Re: {Disarmed} [SCA-Archery] Proud of my little archer

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2009
      We used the shorter distances for the under 13 set. It was Teagen's first time shooting, so we weren't expecting too much. She enjoyed herself though, getting personal coaching from our Kingdom Archer, so I'm sure she'll be hitting the target soon.

      Randal

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@...> wrote:

      > We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on Saturday, the 11th.
      > Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds are great for
      > most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of the Adult Divisions
      > I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first IKAC score of 19.
      >
      > Osmond de Berwic
      > Barony of Stonemarche
      > East Kingdom
    • Ronald Klick
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2009
        That's cool!!  My daughter started IKAC Children's rounds in 2002 when she was 11 and
        shot them until she was too old for the division, then started the new "Youth" division,
        which was 14-17yrs old and 20-30-40 like the adults. I think that 10-15-20 for the
        younger archers is a great place to start, less frustrating, and they can hit the target
        more often and gradually hone their skills.

        Osmond

        We used the shorter distances for the under 13 set. It was Teagen's first time shooting, so we weren't expecting too much. She enjoyed herself though, getting personal coaching from our Kingdom Archer, so I'm sure she'll be hitting the target soon.

        Randal

        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@ ...> wrote:

        > We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on Saturday, the 11th.
        > Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds are great for
        > most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of the Adult Divisions
        > I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first IKAC score of 19.
        >
        > Osmond de Berwic
        > Barony of Stonemarche
        > East Kingdom

      • Rusty McMillan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
          I certainly agree on the benefits of shorter distances for the children. It gives them a chance to build the muscles they'll need for longer bows and distances later.

          We also had two youths of 14 years old shoot in January. I am recommending they shoot as adults next year...they both shot IKACs in the 80s/90s.