An amusing attempt

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7 8:15 AM
      One of the neighborkid hoods tossed a hockey stick 'cause the blade had
      broken off. I said, "hmmm... straight wood, a little short but.. hmmm..."

      I attempted carving a kid's bow out of it. It was 4' long and I got it
      tillered out to 24#@12" when it failed.

      The problem?
      Vanity/silliness. I was trying to preserve the hockey stick paint on the
      back of the bow. I wanted to show its heritage. Bad plan. It had some
      dings in the wood (somewhat hidden by the paint) and, big surprise,
      that's where the back ripped out.

      Gonna check by the local rink for some adult-size sticks and plane the
      back smooth before proceeding.
      --
      Fritz
      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 8:34 AM
        Old hockey sticks are also a source of ash-laminate for arrow shafts.
        I haven't tried it, but I'm told they make a heavy, but stout shaft.

        Calum

        Fritz wrote:
        > One of the neighborkid hoods tossed a hockey stick 'cause the blade
        > had broken off. I said, "hmmm... straight wood, a little short but..
        > hmmm..."
        >
        > I attempted carving a kid's bow out of it. It was 4' long and I got it
        > tillered out to 24#@12" when it failed.
        >
        > The problem?
        > Vanity/silliness. I was trying to preserve the hockey stick paint on the
        > back of the bow. I wanted to show its heritage. Bad plan. It had some
        > dings in the wood (somewhat hidden by the paint) and, big surprise,
        > that's where the back ripped out.
        >
        > Gonna check by the local rink for some adult-size sticks and plane the
        > back smooth before proceeding.
        > --
        > Fritz
        > Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

      • Robert Meyer
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 8:36 AM
          What are the sticks made out of? I'm thinking ash or maple. You might think about a linen or hickory backing. Course, that would cover up the logo and stuff... Clear fiberglass, maybe?

          Just my 2 cents, which in today's economy ain't worth much...

          Cheers!

          Robert

          --
          "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
          --Leonardo da Vinci

          Message 4 of 8 , May 7 8:53 AM
            Fritz,

            You are a genius! I believe hockey sticks are made of ash. They
            would make great limbs for take down bows. I am so stealing your idea.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            >At 11:15 AM 5/7/2009, Fritz wrote:

            >One of the neighborkid hoods tossed a hockey stick 'cause the blade had
            >broken off. I said, "hmmm... straight wood, a little short but.. hmmm..."
            >
            >I attempted carving a kid's bow out of it. It was 4' long and I got it
            >tillered out to 24#@12" when it failed.
            >
            >The problem?
            >Vanity/silliness. I was trying to preserve the hockey stick paint on the
            >back of the bow. I wanted to show its heritage. Bad plan. It had some
            >dings in the wood (somewhat hidden by the paint) and, big surprise,
            >that's where the back ripped out.
            >
            >Gonna check by the local rink for some adult-size sticks and plane the
            >back smooth before proceeding.
            >--
            >Fritz
            >Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7 9:06 AM
              Fritz,

              As a good Canadian boy, I have been planning for years now to convert a couple of hockey sticks (with the blade) into siyahs for horse bow.

              Good luck on the next attempt.

              James

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

              > One of the neighborkid hoods tossed a hockey stick 'cause the blade had
              > broken off. I said, "hmmm... straight wood, a little short but.. hmmm..."
              >
              > I attempted carving a kid's bow out of it. It was 4' long and I got it
              > tillered out to 24#@12" when it failed.
              >
              > The problem?
              > Vanity/silliness. I was trying to preserve the hockey stick paint on the
              > back of the bow. I wanted to show its heritage. Bad plan. It had some
              > dings in the wood (somewhat hidden by the paint) and, big surprise,
              > that's where the back ripped out.
              >
              > Gonna check by the local rink for some adult-size sticks and plane the
              > back smooth before proceeding.
              > --
              > Fritz
              > Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

            • ld.blackmoon
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7 9:20 AM
                greetings

                at least you were trying !!!

                better luck on your next attempt = )
                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun
                Arthur

                Message 7 of 8 , May 7 11:51 AM
                  When jameswolfden put fingers to keys it was 5/7/09 12:06 PM...

                  > Fritz,
                  >
                  > As a good Canadian boy, I have been planning for years now to convert
                  > a couple of hockey sticks (with the blade) into siyahs for horse bow.

                  Hmmm... The laminations in the stick go what seems to be the wrong way,
                  but if you cut the blades off and re-glue them at 90˚... you could have
                  a very amusing bow.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7 11:57 AM
                    When James Koch put fingers to keys it was 5/7/09 11:53 AM...

                    > Fritz,
                    > >
                    > You are a genius! I believe hockey sticks are made of ash. They
                    > would make great limbs for take down bows. I am so stealing your idea.

                    Cool, just put a little 'FE' on the butt of the limbs for me, eh? ;)

                    The lams are not necessarily all as clear and straight-grained as we
                    want, I found a small knot in a lam in mine, fortunately I got to carve
                    it away.