Re: Fwd: [LG_Archers] Archer's Paradox in Super Slow Motion

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2009
      While it shows you the danger of an underspined arrow, note that the spine of the arrow was less than half that of the bow. It was a 25-30 pound spined arrow shot out of a 70 pound bow.

      Since I don't see too many 70 pound bows out on the range, I would emphasize the importance of spine for fine-tuning one's shooting rather than the unlikely chance you are so underspined that it is going to be dangerous. Sure bring it up but don't go all motherhen about it.

      I think the more likely scenario for an arrow exploding at release would be one that developed a crack on the last end and wasn't inspected by the archer properly. So inspect your arrows after every end as you put them back into the quiver.

      In Service,
      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Cecil Hudson <metaldog00@...> wrote:

      > That's exactly the thought I had... It was swimming through the air. Very cool video. Also shows you the danger of having an arrow that is underspined for your bow.
      >
      > Cian
      >

      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > From: eadric@...
      > Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:29:09 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Fwd: [LG_Archers] Archer's Paradox in Super Slow Motion

      > The arrows look alive. I was immediately struck by the incredible
      >
      > action of the fletches and that the arrows move through the air like a
      >
      > fix swimming through water.
      >

      > -EA
      >

      > John edgerton wrote:
      >
      > > There is an excellent high speed/ slow motion video showing archers
      >
      > > paradox on youtube.
      >

      > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWrcpzuAp8
      >

      > > Jon

    • Carl Haicken
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
        Greetings,
        Every year, my local barony puts on a demo at a community medieval festival. While we like to have as many different SCA activities on display as possible, the limited space and large crowds preclude an active archery range. Thus, we're limited to a table/camp style, show-and-tell demo. The park where the demo is held also has a 'no fires' rule.
        In the past, the archery part of the demo has been a display including a couple of low poundage stick bows, a Mongolian Recurve (yep, its the real deal, but a limb twist relegates it to wall-hanger status), whatever modern bows people show up with, eight period style arrows with a variety of heads in an arrow bag, and a mail shirt with numerous puncture holes from the demo that allows an archery range. Interactive components include allowing spectators, under supervision, to draw back and ease-down on bows, and if spectators are interested, they can learn how to make a Flemish twist string.
        While the demo is OK, I would like to spruce things up a bit, make the demo more interactive. Any suggestions?
        Many thanks for the assistance and advice.
        - Friderich GrimmeEast KingdomCrown Province of Ostgardr

      • angusmacmichael@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
          Since I don't know your space limits, this is just a thought. Hang a heavy canvas tarp and then shoot combat arrows and bolts into it. You may even be able to let spectators shoot a couple of the bows and crossbows.
          We were able to use the side of a building at a Demo here in the shire of Heatherwyne, Caid. that was about 5 r 6 years ago.

          Angus Mac Michael