Re: [SCA-Archery] thumb ring archery

  • Kelly
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2009
      lajos kassia on horse back
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQy_VTAT8ck&feature=related

      his run starts at about 2:45 into the clip, 7 to 8 shafts on a galloping horse across a 90 meter course.

      as to which is better, I believe that it's a toss up between the two.

      tactics however is a complete different thing.
      " From the east came a whirlwind that swept all before it " refers to the main Mongolian battle tactic of several thousand mounted archers riding in a circular clock-wise pattern, just out of thrown weapons range, shooting into a fixed line until one of three things happened.
      1) everyone died...
      2) the line broke , general pursuit by heavy Calvary and archers until everyone was dead..
      3) the line charged with the Mongolian archers acting as bait drawing them into an ambush, then ..... everyone is dead

      what does Mongolian horseback archery have to do with Arab horseback archery ?

      after the fall of Persia to the Mongolians they learned how to do it.

      http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

      HULAGU KHAN
      1217 - 1265
      Mongol Ruler

      See World Map
      Back to People
      The grandson of Genghis Khan Hulagu Khan received the western provinces of the Mongol Empire.
      Hulagu Khan conquered Persia, eliminated the Abbasid caliphate, destroyed Baghdad ( a city of a million inhabitants) and established the Mongol empire of the Il-Khans in Persia.

      After the conquest of Aleppo and Damascus the advance of the Mongols into Egypt was broken by the bravery of the Mamluks (mercenary slaves from the Black Sea region) in 1260.

      as a interesting side note they were defeated by their own tactic of a feinted retreat drawing them into an ambush

    • Karl Karlsson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 22, 2009
        60mph = 88fps (almost 90fps) so roughly multiply or divide by 1.5

      • blkknighti@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2009
          Hey I never thanked you guys for the knowledge and opinion you all share on
          this subject... thanx!