Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: this different war

  • Mark Cipra
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
      Given we won't be able to change the war points schedule, your "up side" comments are very well taken.  May I suggest that at least some of the novelty shoots have multiple prizes, even small tokens?  Have them for categories (best youth competitor, best novice, etc.).  People like prizes.

      My last comment on the "down side":  Yes, other combattants have had to deal with tough scheduing problems all along, but archery is different in that it's the only war-point activity that *every* SCAdian can legitimately contribute to.

       Mark Cipra
      __
      ***************
      "90% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
        I was wondering, why must you limit the days to shoot war points??
        We shoot them everyday, we just set up the war point targets. People practice, once there are enough shooters to draw a line we hold practice one round and let those who wish to shoot the point. Walk up, count, write down the number and we are done. This may happen a few times a day but allows those ready to shoot the point to do so.

        Just wondering why only certain days.
        Egil

        Remember I have never been to Pennsic.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Mark Cipra <cipram@...> wrote:

        > Given we won't be able to change the war points schedule, your "up side" comments are very well taken.  May I suggest that at least some of the novelty shoots have multiple prizes, even small tokens?  Have them for categories (best youth competitor, best novice, etc.).  People like prizes.
        >
        > My last comment on the "down side":  Yes, other combattants have had to deal with tough scheduing problems all along, but archery is different in that it's the only war-point activity that *every* SCAdian can legitimately contribute to.
        >

        >  Mark Cipra
        > __
        > ***************
        > "90% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen
        >

        > ________________________________

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
          Egil,

          This is exactly what has been done at Pennsic for decades. As I
          understand it, this decision was imposed from above, so to speak. It
          makes sense in that it forces folks at the range to hustle a bit and
          come up with new ideas. We are still shooting the
          advancing/retreating/standing man, a competitions that was shot every
          year since Pennsic One, with the exception of Pennsic 4 when archery
          was rained out. Actually less practice at Pennsic prior to the
          shoots makes the whole thing a bit more authentic.