine weight and price, the plan is to have them at
      > > pennsic.

    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
        Gentlemen and Ladies,

        I finally did it. I submitted 4 royal round scores shot with a
        blowgun. I was using a 7 foot blowgun with a range sight and wooden
        darts with metal points. My current average score is 55, which is
        probably higher than I can shoot with a hand bow. It is also 15
        points higher than I ever expected to shoot when I started two years
        ago. The improvement was due to better darts. I have not yet had a
        really calm day for shooting and I am making even better darts. If
        the new design lets me load faster in the speed round and still gives
        as good or better accuracy at 40 yards, then I am confident that I
        may eventually shoot scores in the 70+ points range.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      • Liam (the Doryman)
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
          Lord Gladius,
          You might try getting a hold of a "Cherokee" blowgun.
          They are made from river cane and use bodock wood darts with thistle
          "fletching".
          They are quite good, and definetly a period weapon.

          Liam (the Doyrman)

        • zateev@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
            Shall we leave the jokes about hot air out of the replies on this?

            Good Shooting.

            Aleksei

            An Tir

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                  Ld. Gladius, Is the use of blowguns new to your kingdom?  Is it a trial weapons form?
                  What class is it under?  It's not a thrown weapon.  I guess it would have to be considered as a porpelled weapon.

                  $.02 worth
                  Ld. Edward

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                    Edward,

                    Blowguns are relatively new. We've been shooting them here, the
                    Midrealm, for about three years now, but only just recently started
                    using them to shoot Royal Rounds. They are still experimental,
                    though at this point I have pretty much run out of experiments and
                    just take mine to the range and shoot. Blowguns aren't really a
                    thrown weapon, but they also lack a bow for storing energy. So they
                    are really in a class of their own. However, we shoot them on the
                    archery range due to the nature and velocity of the projectile. The
                    projectiles are like miniature crossbow bolts and can have a muzzle
                    velocity of 400fps! Of course due to their light weight they will
                    not carry as far as an arrow or bolt, but will still travel 95 yards
                    and possibly farther.

                    At 10:00 PM 6/30/2009, you wrote:

                    >Ld. Gladius, Is the use of blowguns new to your kingdom? Is it a
                    >trial weapons form?
                    >What class is it under? It's not a thrown weapon. I guess it would
                    >have to be considered as a porpelled weapon.
                    >
                    >$.02 worth
                    >Ld. Edward

                  • Mark Cipra
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                      I've been watching him practice. Amazing. You should see hit hit the clout (just kidding).

                      Mark Cipra
                      __

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Can you describe what you are using for darts?

                        Logan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 1, 2009
                          Logan,

                          You can find a photo of the wood fletched darts here
                          http://www.alcheminc.com/blowgun.html . These are the ones I have
                          found to be the most accurate at longer ranges.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 24, 2010
                          Rick,

                          Ask and ye shall receive.

                          Jim, Alchem Inc.

                          >At 09:58 AM 11/24/2010, richard johnson wrote:

                          Can you upload pics so we can see whatthey look like?

                          On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

                          To Whom It May Concern,

                          If anyone is interested, I now have a pile of 50 caliber lined bamboo
                          blowguns for sale cheap. These are the early medieval type which
                          would have been in use in Europe prior to the 13th Century. They
                          shoot a simple primitive dart made from bamboo shish kebab
                          skewers. So the ammunition is cheap when home made. This caliber is
                          ideal for use by children. That said, these are no more a toy than a
                          child's bow. Blowguns were the medieval equivalent of a .22
                          short. So if anyone wants to give their kid the medieval equivalent
                          of a Red Rider BB Gun, this is it. The price will depend on the
                          length. These are still an experimental weapon on SCA archery
                          ranges, so you have to obtain permission from the marshal in charge
                          before using one at an official SCA event.

                          Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                          --
                          Rick Johnson
                          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com