Re: [SCA-Archery] Removing gasket sealer

  • ice.tiger
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
      Gasket sealer or gasket lacquer?

      Brian Simpson wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
      > The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
      > bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
      > sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
      > side of the arrow.
      >
      > My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
      > the arrows themselves?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Ormr

    • lord.ormr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
        lacquer of course. I misspoke in my original post.

        Ormr

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ice.tiger" <ice.tiger@...> wrote:

        > Gasket sealer or gasket lacquer?
        >

        > Brian Simpson wrote:
        >

        > > All,
        > >
        > > I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
        > > The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
        > > bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
        > > sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
        > > side of the arrow.
        > >
        > > My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
        > > the arrows themselves?
        > >
        > > Any help would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Ormr

      • J
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
          i know the sealer you refer to i see it carried by three rivers archery. and they should carry a solvent to remove it but if the crest is under it it will remove the cresting. the way it is applied the dipping tube has a rubber gasket on the top to act as a squeegie. my guess for why it's thick on one side and thin on the other is the original builder of said arrows let them dry on a flat rack instead of hanging upright, or the gasket was egged out from over use.

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Wolferam <lord_wolferam@...> wrote:

          > Using gasket sealer on arrows? That's new to me. It usually goes on thick when using it in a motor. It's hard to imagine a thin coat. Off of metal you just use a scraper and then solvent to remove sticky residue. May be the best bet here too. Or even try to peel it with your fingers. But after the bulk is gone a good sanding would probably be best. Maybe even a small bit of Goo Gone.
          >
          > Wolferam von Gorlicz

        • Kirk Morrison
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2009
            try denatured alcohol, it works on most lacquers, and such.

            Kirk

            "He who has honor need not fear death."

            Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008

            My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: mackay1783@...
            Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:21:39 +0000
            Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Removing gasket sealer