Re: this different war

  • agincort@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
      > We're going to be getting everyone who wants to shoot a war
      > point through the gates on a single day, twice? Whew! Any way to
      > get at least two days for each of these shoots?
      >
      > Llywelyn Mark Cipra

      My thoughts exactly, on first hearing.
      Still, unless you can read our Princes's agreement some other way, that's
      how it's gonna be.
      Apparently, they would like us to enjoy the archery, and the populace
      will.
      Different shoots every day, and the freedom to come back daily and shoot
      some more.
      It's a major change from what we've become used to.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
      hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
      Information on Online Teaching Degree programs.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdYK2xB5f7fJceCEQ/
    • kweancel
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
        This is going to make it even more difficult for those of us who both shoot and fight (and marshal!). I'll be betting that less heavies show up to shoot.
        Ancel

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, agincort@... wrote:

        > > We're going to be getting everyone who wants to shoot a war
        > > point through the gates on a single day, twice? Whew! Any way to
        > > get at least two days for each of these shoots?
        > >
        > > Llywelyn Mark Cipra
        >
        > My thoughts exactly, on first hearing.
        > Still, unless you can read our Princes's agreement some other way, that's
        > how it's gonna be.
        > Apparently, they would like us to enjoy the archery, and the populace
        > will.
        > Different shoots every day, and the freedom to come back daily and shoot
        > some more.
        > It's a major change from what we've become used to.
        > Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
        > Midrealm Forester - OP
        > Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
        > "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
        > hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
        > Information on Online Teaching Degree programs.
        > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdYK2xB5f7fJceCEQ/

      • Kelly
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
          questions

          1) is there a schedule ?
          2) if so where is it ?
          posting the battle schedule would certainly "assist" in this conversation.
          3) have we found out exactly where the archery range will be at, as i have posted before "near" is a very subjective term.
          4) novlity shoots every day of war week ? or just on saturday / wensday ?
          getting all the info out about pennsic archery asap, where , when, who will answer the majority of the questions that are being addressed here.
          > We're going to be getting everyone who wants to shoot a war
          > point through the gates on a single day, twice? Whew! Any way to
          > get at least two days for each of these shoots?
          >
          > Llywelyn Mark Cipra

          My thoughts exactly, on first hearing.
          Still, unless you can read our Princes's agreement some other way, that's
          how it's gonna be.
          Apparently, they would like us to enjoy the archery, and the populace
          will.
          Different shoots every day, and the freedom to come back daily and shoot
          some more.
          It's a major change from what we've become used to.
          Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
          Midrealm Forester - OP
          Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
          "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
          hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
            Gentlemen And Ladies,

            I tend to agree with Ancel on this. It will also exclude the people
            who will leave before or arrive after the shoots are held. It may
            also discourage some new archers from participating in the war point
            shoots since they won't have the option of practicing for several
            days and then shooting for points on the final Friday. In years past
            I used to bring a dozen new archers to the range every day with
            equipment I loaned them. When they were ready to shoot for points, I
            paid them $1 for each point they scored. Every year I had one or two
            of these people buy their own bow and arrows before leaving. Of
            course the new set up is no different than what the fencers and
            heavies have contended with for decades. If your work or personal
            life prevents you from being on site on the day of the field or woods
            battle, then you simply miss fighting in that battle. Is there any
            plan to keep the range open an extra hour on the days of the war
            point shoots?

            On the up side, we have the opportunity to introduce new
            competitions. We need to design these so that they are interesting
            to watch, and don't take hours to shoot. We also need prizes. Real
            prizes. Hence my offer of the swords. Perhaps we can approach the
            merchants to sponsor shoots by offering prizes of a certain minimum
            value. Then we could call the sponsored competition the Meric shoot
            or the Greybarr challenge.

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            > At 08:20 AM 4/12/2009, kweancel wrote:

            >This is going to make it even more difficult for those of us who
            >both shoot and fight (and marshal!). I'll be betting that less
            >heavies show up to shoot.
            >Ancel
            >
            >--- In
            ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
            >agincort@... wrote:
            > >
            > > > We're going to be getting everyone who wants to shoot a war
            > > > point through the gates on a single day, twice? Whew! Any way to
            > > > get at least two days for each of these shoots?
            > > >
            > > > Llywelyn Mark Cipra
            > >
            > > My thoughts exactly, on first hearing.
            > > Still, unless you can read our Princes's agreement some other way, that's
            > > how it's gonna be.
            > > Apparently, they would like us to enjoy the archery, and the populace
            > > will.
            > > Different shoots every day, and the freedom to come back daily and shoot
            > > some more.
            > > It's a major change from what we've become used to.
            > > Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
            > > Midrealm Forester - OP
            > > Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
            > > "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
            > > hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
            > > Information on Online Teaching Degree programs.
            > >
            > <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdYK2xB5f7fJceCEQ/>http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdYK2xB5f7fJceCEQ/

          • Mark Cipra
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
              Given we won't be able to change the war points schedule, your "up side" comments are very well taken.  May I suggest that at least some of the novelty shoots have multiple prizes, even small tokens?  Have them for categories (best youth competitor, best novice, etc.).  People like prizes.

              My last comment on the "down side":  Yes, other combattants have had to deal with tough scheduing problems all along, but archery is different in that it's the only war-point activity that *every* SCAdian can legitimately contribute to.

               Mark Cipra
              __
              ***************
              "90% of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > > how it's gonna be.
              > > Apparently, they would like us to enjoy the archery, and the populace
              > > will.
              > > Different shoots every day, and the freedom to come back daily and shoot
              > > some more.
              > > It's a major change from what we've become used to.
              > > ............ ......... ......... ......... .
              > > Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
              > > Midrealm Forester - OP
              > > Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
              > > "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
              > > hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
              > > Information on Online Teaching Degree programs.
              > >
              > <http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY 7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk 4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdY K2xB5f7fJceCEQ/>http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ fc/BLSrjpTLyzEYY 7VyA9mrVHdf60Nzk 4oNO9NpXNMB8sYdY K2xB5f7fJceCEQ/

            • Egil Haraldsson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
                I was wondering, why must you limit the days to shoot war points??
                We shoot them everyday, we just set up the war point targets. People practice, once there are enough shooters to draw a line we hold practice one round and let those who wish to shoot the point. Walk up, count, write down the number and we are done. This may happen a few times a day but allows those ready to shoot the point to do so.

                Just wondering why only certain days.
                Egil

                Remember I have never been to Pennsic.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 12, 2009
                  Egil,

                  This is exactly what has been done at Pennsic for decades. As I
                  understand it, this decision was imposed from above, so to speak. It
                  makes sense in that it forces folks at the range to hustle a bit and
                  come up with new ideas. We are still shooting the
                  advancing/retreating/standing man, a competitions that was shot every
                  year since Pennsic One, with the exception of Pennsic 4 when archery
                  was rained out. Actually less practice at Pennsic prior to the
                  shoots makes the whole thing a bit more authentic.