RE: [SCA-Archery] hay bale backing

  • Harry Billings
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
      Have not worked with wire tied bales but just don't think the wire would take being that tight. If you could get a banding set up then you could tighten things up with the ratcheting straps and band it there and probably hold.

      plachoya
      Ansteorra

      What happens when you hit one of the straps? Do the arrows bounce off?

      I suppose you could use the ratchetting straps to compress the bales,
      retighten the baling wire and remove the straps.

      Jon

      .

    • Carl Nelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
        the material you are looking for is called Etha-Foam check your local phone book for suppliers.

        YISCARL NELSON
        Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
        236 S. Ave. 55 Apt. D
        323-344-7030H, 626-297-6513C
        Capt. of Archers Barony of the Angels

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
          There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
          this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
          three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
          system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
          public use and they worked well.
          Carolus

          At 01:49 PM 6/10/2009, you wrote:
          >The arrows might nick the leading edge of the strap if you hit it with the
          >very point of the arrow but otherwise yes, they bounce off. The arrows are
          >seeing the narrowest edge of the strap and the strap is under very strong
          >tension. Arrows only tend to get damaged by the clamp, or hooks that link
          >together at the ends of the straps. Such damage is not that common, and
          >usually not much worse than hitting something under the target, such as the
          >pallet that they sit on to keep them level and off the ground. I'm
          >considering adjusting the setup so that the ratchets are at the bottom right
          >where the strap goes under the bale, which would put the hooks inside the
          >pallet as well, and might keep everything even farther away from the
          >target. There's always someone that's eventually going to hit that spot,
          >though, given enough time.
          >
          >I don't think you could get the baling wire as tight as the straps are
          >holding it, though you might be able to. You might also be able to wrap
          >nylon webbing (similar material as the straps) around it and tie that as
          >tight as the clamps, but again it'd be hard to get them *that* tight.
        • James of the Lake
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
            Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.

            James

            On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Carolus wrote:

            > There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
            > this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
            > three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
            > system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
            > public use and they worked well.
            > Carolus
            >
            > At 01:49 PM 6/10/2009, you wrote:
            >> The arrows might nick the leading edge of the strap if you hit it
            >> with the
            >> very point of the arrow but otherwise yes, they bounce off. The
            >> arrows are
            >> seeing the narrowest edge of the strap and the strap is under very
            >> strong
            >> tension. Arrows only tend to get damaged by the clamp, or hooks
            >> that link
            >> together at the ends of the straps. Such damage is not that
            >> common, and
            >> usually not much worse than hitting something under the target,
            >> such as the
            >> pallet that they sit on to keep them level and off the ground. I'm
            >> considering adjusting the setup so that the ratchets are at the
            >> bottom right
            >> where the strap goes under the bale, which would put the hooks
            >> inside the
            >> pallet as well, and might keep everything even farther away from the
            >> target. There's always someone that's eventually going to hit
            >> that spot,
            >> though, given enough time.
            >>
            >> I don't think you could get the baling wire as tight as the straps
            >> are
            >> holding it, though you might be able to. You might also be able
            >> to wrap
            >> nylon webbing (similar material as the straps) around it and tie
            >> that as
            >> tight as the clamps, but again it'd be hard to get them *that* tight.

          • Carolus
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
              It uses nylon straps.
              Carolus

              At 03:28 PM 6/10/2009, James of the Lake wrote:
              >Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.
              >
              > James
              >
              >On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Carolus wrote:
              >
              > > There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
              > > this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
              > > three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
              > > system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
              > > public use and they worked well.
              > > Carolus
            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
                Thank you. I am familiar with Ethafoam. I use it for portable mats.
                It is very good, but expensive. There is as type of construction
                insulation foam that has been used with good results. I believe that
                it is what they use at Estrella for the archery war point targets.
                It is not as expensive as Ethafoam and comes in four by eight
                sheets. I would need enough to put behind several sets of three high
                hay bales.

                Jon