Re: Looking for a bow

  • bluecat@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2009
      Chrissy,

      I am glad that Gladius brought this up, I didn't get online last night-
      Yes, by all means call Greybarr. He has 'Inner Nature' brand take downs
      which can be used for both target and Combat archery. If you are going
      to Midrealm Coronation next weekend I am sure he will be there. The
      Inner Nature bows have a nice notch that will work well for the tubular
      arrows used in the Middle Kingdom if you are going to do combat archery,
      and they work fine as a target bow.

      As to 28 inch draw- even at 5'2" tall, if she wants to shoot Combat
      Archery she wants a 28 inch draw bow- and in the Middle Kingdom, 35 lb
      pull or more.

      Just a note- All COMBAT arrows for hand bows SCA wide have to be 28
      inches long in shaft before the arrowhead, and all the hand bows have to
      be 28 inch draw. Nope- you can't over draw a 26. For the Middle Kingdom
      standards go look at:
      http://www.havenholde.net/35footspear/equipment.html#bows
      That whole website has tons of Combat Archery information.

      For the SCA standards, See:
      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/docs/marshal_handbook.pdf
      pages 14 to 17

      Dirk Edward of Frisia
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
        A slight clarification:

        > Just a note- All COMBAT arrows for hand bows SCA wide have to be 28
        > inches long in shaft before the arrowhead, and all the hand bows have to
        > be 28 inch draw. Nope- you can't over draw a 26.

        Combat arrows must be AT MOST 28" long in shaft. They can be shorter
        if someone so wishes.

        And bows are all measured at 28" of draw; however, that doesn't mean
        that you can't use a kid's bow that was originally measured for a 26"
        draw, and use it. Most of said fiberglass kids bows are fine with the
        extra 2" of overdraw.

        However, it will be measured at 28", and needs to be under 30# or 50#
        respective of the ammo being used, at 28"

        Siegfried

        Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
        Barony of Highland Foorde - Kingdom of Atlantia
        Society Combat Archery Marshal
      • Marybeth Griffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
          On 4/27/09, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...> wrote:
          > A slight clarification:
          >

          > > Just a note- All COMBAT arrows for hand bows SCA wide have to be 28
          > > inches long in shaft before the arrowhead, and all the hand bows have to
          > > be 28 inch draw. Nope- you can't over draw a 26.
          >

          > Combat arrows must be AT MOST 28" long in shaft. They can be shorter
          > if someone so wishes.
          >
          > And bows are all measured at 28" of draw; however, that doesn't mean
          > that you can't use a kid's bow that was originally measured for a 26"
          > draw, and use it. Most of said fiberglass kids bows are fine with the
          > extra 2" of overdraw.
          >
          > However, it will be measured at 28", and needs to be under 30# or 50#
          > respective of the ammo being used, at 28"
          >
          > Siegfried

          Chiming in - my bow is a Shakespear Sierra, 40# at 28" recurve. I
          don't draw to 28" because my arm is not that long, so I actually get
          about 36-37# out of it at my 27" draw. A friend was borrowing my bow
          for a few events till he got his own back, and his draw is almost 31"
          - so he was drawing it to 31" with his 32" arrows, and probably
          getting about 45# out of it. It worked fine, and still shoots fine for
          me at my shorter draw.

          But yes, for combat archery, the rules are what the poundage is at 28"
          and arrows can't be longer than that or else you could go over the
          weight limit too easily.

          Alana
        • William Arwemakere
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2009
            I have considered trying shorter arrows to save weight, and shooting with
            the corresponding shorter draw length. I'll try it someday, using my chrono
            to see what speed tradeoff there is. I have also considered building an
            overdraw for my bow, to use 24" arrows and a 28" draw.

            William