Re: [SCA-Archery] An amusing attempt

  • ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7, 2009
      greetings

      at least you were trying !!!

      better luck on your next attempt = )
      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
      Arthur
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Fritz
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:15 AM
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] An amusing attempt

      One of the neighborkid hoods tossed a hockey stick 'cause the blade had
      broken off. I said, "hmmm... straight wood, a little short but.. hmmm..."

      I attempted carving a kid's bow out of it. It was 4' long and I got it
      tillered out to 24#@12" when it failed.

      The problem?
      Vanity/silliness. I was trying to preserve the hockey stick paint on the
      back of the bow. I wanted to show its heritage. Bad plan. It had some
      dings in the wood (somewhat hidden by the paint) and, big surprise,
      that's where the back ripped out.

      Gonna check by the local rink for some adult-size sticks and plane the
      back smooth before proceeding.
      --
      Fritz
      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

    • Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2009
        When jameswolfden put fingers to keys it was 5/7/09 12:06 PM...

        > Fritz,
        >
        > As a good Canadian boy, I have been planning for years now to convert
        > a couple of hockey sticks (with the blade) into siyahs for horse bow.

        Hmmm... The laminations in the stick go what seems to be the wrong way,
        but if you cut the blades off and re-glue them at 90˚... you could have
        a very amusing bow.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2009
          When James Koch put fingers to keys it was 5/7/09 11:53 AM...

          > Fritz,
          > >
          > You are a genius! I believe hockey sticks are made of ash. They
          > would make great limbs for take down bows. I am so stealing your idea.

          Cool, just put a little 'FE' on the butt of the limbs for me, eh? ;)

          The lams are not necessarily all as clear and straight-grained as we
          want, I found a small knot in a lam in mine, fortunately I got to carve
          it away.