Re: [SCA-Archery] I would like to get involved

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2009
      Sounds like you are good to go. Contact you
      local group and find out when the next practice
      is and show up. They can guide you through the local procedure.
      Carolus, Caid

      At 02:41 PM 5/6/2009, you wrote:

      >I just started back in the SCA, Yesterday. I am
      >interested in getting into archery in Atlantia.
      >I have equipment, but it is for more modern
      >traditional archery, Bear recurve. What
      >equipment should I get or make? I have made a
      >bow in the past and I have the equipment to
      >fletch and crest arrows, I assume that that will
      >be okay, and I use a glove is that legal? Sorry
      >for all the newbie questions I looked at the SCA Website and got more confused.
      >

      >Kirk
      >

      >"He who has honor need not fear death."
      >

      >Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008
      >

      >My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

      >270.12.19/2099 - Release Date: 05/05/09 13:07:00
    • Kirk Morrison

        From: eulenhorst@...
        Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:29:39 -0700
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] I would like to get involved

        At 02:41 PM 5/6/2009, you wrote:

        >I just started back in the SCA, Yesterday. I am

        >interested in getting into archery in Atlantia.

        >I have equipment, but it is for more modern

        >traditional archery, Bear recurve. What

        >equipment should I get or make? I have made a

        >bow in the past and I have the equipment to

        >fletch and crest arrows, I assume that that will

        >be okay, and I use a glove is that legal? Sorry

        >for all the newbie questions I looked at the SCA Website and got more confused.

        >Kirk

        >"He who has honor need not fear death."

        >Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008

        >My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

        >270.12.19/2099 - Release Date: 05/05/09 13:07:00

      • Terrance Timmons
        Message 3 of 12 , May 6, 2009
          A recurve is quite acceptable, under the rules a take down is ok as well,
          but I dont prefer to go more modern than a traditional recurve, wood. I
          have some I use for loaners that are fibreglass, some wood looking, some
          not. main thing is the wood arrows, real feather fletching. the glove, I
          dont think there is a restriction, just no quick release or modern siting
          gear, no more than a simple flipper rest (of course this is in Atenveldt,
          might be a little different in Atlantia, so definitely get in touch with
          someone there, lookon the atlantia site to find out if you are in a local
          groups area, then see what they have for practices, all stuff im sure you
          have already thought of

          welcome back, and my condolences on the loss

          YIS
          Terrance of Granite Mountain
          Atenveldt

          From: eulenhorst@...
          Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:29:39 -0700

            From: eulenhorst@...

            Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:29:39 -0700

            At 02:41 PM 5/6/2009, you wrote:

            >I just started back in the SCA, Yesterday. I am

            >interested in getting into archery in Atlantia.

            >I have equipment, but it is for more modern

            >traditional archery, Bear recurve. What

            >equipment should I get or make? I have made a

            >bow in the past and I have the equipment to

            >fletch and crest arrows, I assume that that will

            >be okay, and I use a glove is that legal? Sorry

            >for all the newbie questions I looked at the SCA Website and got more

            >confused.

            >Kirk

            >"He who has honor need not fear death."

            >Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008

            >My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you

            >Windows LiveT: Keep your life in sync.

            >http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_BR_life_in_synch_052009

            >------------------------------------

            >--

            >270.12.19/2099 - Release Date: 05/05/09 13:07:00

          • Karl Karlsson
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2009
              Yep, a couple of observations from a newcommer...

              Wood arrows are hewn logs compared to modern carbon or aluminum target
              arrows, get a bunch and carefully select the ones that group well. Expect to
              loose some too, cause even at 40 yards unless you're shooting hunting bow
              weights these babys will need a lot of loft to reach the target.

              Those tiny plastic target rests are super accurate with lightweight aluminum
              arrows and the like, but in the flurry of timed rounds these could just hold
              you back.

              Shooting off the shelf is inherently less accurate but will allow the timed
              rounds to be more quantity versus quality. One aditional scoring arrow can
              make up for several that are merely placed well. You may want to try several
              different approaches to this and see what works best for you.

              Magnetic flipper rests are not allowed. :[

              Good luck,

              Karl

              On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Kirk Morrison <ka4pxk@...> wrote:

              > Thank you, for the advice, you welcome and your condolences. I will sped
              > the next few days practicing and fletching, I found out the local practice
              > is Sunday right after Mass so I will make a day of it.
              >

              > Kirk
              >

              > "He who has honor need not fear death."
              >

              > Eva Marie LeGrand Morrison 5/24/1958-6/26/2008
              >

              > My beloved wife, and my best friend, I miss you
              >

              > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              > From: TerryT@...
              > Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 16:42:46 -0700
              > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] I would like to get involved

              > A recurve is quite acceptable, under the rules a take down is ok as
              > well,
              >
              > but I dont prefer to go more modern than a traditional recurve, wood. I
              >
              > have some I use for loaners that are fibreglass, some wood looking, some
              >
              > not. main thing is the wood arrows, real feather fletching. the glove, I
              >
              > dont think there is a restriction, just no quick release or modern siting
              >
              > gear, no more than a simple flipper rest (of course this is in Atenveldt,
              >
              > might be a little different in Atlantia, so definitely get in touch with
              >
              > someone there, lookon the atlantia site to find out if you are in a local
              >
              > groups area, then see what they have for practices, all stuff im sure you
              >
              > have already thought of
              >

              > welcome back, and my condolences on the loss
              >

              > YIS
              >
              > Terrance of Granite Mountain
              >
              > Atenveldt

            • Kirk Morrison
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                Thanks for the advice and I will order a dozen shafts and get them ready ASAP, I shoot of the shelf or knuckle depending on the bow so that should be an easy change over to SCA style compared to coming from a compound like most of my buddies shoot.

              • Hobbe
                Message 7 of 12 , May 7, 2009
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kirk Morrison <ka4pxk@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the advice and I will order a dozen shafts and get them
                  > ready ASAP
                  > Kirk

                  The best advice I ever heard for new arrows is to take them one at a time, inspect it carefully for nicks or other damage, check that the point is secure, look for cracks in the nock, straighten it if neccessary and then kiss it goodbye.
                  ~Hobbe
                • Kirk Morrison

                    From: clanyoungvp@...
                    Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 01:30:41 +0000
                    Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: I would like to get involved

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kirk Morrison <ka4pxk@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the advice and I will order a dozen shafts and get them

                    > ready ASAP

                    > Kirk

                    The best advice I ever heard for new arrows is to take them one at a time, inspect it carefully for nicks or other damage, check that the point is secure, look for cracks in the nock, straighten it if neccessary and then kiss it goodbye.

                    ~Hobbe

                  • Laura
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2009
                      Where in Atlantia are you located? I am on their border and I can shot daily (weather permitting) at my range.

                      Laurens

                        From: Ladybaron@...
                        Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 14:25:49 +0000