Re: Removing gasket sealer

  • lord.ormr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
      lacquer of course. I misspoke in my original post.

      Ormr

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ice.tiger" <ice.tiger@...> wrote:

      > Gasket sealer or gasket lacquer?
      >

      > Brian Simpson wrote:
      >

      > > All,
      > >
      > > I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
      > > The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
      > > bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
      > > sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
      > > side of the arrow.
      > >
      > > My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
      > > the arrows themselves?
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Ormr

    • J
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
        i know the sealer you refer to i see it carried by three rivers archery. and they should carry a solvent to remove it but if the crest is under it it will remove the cresting. the way it is applied the dipping tube has a rubber gasket on the top to act as a squeegie. my guess for why it's thick on one side and thin on the other is the original builder of said arrows let them dry on a flat rack instead of hanging upright, or the gasket was egged out from over use.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Wolferam <lord_wolferam@...> wrote:

        > Using gasket sealer on arrows? That's new to me. It usually goes on thick when using it in a motor. It's hard to imagine a thin coat. Off of metal you just use a scraper and then solvent to remove sticky residue. May be the best bet here too. Or even try to peel it with your fingers. But after the bulk is gone a good sanding would probably be best. Maybe even a small bit of Goo Gone.
        >
        > Wolferam von Gorlicz

      • Kirk Morrison
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 14, 2009
          try denatured alcohol, it works on most lacquers, and such.

          Kirk

          "He who has honor need not fear death."

          Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008

          My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          From: mackay1783@...
          Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:21:39 +0000
          Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Removing gasket sealer