Re: [SCA-Archery] waivers

  • loreleiElkins@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , May 8, 2009
      Greetings Dalton,

      We have a regular archery practice at my home in North Carolina - Atlantia.
      I maintain good range safety, do bow inspections, and keep the
      goofing-around off the range (fair amount on the sidelines *smile*).We do keep track
      of who was at practice, but we've never felt the need for any kind of
      waiver. I imagine from a liability perspective, that might change if someone
      tripped, fell and tried to sue me for being a klutz.

      Lorelei

      In a message dated 5/8/2009 6:56:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ice.tiger@... writes:

      Good day to the list,
      We are having a discussion in our area about waivers and sign in sheets
      for archery practice. My question is, do you require either or both for
      archery practices in your home area? I am curious to know how things are done in
      difeerent areas/Kingdoms.
      Dalton

      Lorelei
      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
      =May5509AvgfooterNO115)

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 27 , May 8, 2009
        Greetings Dalton,

        This is covered in the SCA FAQ over at sca.org http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/scafaq.pdf

        The gist of it is that there was a past board ruling that waivers are not required at archery or thrown weapon practises because waivers are required only for activities where the target is another person.

        That said, I have used the roster waiver form as a sign-in sheet for special archery practises. I do tell people that is why I am using it otherwise I wouldn't get the blue card holders to sign it. We also do mixed martial arts practises where heavy and rapier are also going on - so then everyone needs to sign a waiver or show their blue card.

        But, most of the time, we don't require them at Lions Gate practises.

        In Service,
        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "dalton_arundel4" <ice.tiger@...> wrote:

        > Good day to the list,
        > We are having a discussion in our area about waivers and sign in sheets for archery practice. My question is, do you require either or both for archery practices in your home area? I am curious to know how things are done in difeerent areas/Kingdoms.
        > Dalton

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 27 , May 8, 2009
          I should add that I only do the sign-in sheet for practises where we are charging a drop-in fee.

          Our normal outdoor practise range requires the archers to join the Burnaby Archers. We don't charge an additional fee on top of that.

          James
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 27 , May 8, 2009
            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            I have a relevant question. Given the case of someone like Lorelei
            who holds practices on their own property, if they have participants
            sign a waiver and have a marshal on hand to inspect equipment and run
            the line, are these people covered by the SCA's insurance?

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            >Greetings Dalton,
            >
            >We have a regular archery practice at my home in North Carolina - Atlantia.
            >I maintain good range safety, do bow inspections, and keep the
            >goofing-around off the range (fair amount on the sidelines
            >*smile*).We do keep track
            >of who was at practice, but we've never felt the need for any kind of
            >waiver. I imagine from a liability perspective, that might change if someone
            >tripped, fell and tried to sue me for being a klutz.
            >
            >Lorelei
            >

            >In a message dated 5/8/2009 6:56:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            ><mailto:ice.tiger%40shaw.ca>ice.tiger@... writes:
            >
            >Good day to the list,
            >We are having a discussion in our area about waivers and sign in sheets
            >for archery practice. My question is, do you require either or both for
            >archery practices in your home area? I am curious to know how things
            >are done in
            >difeerent areas/Kingdoms.
            >Dalton
            >
            >Lorelei
            >**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
            >steps!
            >(<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd>http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
            >=May5509AvgfooterNO115)

          • James of the Lake
            Message 5 of 27 , May 8, 2009
              On May 8, 2009, at 8:51 PM, James Koch wrote:

              > Gentlemen & Ladies,
              >>
              > I have a relevant question. Given the case of someone like Lorelei
              > who holds practices on their own property, if they have participants
              > sign a waiver and have a marshal on hand to inspect equipment and run
              > the line, are these people covered by the SCA's insurance?

              Yes. If the practices are advertised in the local newsletter and are
              open to all.

              James
            • ld.blackmoon
              Message 6 of 27 , May 8, 2009
                greetings

                are they still covered if they are holding regularly scheduled , advertised , missile practices without haveing the participants sign waivers ?? ( there is an officer and several marshals present )
                most archers are members, but we get pretty regular additions of newbies as well.
                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                Arthur

                Message 7 of 27 , May 8, 2009
                  The Society Seneschal's Handbook, p. 10, says non-combat-related
                  practices do not require waivers, but your kingdom seneschal may
                  still require them and is entitled to do so, so see whether your
                  kingdom seneschal has a handbook or some other document addressing
                  this. (Such documents may be found under the seneschal's page linked
                  from your kingdom website.) I don't think Caid requires waivers for
                  target archery practices; at least I don't remember them being
                  required for practiced on our baronial range, which I own.

                  Also see James Wolfden's email posted today in this thread concerning
                  this topic in the SCA FAQ.

                  James

                • obsidian@raex.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                    Greetings

                    ----- Regarding waivers and sign-ins generally: in
                    the Midrealm, there is no requirement to use waivers at a simple practice,
                    and it isn't done, normally. Individual marshals at local practices can,
                    of course, use sign-in sheets, scorecards, waivers, whatever; there is no
                    requirement NOT to use them either; but generally I think folks would
                    think that sort of thing much more officious than need be for a simple
                    practice. Bear in mind that, as far as the overall SCA goes, a seperate
                    waiver for an archery range isn't required even for an event, which leads
                    to part two...

                    ----- Regarding Gladius' question about
                    insurance. If a practice is officially announced at a regular meeting,
                    and/or if it is published in a recognized Scadian publication such as a
                    local newsletter or whatnot, then the practice is regarded as an
                    "event", and insurance applies, I believe. And, other such
                    circumstances, the presence of a warranted marshal is required (if the
                    kingdom in which this takes places has recognized and warranted TAMs - I
                    think all kingdoms do, now, ne ce pas?). This is why, when I was
                    Archer-General, if someone came to me and said "there's a group of us
                    that would like to practice, but there are no marshals in our area, what
                    can we do?" I would advise them simply to go to someone's backyard or
                    a local range and practice to their hearts content - without involving the
                    SCA as such by announcing or advertising it in a formal sense within SCA
                    venues or media. So, the case that Gladius discusses (and by extension,
                    what Lorelei is getting at) is - a sign-in sheet does not create
                    liability. The presence of a warranted marshal does not create liability
                    as such. Requiring the signing of a waiver is a grey area, and could be
                    implied to apply a liability if you wanted to argue it. Standing up in a
                    regular meeting and announcing that you are going to hold a practice on
                    such-and-such a day, or publishing said info in your shire newsletter,
                    does create an official SCA venue, and under that circumstance, all
                    relevant kingdom and SCA Inc. regulations are in force.

                    Nigel

                    writes:

                    >>Good day to the list,
                    >>We
                    are having a discussion in our area about waivers and sign in sheets
                    >>for archery practice. My question is, do you require either or
                    both for
                    >>archery practices in your home area? I am curious to
                    know how things
                    >>are done in
                    >>difeerent
                    areas/Kingdoms.
                    >>Dalton
                    >>
                    >>Lorelei
                    >>**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
                    just 2
                    >> easy
                    >>steps!
                    >>(<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd>http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                    >>=May5509AvgfooterNO115)
                    >>
                    >>[Non-text
                    portions of this message have been removed]

                    --
                    "Ausculta,
                    feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii dispensans non fundamentum pro

                  • Ronald Klick
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                      Greetings to everyone,

                      I have a further question. In my case, I am not able to forecast ahead to set dates to be
                      published in our local newsletter. I therefore post an announcement on our local groups
                      email list. I have been told that this constitutes sufficient notice that this can then be considered an "official" practice for which I can submit scores for Royal Rounds and
                      IKAC Rounds. Does this then also mean it is covered as an official practice for SCA
                      insurance? I am a warranted marshal in the East Kingdom, and I have a warranted
                      children's officer present when I run kids IKAC rounds.

                      Osmond de Berwic

> [...]

                      off the range (fair amount on the sidelines
                      >>*smile*).We do
                      keep track
                      >>of who was at practice, but we've never felt the
                      need for any kind of
                      >>waiver. I imagine from a liability
                      perspective, that might change if
                      >> someone
                      >>tripped, fell and tried to sue me for being a klutz.
                      >>
                      >>Lorelei
                      >>

                      >>In a message dated 5/8/2009 6:56:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight
                      Time,
                      >><mailto:ice. tiger%40shaw. ca>ice.tiger@shaw. ca
                      writes:

                      >>Good day to the list,
                      >>We
                      are having a discussion in our area about waivers and sign in sheets
                      >>for archery practice. My question is, do you require either or
                      both for
                      >>archery practices in your home area? I am curious to
                      areas/Kingdoms.

                      --
                      http://web.raex. com/~obsidian/ regindex. html

                    • obsidian@raex.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                        Greetings

                        Correct. Publication on a recognized Email list,
                        while it doesn't have quite the legal force of printed document, is
                        nevertheless sufficient to be a Official Notification, and therefore
                        invokes all current and relevant regulations.

                        Nigel

                        From: obsidian@...
                        <obsidian@...>
                        > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] waivers
                        > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                        > Date: Saturday, May 9,
                        2009, 5:29 AM

                        > Greetings
                        >
                        > ----- Regarding waivers and sign-ins generally: in
                        > the Midrealm, there is no requirement to use waivers at a simple
                        practice,
                        > and it isn't done, normally. Individual marshals at
                        local practices can,
                        > of course, use sign-in sheets, scorecards,
                        waivers, whatever; there is no
                        > requirement NOT to use them
                        either; but generally I think folks would
                        > think that sort of
                        thing much more officious than need be for a simple
                        > practice.
                        Bear in mind that, as far as the overall SCA goes, a seperate

                        waiver for an archery range isn't required even for an event, which
                        leads
                        > to part two...
                        >
                        > ----- Regarding
                        Gladius' question about
                        > insurance. If a practice is officially
                        announced at a regular meeting,
                        > and/or if it is published in a
                        recognized Scadian publication such as a
                        > local newsletter or
                        whatnot, then the practice is regarded as an
                        > "event",
                        and insurance applies, I believe. And, other such
                        > circumstances,
                        the presence of a warranted marshal is required (if the
                        > kingdom
                        in which this takes places has recognized and warranted TAMs - I

                        think all kingdoms do, now, ne ce pas?). This is why, when I was

                        Archer-General, if someone came to me and said "there's a group of
                        us
                        > that would like to practice, but there are no marshals in our
                        area, what
                        > can we do?" I would advise them simply to go to
                        someone's backyard or
                        > a local range and practice to their hearts
                        content - without involving the
                        > SCA as such by announcing or
                        advertising it in a formal sense within SCA
                        > venues or media. So,
                        the case that Gladius discusses (and by extension,
                        > what Lorelei
                        is getting at) is - a sign-in sheet does not create
                        > liability.
                        The presence of a warranted marshal does not create liability
                        > as
                        such. Requiring the signing of a waiver is a grey area, and could be
                        > implied to apply a liability if you wanted to argue it. Standing up
                        in a
                        > regular meeting and announcing that you are going to hold a
                        practice on
                        > such-and-such a day, or publishing said info in your
                        shire newsletter,
                        > does create an official SCA venue, and under
                        that circumstance, all
                        > relevant kingdom and SCA Inc. regulations
                        are in force.

                        > Nigel
                        >
                        > On Fri, May
                        8, 2009 11:51 pm, James Koch wrote:
                        >> Gentlemen &
                        Ladies,

> [...]
                        >>>
                        >>>Lorelei
                        >>>********** ****A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See
                        yours in
                        > just 2
                        >>> easy
                        >>>steps!
                        >>>(<http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/
                        100126575x122132 2931x1201367171/
                        >>> aol?redir= http://www.
                        freecreditreport .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072&

                        hmpgID=115& bcd>http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122132
                        >>> 2931x1201367171/ aol?redir= http://www. freecreditreport
                        >>> .com/pm/default. aspx?sc=668072& hmpgID=115& bcd
                        >>>=May5509Avgfooter NO115)
                        >>>
                        >>>[Non-text
                        > portions of this message have been
                        removed]

                        > removed]
                        >>

                        > --
                        > "Ausculta,
                        > feminae novae in lacunis recumbens gladii
                        est."

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                          I would recommend that any branch marshall read the Society Seneschal Handbook even if you are not intending on ever being a seneschal. It will give great insight into how our game is played behind the scenes.

                          Your group Seneschal must know that the event is occurring, it must be publicized to the group (this can be electronically), and you must conform to Society/Kingdom laws.

                          If you can, plan a regular scheduled practise with the option that it could be cancelled.

                          In Service,
                          James

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings to everyone,
                          >
                          > I have a further question. In my case, I am not able to forecast ahead to set dates to be
                          > published in our local newsletter. I therefore post an announcement on our local groups
                          > email list. I have been told that this constitutes sufficient notice that this can then be considered an "official" practice for which I can submit scores for Royal Rounds and
                          > IKAC Rounds. Does this then also mean it is covered as an official practice for SCA
                          > insurance? I am a warranted marshal in the East Kingdom, and I have a warranted
                          > children's officer present when I run kids IKAC rounds.
                          >
                          > Osmond de Berwic

                        • Carolus
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                            Two items:
                            1) An event need not be published to be covered by insurance - all
                            SCA sponsored activities are covered. See the Seneschal's Handbook,
                            pg 22 et al. This is a change from older rules
                            2) The signing of a waiver cannot be used to imply liability. This
                            is an urban myth. Waivers will not prevent lawsuits, they only make
                            them easier to win. The waiver is similar to the informed consent
                            form one signs at a doctor's office - is says you know the risks and
                            accept them willingly. The only difference in having a waiver or not
                            is that if no waiver is required it can be argued that the event
                            organizer(s) knew of the danger and concealed it thus making it
                            harder to win a suit.

                            That said, when I ran archery for Caid I asked for corporate opinion
                            and was told no waivers needed at archery practice.

                            Carolus
                            former Seneschal who reads the current handbooks

                          • James of the Lake
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                              With regard to (1), the Caid Seneschal's Handbook, 8th ed., p. 20,
                              states, however that a practice must be sponsored by an SCA branch,
                              registered with the group seneschal and publicized to at least to the
                              members of that branch and open to any of them to be insured.
                              Publication in a branch newsletter is one way of meeting the
                              "publicized" and invitational requirements and implies branch
                              sponsorship and seneschal approval, especially for regular practices
                              over an indefinite periods.

                              James

                            • Carolus
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                Note: this is specific to Caid and not to the Society as a whole. As
                                James points out, check your local rules - they may have additional
                                requirements.
                                I will note, however that insurance requirements are set at society
                                level, not Kingdom, thus while your kingdom may require specific
                                conditions, they may not really matter in the event of a claim.

                                Carolus

                              • James of the Lake
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                  > On May 9, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Carolus wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> I will note, however that insurance requirements are set at society
                                  >> level, not Kingdom, thus while your kingdom may require specific
                                  >> conditions, they may not really matter in the event of a claim.

                                  Not when the Society seneschal specifically delegates relevant rule-
                                  making authority to the kingdom seneschals and that said seneschals
                                  (as well as local branch seneschals) are specifically legal agents of
                                  the Society.

                                  However, Carolus and I have indeed been referring to our direct
                                  experiences in Caid over a number of years. I find it easier to cite
                                  our kingdom's seneschal's handbook and relate it to my experience.
                                  Probably since I am not a lawyer, I sometimes find the Society
                                  handbook somewhat vague on specifics.

                                  James
                                • Carolus
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                    Actually, in this instance authority cannot be delegated. Insurance
                                    policies are governed by contract law and exist between the issuer
                                    and the policyholder (in this case the SCA,Inc.) What the Society
                                    Seneschal can delegate is the authority to set rules as to what
                                    constitutes an SCA sanctioned event in a local area. Obviously, if
                                    the local rules for sanctioning an event are stricter than society
                                    standards, the event will not be insured due to the terms of the
                                    policy but we cannot set conditions for insurability on our own.
                                    Carolus

                                    At 11:58 AM 5/9/2009, you wrote:

                                    > > On May 9, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Carolus wrote:
                                    > >>

                                    > >> I will note, however that insurance requirements are set at society
                                    > >> level, not Kingdom, thus while your kingdom may require specific
                                    > >> conditions, they may not really matter in the event of a claim.
                                    > >>

                                    >Not when the Society seneschal specifically delegates relevant rule-
                                    >making authority to the kingdom seneschals and that said seneschals
                                    >(as well as local branch seneschals) are specifically legal agents of
                                    >the Society.
                                    >
                                    >However, Carolus and I have indeed been referring to our direct
                                    >experiences in Caid over a number of years. I find it easier to cite
                                    >our kingdom's seneschal's handbook and relate it to my experience.
                                    >Probably since I am not a lawyer, I sometimes find the Society
                                    >handbook somewhat vague on specifics.
                                    >
                                    > James
                                  • James of the Lake
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                      On May 9, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Carolus wrote:

                                      > Obviously, if
                                      > the local rules for sanctioning an event are stricter than society
                                      > standards, the event will not be insured due to the terms of the
                                      > policy but we cannot set conditions for insurability on our own.

                                      I don't agree. If the local rules were LOOSER than what the terms of
                                      the policy requires, then the event would not be covered if these
                                      rules did not comply with the terms of the insurer's contract, but
                                      additional rules that still fell within the scope of the contract
                                      should not negate it.

                                      Specifically, within the context of this topic on waivers, Society
                                      Seneschal's Handbook, October 2005 ed. (the latest), p. 5, paragraph
                                      X.A.3. "Individual Kingdoms or site owners may impose additional or
                                      more stringent restrictions at their discretion" as to when waivers
                                      are required.

                                      James
                                    • obsidian@raex.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                        Correct, waivers cannot negate the possibility of being sued. But
                                        customary SCA practice for a very long while has been to provide a paper
                                        trail for informed consent, and that is the sense in which I understood
                                        the original query.

                                        Nigel

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 9, 2009
                                          True, they may set more stringent regulations in terms of society
                                          operations but they may NOT change the terms of a contract with a
                                          third party and this is where the insurability of an event comes in -
                                          it is in the contract between the SCA, Inc. and the insurance
                                          company, the kingdom has no standing. So while we may set more
                                          stringent regulations as to what constitutes a sanctioned event we
                                          cannot change the terms of the insurance contract. The effect is the
                                          same but the mechanism is different and in terms of contract law the
                                          mechanism is everything.
                                          Carolus

                                          At 02:40 PM 5/9/2009, you wrote:

                                          >On May 9, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Carolus wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Obviously, if
                                          > > the local rules for sanctioning an event are stricter than society
                                          > > standards, the event will not be insured due to the terms of the
                                          > > policy but we cannot set conditions for insurability on our own.
                                          > >

                                          >I don't agree. If the local rules were LOOSER than what the terms of
                                          >the policy requires, then the event would not be covered if these
                                          >rules did not comply with the terms of the insurer's contract, but
                                          >additional rules that still fell within the scope of the contract
                                          >should not negate it.
                                          >
                                          >Specifically, within the context of this topic on waivers, Society
                                          >Seneschal's Handbook, October 2005 ed. (the latest), p. 5, paragraph
                                          >X.A.3. "Individual Kingdoms or site owners may impose additional or
                                          >more stringent restrictions at their discretion" as to when waivers
                                          >are required.
                                          >
                                          > James
                                        • James Koch
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 25, 2009
                                            Gentlemen & Ladies,

                                            For a number of years now we have been seeing discussions about new
                                            shoot formats. Now we are also seeing discussions about new shoots
                                            for this upcoming Pennsic. I have a rudimentary idea. Why not hold
                                            a Champion Of The Known World shoot at this coming Pennsic. Any
                                            archer can participate with one condition to be related later. There
                                            will be two winners. One for hand bow and one for cross bow. Each
                                            winner will be awarded a trophy of some sort. The sort of belt that
                                            prize fighters wear would be cool. The condition would be that the
                                            participants would all agree that if they won, they would attend and
                                            host a similar shoot the following year at Estrella or Gulf Wars
                                            where they would defend their title against all comers.

                                            So let's discuss all the logistics and similar issues entailed.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 25, 2009
                                              Already been done. At Estrella for some years, then the organizers
                                              got better and changed the name to Estrella War Champion.

                                              James

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 26, 2009
                                                James,

                                                Perhaps we can do a similar shoot at Pennsic and another can take
                                                place at Gulf Wars. The rules of the shoots could actually be quite
                                                different. It would be like the Trifecta of SCA archery. A person
                                                could resolve to shoot in all three. Of course the chances of
                                                winning all three in a given year, the triple crown, would be nearly
                                                zero, but it would be worth a try. An archer could figure his
                                                relative rank by a simple percentile average.

                                                What are the rules of the Estrella shoot, or does it change from year to year?

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 26, 2009
                                                  The Estrella War Archery Champion Tournament (Ewac) consists of three
                                                  competitions run simultaneously (hand bow, crossbow, youth). Each
                                                  archer first shoots a qualification Royal Round; top 5 archers in
                                                  each kingdom for each category advance to the finals, which is an
                                                  IKAC. All shot on 60cm FITA targets.

                                                  Normally I'd direct you to the treaty page on the Estrella War site
                                                  for details, but I see there's no link to the last war this time.

                                                  Lots of opportunity to do period-style shooting at other events as
                                                  part of an overall SCA-wide championship.

                                                  James

                                                  On May 26, 2009, at 9:32 PM, James Koch wrote:

                                                  > James,
                                                  >>
                                                  > Perhaps we can do a similar shoot at Pennsic and another can take
                                                  > place at Gulf Wars. The rules of the shoots could actually be quite
                                                  > different. It would be like the Trifecta of SCA archery. A person
                                                  > could resolve to shoot in all three. Of course the chances of
                                                  > winning all three in a given year, the triple crown, would be nearly
                                                  > zero, but it would be worth a try. An archer could figure his
                                                  > relative rank by a simple percentile average.
                                                  >>
                                                  > What are the rules of the Estrella shoot, or does it change from
                                                  > year to year?
                                                  >>
                                                  > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                                                  >>

                                                  >> At 11:01 PM 5/25/2009, you wrote:
                                                  >

                                                  >> Already been done. At Estrella for some years, then the organizers
                                                  >> got better and changed the name to Estrella War Champion.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> James
                                                  >>
                                                  >> On May 25, 2009, at 6:55 PM, James Koch wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >>> Gentlemen & Ladies,
                                                  >>>>
                                                  >>> For a number of years now we have been seeing discussions about new
                                                  >>> shoot formats. Now we are also seeing discussions about new shoots
                                                  >>> for this upcoming Pennsic. I have a rudimentary idea. Why not hold
                                                  >>> a Champion Of The Known World shoot at this coming Pennsic. Any
                                                  >>> archer can participate with one condition to be related later. There
                                                  >>> will be two winners. One for hand bow and one for cross bow. Each
                                                  >>> winner will be awarded a trophy of some sort. The sort of belt that
                                                  >>> prize fighters wear would be cool. The condition would be that the
                                                  >>> participants would all agree that if they won, they would attend and
                                                  >>> host a similar shoot the following year at Estrella or Gulf Wars
                                                  >>> where they would defend their title against all comers.
                                                  >>>>
                                                  >>> So let's discuss all the logistics and similar issues entailed.
                                                  >>>>
                                                  >>> Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                                • William Arwemakere
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 27, 2009
                                                    Hmm, I may have to go to an Estrella...

                                                    Do they still run the "Quick and the dead" tourney?

                                                    William Arwemakere

                                                    On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM, James of the Lake
                                                    <jotl2008@...>wrote:

                                                    > The Estrella War Archery Champion Tournament (Ewac) consists of three
                                                    > competitions run simultaneously (hand bow, crossbow, youth). Each
                                                    > archer first shoots a qualification Royal Round; top 5 archers in
                                                    > each kingdom for each category advance to the finals, which is an
                                                    > IKAC. All shot on 60cm FITA targets.
                                                    >
                                                    > Normally I'd direct you to the treaty page on the Estrella War site
                                                    > for details, but I see there's no link to the last war this time.
                                                    >
                                                    > Lots of opportunity to do period-style shooting at other events as
                                                    > part of an overall SCA-wide championship.
                                                    >
                                                    > James
                                                    >

                                                    > On May 26, 2009, at 9:32 PM, James Koch wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > Recent Activity
                                                    >
                                                    > - 2
                                                    > New Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMXQ4dGlkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI0MzQwMTg4NA-->
                                                    >
                                                    > Visit Your Group
                                                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdTUxbzlqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjQzNDAxODg0>
                                                    > Give Back
                                                    >
                                                    > Yahoo! for Good<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJsMG1mYmE2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMjU5NTMxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc2NzUwMwRzZWMDbmNtb2QEc2xrA2JyYW5kBHN0aW1lAzEyNDM0MDE4ODQ-;_ylg=1/SIG=11314uv3k/**http%3A//brand.yahoo.com/forgood>
                                                    >
                                                    > Get inspired
                                                    >
                                                    > by a good cause.
                                                    > Y! Toolbar
                                                    >
                                                    > Get it Free!<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJuaXB1OTB0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMjU5NTMxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc2NzUwMwRzZWMDbmNtb2QEc2xrA3Rvb2xiYXIEc3RpbWUDMTI0MzQwMTg4NA--;_ylg=1/SIG=11c6dvmk9/**http%3A//toolbar.yahoo.com/%3F.cpdl=ygrps>
                                                    >
                                                    > easy 1-click access
                                                    >
                                                    > to your groups.
                                                    > Yahoo! Groups

                                                    > in 3 easy steps.
                                                    >
                                                    > Connect with others.
                                                    > .

                                                  • James of the Lake
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 27, 2009
                                                      Dunno. Might have been a side event.

                                                      The main show is the war point shoot. Three days of novelties with
                                                      FITA's mostly confined to the practice range.

                                                      James