Removing gasket sealer

  • Brian Simpson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
      All,

      I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
      The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
      bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
      sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
      side of the arrow.

      My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
      the arrows themselves?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Ormr

    • Wolferam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
        Using gasket sealer on arrows? That's new to me. It usually goes on thick when using it in a motor. It's hard to imagine a thin coat. Off of metal you just use a scraper and then solvent to remove sticky residue. May be the best bet here too. Or even try to peel it with your fingers. But after the bulk is gone a good sanding would probably be best. Maybe even a small bit of Goo Gone.

        Wolferam von Gorlicz

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
          Are ;you talking gasket sealer as in automotive gaskets or gasket
          lacquer? If the first, I have no idea and wouldn't even try to
          recover the shafts. If the latter, try using lacquer thinner, many
          lacquers remain soluble and can be re-dissolved.
          Carolus

          At 08:43 PM 6/12/2009, you wrote:
          >All,
          >

          >I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
          >The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
          >bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
          >sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
          >side of the arrow.
          >

          >My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
          >the arrows themselves?
          >

          >Any help would be appreciated.
          >

          >Ormr
        • ice.tiger
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
            Gasket sealer or gasket lacquer?

            Brian Simpson wrote:

            > All,
            >
            > I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
            > The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
            > bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
            > sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
            > side of the arrow.
            >
            > My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
            > the arrows themselves?
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Ormr

          • lord.ormr
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
              lacquer of course. I misspoke in my original post.

              Ormr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ice.tiger" <ice.tiger@...> wrote:

              > Gasket sealer or gasket lacquer?
              >

              > Brian Simpson wrote:
              >

              > > All,
              > >
              > > I need a bit of advice. I am trying to fix a set of arrows for a friend.
              > > The arrows were crested then dipped with gasket sealer. However, something
              > > bad happed in the sealing process (not clear how it happened), but the
              > > sealer is real thin on one side, and very thick and cracking on the other
              > > side of the arrow.
              > >
              > > My question to the lists is: how do I remove this sealer without damaging
              > > the arrows themselves?
              > >
              > > Any help would be appreciated.
              > >
              > > Ormr

            • J
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
                i know the sealer you refer to i see it carried by three rivers archery. and they should carry a solvent to remove it but if the crest is under it it will remove the cresting. the way it is applied the dipping tube has a rubber gasket on the top to act as a squeegie. my guess for why it's thick on one side and thin on the other is the original builder of said arrows let them dry on a flat rack instead of hanging upright, or the gasket was egged out from over use.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Wolferam <lord_wolferam@...> wrote:

                > Using gasket sealer on arrows? That's new to me. It usually goes on thick when using it in a motor. It's hard to imagine a thin coat. Off of metal you just use a scraper and then solvent to remove sticky residue. May be the best bet here too. Or even try to peel it with your fingers. But after the bulk is gone a good sanding would probably be best. Maybe even a small bit of Goo Gone.
                >
                > Wolferam von Gorlicz

              • Kirk Morrison
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 14, 2009
                  try denatured alcohol, it works on most lacquers, and such.

                  Kirk

                  "He who has honor need not fear death."

                  Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008

                  My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

                  To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mackay1783@...
                  Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:21:39 +0000
                  Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Removing gasket sealer