Re: [SCA-Archery] hay bale backing

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
      Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.

      James

      On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Carolus wrote:

      > There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
      > this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
      > three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
      > system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
      > public use and they worked well.
      > Carolus
      >
      > At 01:49 PM 6/10/2009, you wrote:
      >> The arrows might nick the leading edge of the strap if you hit it
      >> with the
      >> very point of the arrow but otherwise yes, they bounce off. The
      >> arrows are
      >> seeing the narrowest edge of the strap and the strap is under very
      >> strong
      >> tension. Arrows only tend to get damaged by the clamp, or hooks
      >> that link
      >> together at the ends of the straps. Such damage is not that
      >> common, and
      >> usually not much worse than hitting something under the target,
      >> such as the
      >> pallet that they sit on to keep them level and off the ground. I'm
      >> considering adjusting the setup so that the ratchets are at the
      >> bottom right
      >> where the strap goes under the bale, which would put the hooks
      >> inside the
      >> pallet as well, and might keep everything even farther away from the
      >> target. There's always someone that's eventually going to hit
      >> that spot,
      >> though, given enough time.
      >>
      >> I don't think you could get the baling wire as tight as the straps
      >> are
      >> holding it, though you might be able to. You might also be able
      >> to wrap
      >> nylon webbing (similar material as the straps) around it and tie
      >> that as
      >> tight as the clamps, but again it'd be hard to get them *that* tight.

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
        It uses nylon straps.
        Carolus

        At 03:28 PM 6/10/2009, James of the Lake wrote:
        >Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.
        >
        > James
        >
        >On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Carolus wrote:
        >
        > > There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
        > > this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
        > > three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
        > > system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
        > > public use and they worked well.
        > > Carolus
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
          Thank you. I am familiar with Ethafoam. I use it for portable mats.
          It is very good, but expensive. There is as type of construction
          insulation foam that has been used with good results. I believe that
          it is what they use at Estrella for the archery war point targets.
          It is not as expensive as Ethafoam and comes in four by eight
          sheets. I would need enough to put behind several sets of three high
          hay bales.

          Jon