Staffing shoots

  • Saethryth Seolforlocc
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2009
      Hello,

      I am looking for suggestions  on how many people and marshals are needed to run a shoot with 50 archers of all abilities (never shot before, to very experienced).  My challenges are: I never know what the proportion of newcomers to experienced is going to be; and people tend to arrive throughout the day.

      I'm thinking of:
         1 person to do "lists" (sign ups for various shoots)
         1 archer to do on-the-spot repairs ir adjustments (last weekend
      we did numerous dental-floss string nocks, 2 string servings, 3
      spine-testings, 1 bow-poundage measurement, 2 metal string nock adjustments)
         1 marshal to do safety inspections
         1 marshal to call the archers and run the range.
        -->  1 marshal to do instruction per 2 inexperienced adults and/or youth
         Plus:  1 marshal-in-the-box to call time so the real marshal can watch what the shooters are doing.

       Does this seem reasonable?

    • obsidian@raex.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2009
        Greetings

        ----- 1 Marshal-in-Charge, to supervise overall, and
        do the event reports afterward. This person can do the sign-ups and other
        similar tasks, as well.
        ----- 1 inspection marshal, who can also help
        with simple repairs and physical tests of tackle. An extra marshal or two
        here wouldn't be amiss, if you can find 'em.
        ----- 1 marshal per 10
        participants on the line, but a minimum of two line marshals in any case
        (one at each end of the Release line); so, if you have a line of 5, 2
        marshals / a line of 12, 2 marshals / a line of 26, 3 marshals, and so on.
        An additional marshal can be designated as a timekeeper for speed shoots,
        or you can use recordings if they can be heard clearly by everyone. A
        further additional marshal may be designated as a scorekeeper and
        recorder, if other arrangements haven't been made, and always assuming you
        have the minimum two line marshals actually watching the field and the
        archers (hint: the MiC can fit scorekeeping into the other paperwork
        aspects quite easily).
        ----- As many instruction marshals as you can
        find conveniently and they aren't otherwise occupied - if you think you
        can provide  one per two students, well enough.
        ----- Several
        marshals who have experience in or authorization for Youth activities
        would be helpful. You don't describe the physical range, but if you have
        more than one range, designating a practice range and/or a Youth range
        helps. Remember the general rule of a minimum of two line marshals per
        separate line or range.
        ----- However many MiTs you can rope in to
        assist and be trained throughout the day.

        All the foregoing are
        basically Pennsic standards, modified just a tad. I was archocrat for P
        31, 32, 33, 34, so I'm quite familiar with large masses of archers of all
        skill levels drifting onto a range at all hours of the day

        Cordially;
        Baron Nigel FitzMaurice

        On Tue, May 26, 2009
        5:20 pm, Saethryth Seolforlocc wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking for suggestions  on how many people and marshals
        are needed
        > to run a shoot with 50 archers of all abilities
        (never shot before, to
        > very experienced).  My challenges
        are: I never know what the proportion of
        > newcomers to
        experienced is going to be; and people tend to arrive
        > throughout
        the day.

        > I'm thinking of:

           1 person to do "lists" (sign ups for various
        shoots)
        >    1 archer to do on-the-spot repairs ir
        adjustments (last weekend
        > we did numerous dental-floss string
        nocks, 2 string servings, 3
        > spine-testings, 1 bow-poundage
        measurement, 2 metal string nock
        > adjustments)

           1 marshal to do safety inspections
        >    1
        marshal to call the archers and run the range.

        -->  1 marshal to do instruction per 2 inexperienced adults and/or
        youth
        >    Plus:  1 marshal-in-the-box to call time
        so the real marshal can watch
        > what the shooters are doing.
        >
        >  Does this seem reasonable?
        >

        > [Non-text portions of
        this message have been removed]

        --

        "Ausculta, feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans
        non fundamentum pro formula administrationis est."