Proud of my little archer

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
      So just had to be a 'Dad' and brag. Went out for the first real
      archery practice of the year.

      My now 4yr old son wanted to shoot. (We had been helping him shoot
      all last year, and some the year before that)

      Always with me sitting on the ground behind him, him standing in front
      of me, and me helping him nock it, hold the bow, pull it back, etc.

      1st problem: I sat down, and he towered over me, I was going to have
      to go to my knees instead.

      2nd problem: I went to help him and he said: "NO! I'm gonna do it"
      ... and proceeded to perfectly nock an arrow, pull back the bow with
      good form, and release.

      My lady and I spent the rest of the practice giggling amongst
      ourselves at watching him go.

      I took video:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/eliw/3429960144/in/set-72157616504080403/

      Siegfried -- Proud Dad

      Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
      Barony of Highland Foorde - Kingdom of Atlantia
      Society Combat Archery Marshal
    • Kelly
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
        wtg mom and dad !!!!
        So just had to be a 'Dad' and brag. Went out for the first real
        archery practice of the year.

        My now 4yr old son wanted to shoot. (We had been helping him shoot
        all last year, and some the year before that)

        Always with me sitting on the ground behind him, him standing in front
        of me, and me helping him nock it, hold the bow, pull it back, etc.

        1st problem: I sat down, and he towered over me, I was going to have
        to go to my knees instead.

        2nd problem: I went to help him and he said: "NO! I'm gonna do it"
        ... and proceeded to perfectly nock an arrow, pull back the bow with
        good form, and release.

        My lady and I spent the rest of the practice giggling amongst
        ourselves at watching him go.

        I took video:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/eliw/3429960144/in/set-72157616504080403/

        Siegfried -- Proud Dad

      • Nicholas S. Malone
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
          Well as long as bragging is allowed:

          I hope he can get an official RR in by 6 and an IKAC set by 7

          Cause I think my daughter has those records....

          I could be wrong but I'm being a dad.

          Good going

          AshaHito

        • zateev@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
            Gee, and I thought it was just a little while ago that production slowed because of the impending birth...Where does the time go.  It ain't braggin', just fact.

            Aleksei

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
              He's adorable!

              I'm the event steward for a parent-child cooperative event on April 18.
              There's going to be archery there. It would be awesome if you all could
              make it....though it is in Midrealm and might be a bit far to travel...

              Bryn Archer
              Event Steward It Takes My Child to RAZE A Village
              http://scakids.org/

            • Mike Gideon
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 11, 2009
                way to go Dad, looks great. Glad you could share the moment with us.

                Michel

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 12, 2009
                  That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations, the video was a blast to watch.

                  Lorelei
                  recession.

                • Rusty McMillan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 13, 2009
                    We had a 7 year old girl shoot an IKAC at the Darkwood Tourney...unfortunately we couldn't submit it, as the Excel form wouldn't accept a sheet with all zeros! Her folks are very supportive, and she is getting her own equipment, so I imagine she will post a score next year. We did have a 7 year old boy who scored a 14, which was submitted. It is wonderful to see the future of our sport as they get started!

                    Randal

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas S. Malone" <nix@...> wrote:

                    > Well as long as bragging is allowed:
                    >
                    > I hope he can get an official RR in by 6 and an IKAC set by 7
                    >
                    > Cause I think my daughter has those records....
                    >
                    > I could be wrong but I'm being a dad.
                    >
                    > Good going
                    >
                    > AshaHito
                  • Ronald Klick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 13, 2009
                      We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on Saturday, the 11th.
                      Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds are great for
                      most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of the Adult Divisions
                      I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first IKAC score of 19.

                      Osmond de Berwic
                      Barony of Stonemarche
                      East Kingdom

                      We had a 7 year old girl shoot an IKAC at the Darkwood Tourney...unfortuna tely we couldn't submit it, as the Excel form wouldn't accept a sheet with all zeros! Her folks are very supportive, and she is getting her own equipment, so I imagine she will post a score next year. We did have a 7 year old boy who scored a 14, which was submitted. It is wonderful to see the future of our sport as they get started!

                      Randal

                      --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Nicholas S. Malone" <nix@...> wrote:

                      > Well as long as bragging is allowed:
                      >
                      > I hope he can get an official RR in by 6 and an IKAC set by 7
                      >
                      > Cause I think my daughter has those records....
                      >
                      > I could be wrong but I'm being a dad.
                      >
                      > Good going
                      >
                      > AshaHito

                    • Nicholas S. Malone
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 13, 2009
                        There weren't any children's division when my daughter did her IKAC, I
                        believe she was in the 14-20 range

                        Ronald Klick wrote:

                        > We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on
                        > Saturday, the 11th.
                        > Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds
                        > are great for
                        > most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of
                        > the Adult Divisions
                        > I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first
                        > IKAC score of 19.
                        >
                        > Osmond de Berwic
                        > Barony of Stonemarche
                        > East Kingdom
                        >
                        > --- On Mon, 4/13/09, Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...
                        > <mailto:randal_of_camusfearna%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...
                        > <mailto:randal_of_camusfearna%40yahoo.com>>
                        > Subject: Re: {Disarmed} [SCA-Archery] Proud of my little archer
                        > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Monday, April 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
                        >
                        > We had a 7 year old girl shoot an IKAC at the Darkwood
                        > Tourney...unfortuna tely we couldn't submit it, as the Excel form
                        > wouldn't accept a sheet with all zeros! Her folks are very supportive,
                        > and she is getting her own equipment, so I imagine she will post a
                        > score next year. We did have a 7 year old boy who scored a 14, which
                        > was submitted. It is wonderful to see the future of our sport as they
                        > get started!
                        >
                        > Randal
                        >
                        > --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Nicholas S. Malone" <nix@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Well as long as bragging is allowed:
                        > >
                        > > I hope he can get an official RR in by 6 and an IKAC set by 7
                        > >
                        > > Cause I think my daughter has those records....
                        > >
                        > > I could be wrong but I'm being a dad.
                        > >
                        > > Good going
                        > >
                        > > AshaHito

                        > --
                        > believed to be clean.

                      • Rusty McMillan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 14, 2009
                          We used the shorter distances for the under 13 set. It was Teagen's first time shooting, so we weren't expecting too much. She enjoyed herself though, getting personal coaching from our Kingdom Archer, so I'm sure she'll be hitting the target soon.

                          Randal

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@...> wrote:

                          > We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on Saturday, the 11th.
                          > Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds are great for
                          > most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of the Adult Divisions
                          > I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first IKAC score of 19.
                          >
                          > Osmond de Berwic
                          > Barony of Stonemarche
                          > East Kingdom
                        • Ronald Klick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 14, 2009
                            That's cool!!  My daughter started IKAC Children's rounds in 2002 when she was 11 and
                            shot them until she was too old for the division, then started the new "Youth" division,
                            which was 14-17yrs old and 20-30-40 like the adults. I think that 10-15-20 for the
                            younger archers is a great place to start, less frustrating, and they can hit the target
                            more often and gradually hone their skills.

                            Osmond

                            We used the shorter distances for the under 13 set. It was Teagen's first time shooting, so we weren't expecting too much. She enjoyed herself though, getting personal coaching from our Kingdom Archer, so I'm sure she'll be hitting the target soon.

                            Randal

                            --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Ronald Klick <osmond_de_berwic@ ...> wrote:

                            > We held a practice featuring IKAC Children's Division Rounds on Saturday, the 11th.
                            > Our young archers were ages 7, 10, and 11. I think 10-15-20 yds rounds are great for
                            > most youngsters that are just starting out. If you were speaking of the Adult Divisions
                            > I can see why it was all zeroes, our seven-year old sent in her first IKAC score of 19.
                            >
                            > Osmond de Berwic
                            > Barony of Stonemarche
                            > East Kingdom

                          • Rusty McMillan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
                              I certainly agree on the benefits of shorter distances for the children. It gives them a chance to build the muscles they'll need for longer bows and distances later.

                              We also had two youths of 14 years old shoot in January. I am recommending they shoot as adults next year...they both shot IKACs in the 80s/90s.