Re: [SCA-Archery] hay bale backing

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
      What happens when you hit one of the straps? Do the arrows bounce off?

      I suppose you could use the ratchetting straps to compress the bales,
      retighten the baling wire and remove the straps.

      Jon

      On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Jeff Morton wrote:

      > I actually wrap a pair of ratcheting strap tiedowns around my bales
      > and this
      > compresses them so that we don't generally get punch-throughs. I check
      > their tension every practice and generally leave them on. Over the
      > first
      > few practices the bales tend to need a little extra tension added
      > but they
      > stabilize after that. On the downside... don't shoot off just past
      > the top
      > right of the bales, where I keep the ratchets, because you'll hit the
      > ratchet and damage it, and your arrow.
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, John edgerton
      > <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Have some loosely packed hay bales and I need a good backing
      > material
      > > to keep arrows and bolts from punching all the way through. Anyone
      > > have some suggestions on the best and cheapest material to use for
      > > backing either the backside of the bales or to put right behind the
      > > target in front of the bale? There is some type of construction foam
      > > that works well, but I do not know its name.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Jon, West

    • Jeff Morton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
        The arrows might nick the leading edge of the strap if you hit it with the
        very point of the arrow but otherwise yes, they bounce off. The arrows are
        seeing the narrowest edge of the strap and the strap is under very strong
        tension. Arrows only tend to get damaged by the clamp, or hooks that link
        together at the ends of the straps. Such damage is not that common, and
        usually not much worse than hitting something under the target, such as the
        pallet that they sit on to keep them level and off the ground. I'm
        considering adjusting the setup so that the ratchets are at the bottom right
        where the strap goes under the bale, which would put the hooks inside the
        pallet as well, and might keep everything even farther away from the
        target. There's always someone that's eventually going to hit that spot,
        though, given enough time.

        I don't think you could get the baling wire as tight as the straps are
        holding it, though you might be able to. You might also be able to wrap
        nylon webbing (similar material as the straps) around it and tie that as
        tight as the clamps, but again it'd be hard to get them *that* tight.

        On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

        > What happens when you hit one of the straps? Do the arrows bounce off?
        >
        > I suppose you could use the ratchetting straps to compress the bales,
        > retighten the baling wire and remove the straps.
        >
        > Jon
        >
        > On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Jeff Morton wrote:
        >

        > > I actually wrap a pair of ratcheting strap tiedowns around my bales
        > > and this
        > > compresses them so that we don't generally get punch-throughs. I check
        > > their tension every practice and generally leave them on. Over the
        > > first
        > > few practices the bales tend to need a little extra tension added
        > > but they
        > > stabilize after that. On the downside... don't shoot off just past
        > > the top
        > > right of the bales, where I keep the ratchets, because you'll hit the
        > > ratchet and damage it, and your arrow.
        > >
        > > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, John edgerton
        > > <sirjon1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Have some loosely packed hay bales and I need a good backing
        > > material
        > > > to keep arrows and bolts from punching all the way through. Anyone
        > > > have some suggestions on the best and cheapest material to use for
        > > > backing either the backside of the bales or to put right behind the
        > > > target in front of the bale? There is some type of construction foam
        > > > that works well, but I do not know its name.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > >
        > > > Jon, West

      • Harry Billings
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
          Have not worked with wire tied bales but just don't think the wire would take being that tight. If you could get a banding set up then you could tighten things up with the ratcheting straps and band it there and probably hold.

          plachoya
          Ansteorra

          What happens when you hit one of the straps? Do the arrows bounce off?

          I suppose you could use the ratchetting straps to compress the bales,
          retighten the baling wire and remove the straps.

          Jon

          .

        • Carl Nelson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
            the material you are looking for is called Etha-Foam check your local phone book for suppliers.

            YISCARL NELSON
            Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
            236 S. Ave. 55 Apt. D
            323-344-7030H, 626-297-6513C
            Capt. of Archers Barony of the Angels

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
              There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
              this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
              three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
              system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
              public use and they worked well.
              Carolus

              At 01:49 PM 6/10/2009, you wrote:
              >The arrows might nick the leading edge of the strap if you hit it with the
              >very point of the arrow but otherwise yes, they bounce off. The arrows are
              >seeing the narrowest edge of the strap and the strap is under very strong
              >tension. Arrows only tend to get damaged by the clamp, or hooks that link
              >together at the ends of the straps. Such damage is not that common, and
              >usually not much worse than hitting something under the target, such as the
              >pallet that they sit on to keep them level and off the ground. I'm
              >considering adjusting the setup so that the ratchets are at the bottom right
              >where the strap goes under the bale, which would put the hooks inside the
              >pallet as well, and might keep everything even farther away from the
              >target. There's always someone that's eventually going to hit that spot,
              >though, given enough time.
              >
              >I don't think you could get the baling wire as tight as the straps are
              >holding it, though you might be able to. You might also be able to wrap
              >nylon webbing (similar material as the straps) around it and tie that as
              >tight as the clamps, but again it'd be hard to get them *that* tight.
            • James of the Lake
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
                Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.

                James

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
                  It uses nylon straps.
                  Carolus

                  At 03:28 PM 6/10/2009, James of the Lake wrote:
                  >Metal straps will plane wood from the arrow shafts, though, when hit.
                  >
                  > James
                  >
                  >On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Carolus wrote:
                  >
                  > > There is a banding system sold at Harbor Freight which will do
                  > > this. Use the ratchet straps to compress the bales and then use
                  > > three bands ratcheted and clamped to hold them. We used a similar
                  > > system for the bales at the El Dorado Range (1984 Olympic range) for
                  > > public use and they worked well.
                  > > Carolus
                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10, 2009
                    Thank you. I am familiar with Ethafoam. I use it for portable mats.
                    It is very good, but expensive. There is as type of construction
                    insulation foam that has been used with good results. I believe that
                    it is what they use at Estrella for the archery war point targets.
                    It is not as expensive as Ethafoam and comes in four by eight
                    sheets. I would need enough to put behind several sets of three high
                    hay bales.

                    Jon