Gulf Wars 2010

  • Egil Haraldsson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
      Greetings Lords and Ladies,
      Now that GW is over and as we look forward to next years, you are looking toward next year, right! :)

      Some discussion has been going on and I would like all Archers and Thrown Weapon artist to become engaged. I hope that everyone will have some input even if it is on the local or Kingdom level.

      The first proposal for next year is this:

      For the 9:00 am until 11:oo am or Noon. Each day, Monday thru Friday, there should be a Different Kingdom Sponcered Shoot and Throw. I would like to be sure we have Thrown Weapons incoperated into the sponcered shoot. Each Kingdom will be required to have Marshals at the range to host the shoot and should be creative with your shoot. Gleann Abhann will continue with the evening "Prize shoot" Monday - Wednesday and Friday, Thursday has been set aside as the traditional GET shoot. Here is the kicker, it is my plan to have a voting by the shooters and throwers of their favorite shoot for the week. this voting will be held on Friday at the Final GA Prize Shoot. A prize will be awarded to the winning Kingdom, this prize can be used to promote Archery and Thrown Weapons within their Kingdom. The prize will be something like this:

      A beginning bow or two, fiberglass 30#'s, a set of arrows for each bow, a bracer for each and a glove for each. Also perhaps a set of knives and/or axes, depends on funding. So you have two complete sets of beginner gear to be used during Archery Practice at home. These can be shared or given to a Barony within the winning Kingdom that is best promoting the art. (Get the idea)

      The reason for this is two fold. First we will be promoting our sport or art. We will be creating excitement and interest in the art of Archery and Thrown Weapons. Secondly we will be promoting our art within the event Gulf Wars. Pennic is reknown for it shoots and it is my hope that one day GW will be know for its wonderful shoots and throws.

      So lets openly discuss the idea. I have heard from some of the Kingdom Marshals concerning this and so far the responce has been positive. I am excited about next year and where we can take our art.

      I look forward to discussing this with everyone.
      Safe travels and golden targets,
      Yours in Service and friendship,
      Ld Egil Haraldsson
      Ranger Master
      Gulf Wars 2010
    • Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
        sounds good , I hope pennsic moves in that direction as it would encourage archers / thrown weapons to go to the range more than 1 time during war
[...]

      • John and Carol Atkins
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 7:00 AM
          Egil,
          I like the idea of each kingdom designing and running a shoot during the week. Provides more variety in shooting and spreads the job of range marshalling out. I would not make it mandatory but do it on a volunteer basis at least for the first year to see how it flys. I would also assume that each kingdom doing a shoot would provide prizes for the winners. I also like the idea of a populace vote for best novelty shoot. I'm still cogitating the prize for best novelty shoot. In my barony several of us have sprung for loaner gear much as you describe. However because it is our gear we have control over it. If it goes to the kingdom far too often things like this wind up on a storage shed somewhere and don't get used. The logic is that it is kingdom owned therefore must be controlled. And unfortunately the concept of "controlled" usually equals "locked in our storage shed". Perhaps if the prize gear were awarded to each kingdoms Earl Marshal for archery it would have a better chance of actually showing up at events and being used as suggested. I really like the idea of loaner gear as a prize though. In our area we quite often have folks wander onto the archery range and say stuff like "Wow! That looks like fun. Can I try?" The $40 fiberglass bows are great for this. They can be shot left or right handed and you could practically drive nails with them and they don't get damaged. It's enough to get folks hooked on the fun that archery is.

          One thing that Pennsic has that GW does not is a woods walk course. At Pennsic it is only used for the Masters Shoot but those who shoot it look forward to it each year. I don't know if that could be layed out at King's Arrow Range or not but it sure would be cool if it's possible.

          cog

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson" <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Lords and Ladies,
          > Now that GW is over and as we look forward to next years, you are looking toward next year, right! :)
          >
          > Some discussion has been going on and I would like all Archers and Thrown Weapon artist to become engaged. I hope that everyone will have some input even if it is on the local or Kingdom level.
          >
          > The first proposal for next year is this:
          >
          > For the 9:00 am until 11:oo am or Noon. Each day, Monday thru Friday, there should be a Different Kingdom Sponcered Shoot and Throw. I would like to be sure we have Thrown Weapons incoperated into the sponcered shoot. Each Kingdom will be required to have Marshals at the range to host the shoot and should be creative with your shoot. Gleann Abhann will continue with the evening "Prize shoot" Monday - Wednesday and Friday, Thursday has been set aside as the traditional GET shoot. Here is the kicker, it is my plan to have a voting by the shooters and throwers of their favorite shoot for the week. this voting will be held on Friday at the Final GA Prize Shoot. A prize will be awarded to the winning Kingdom, this prize can be used to promote Archery and Thrown Weapons within their Kingdom. The prize will be something like this:
          >
          > A beginning bow or two, fiberglass 30#'s, a set of arrows for each bow, a bracer for each and a glove for each. Also perhaps a set of knives and/or axes, depends on funding. So you have two complete sets of beginner gear to be used during Archery Practice at home. These can be shared or given to a Barony within the winning Kingdom that is best promoting the art. (Get the idea)
          >
          > The reason for this is two fold. First we will be promoting our sport or art. We will be creating excitement and interest in the art of Archery and Thrown Weapons. Secondly we will be promoting our art within the event Gulf Wars. Pennic is reknown for it shoots and it is my hope that one day GW will be know for its wonderful shoots and throws.
          >
          > So lets openly discuss the idea. I have heard from some of the Kingdom Marshals concerning this and so far the responce has been positive. I am excited about next year and where we can take our art.
          >
          > I look forward to discussing this with everyone.
          > Safe travels and golden targets,
          > Yours in Service and friendship,
          > Ld Egil Haraldsson
          > Ranger Master
          > Gulf Wars 2010

        • Egil Haraldsson
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 2:12 PM
            Thanks , nothing would be manditory. As for each Kingdom presenting a prize I guess that would be up to the Kingdom but then if they want to win the populas vote??? :)

            At this point I am just looking into it and see how much support we can come up with. Giving the winning gear to the Kingdom Earl Marshal is a good idea or any Mashal representing the Kingdom at the time would work as long as it gets to the new Archer/Thrower all is good. You are correct about the fibreglass bows and exactly what I was thinking.

            Thanks for the reply.
            Egil

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "John and Carol Atkins" <cogworks@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > The reason for this is two fold. First we will be promoting our sport or art. We will be creating excitement and interest in the art of Archery and Thrown Weapons. Secondly we will be promoting our art within the event Gulf Wars. Pennic is reknown for it shoots and it is my hope that one day GW will be know for its wonderful shoots and throws.
            > >
            > > So lets openly discuss the idea. I have heard from some of the Kingdom Marshals concerning this and so far the responce has been positive. I am excited about next year and where we can take our art.
            > >
            > > I look forward to discussing this with everyone.

          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 3:30 PM
              The issue is that lots of us can not travel to all the wars and even if
              able, may not be able to coordinate with the MIC from communication
              limitations or lack of advance knowledge of the ability to go. (Some
              employers are not readily on the ball for acknowledging vacation requests.)

              As for Pennsic, we are working very hard to get novelty shoots and other
              attractions to get people out to the range. The times and availabilities of
              War Point Shoots are under negotiation. We wish to encourage the populace
              to come to the range and are already trying to make sure there is something
              going on every day for the general populace.

              Forester Master Ian Gourdon is coordinating Novelty Shoots and should be
              making news available soon, as he is able to "officially" publish it.

              Forester Padraig MacRaighne

              _____

              --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
> [...]
              axes, depends on funding. So you have two complete sets of beginner gear to
              be used during Archery Practice at home. These can be shared or given to a
              Barony within the winning Kingdom that is best promoting the art. (Get the
              idea)

              > > The reason for this is two fold. First we will be promoting our sport or
              art. We will be creating excitement and interest in the art of Archery and
              Thrown Weapons. Secondly we will be promoting our art within the event Gulf
              Wars. Pennic is reknown for it shoots and it is my hope that one day GW will
              be know for its wonderful shoots and throws.

              > > So lets openly discuss the idea. I have heard from some of the Kingdom
              Marshals concerning this and so far the responce has been positive. I am
              excited about next year and where we can take our art.

              > > I look forward to discussing this with everyone.

            • Egil Haraldsson
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2 3:23 AM
                Very true, not everyone can or should go to every war.

                Communication however now days is a simple thing, the number of ways are vast.

                I hope that Forester Master Ian Gourdon is able to put together some novelity or as we call them "fun" shoots.
                War points are well, war points, and must be shot, but it is the fun shoots that bring people to the range during Gulf Wars. This is why we are working on getting more involvement and ideas for shoots. Everyone has an idea or has seen a shoot that none of the rest of have. This is the creative force. I wish the Staff of Pennsic the best in getting fun shoots added to the schedule and look forward to meeting many of you at the range.

                Safe travels,
                YIS,
                Egil

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...> wrote:

                > The issue is that lots of us can not travel to all the wars and even if
                > able, may not be able to coordinate with the MIC from communication
                > limitations or lack of advance knowledge of the ability to go. (Some
                > employers are not readily on the ball for acknowledging vacation requests.)
                >

                > As for Pennsic, we are working very hard to get novelty shoots and other
                > attractions to get people out to the range. The times and availabilities of
                > War Point Shoots are under negotiation. We wish to encourage the populace
                > to come to the range and are already trying to make sure there is something
                > going on every day for the general populace.
                >

                > Forester Master Ian Gourdon is coordinating Novelty Shoots and should be
                > making news available soon, as he is able to "officially" publish it.
                >

                > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
                >

                > _____

              • ronan mackee
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 5:32 AM
                  We here in antir have several fun shoots that are easy to put up .Is there a place on this yahoo group that we can share the info ?

                  Ronan Mackay

                  ________________________________
                  Very true, not everyone can or should go to every war.

                  Communication however now days is a simple thing, the number of ways are vast.

                  I hope that Forester Master Ian Gourdon is able to put together some novelity or as we call them "fun" shoots.
                  War points are well, war points, and must be shot, but it is the fun shoots that bring people to the range during Gulf Wars. This is why we are working on getting more involvement and ideas for shoots. Everyone has an idea or has seen a shoot that none of the rest of have. This is the creative force. I wish the Staff of Pennsic the best in getting fun shoots added to the schedule and look forward to meeting many of you at the range.

                  Safe travels,
                  YIS,
                  Egil

                  --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@... > wrote:

                  > The issue is that lots of us can not travel to all the wars and even if
                  > able, may not be able to coordinate with the MIC from communication
                  > limitations or lack of advance knowledge of the ability to go. (Some
                  > employers are not readily on the ball for acknowledging vacation requests.)
                  >

                  > As for Pennsic, we are working very hard to get novelty shoots and other
                  > attractions to get people out to the range. The times and availabilities of
                  > War Point Shoots are under negotiation. We wish to encourage the populace
                  > to come to the range and are already trying to make sure there is something
                  > going on every day for the general populace.
                  >

                  > Forester Master Ian Gourdon is coordinating Novelty Shoots and should be
                  > making news available soon, as he is able to "officially" publish it.
                  >

                  > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
                  >

                  > _____

                • Egil Haraldsson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 8:43 AM
                    Yes the files section, create a folder and put the info of your shoots in that folder, thanks for the input :)