Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Competition

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2, 2009
      Siegfried,

      Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that the East Kingdom
      limited participation. Here in the Mid it's pretty much anyone who
      wants to try out. I suppose since the champions shoot is so early
      this year it might be better to put it off to the second week when
      there is less of a rush. Can anyone suggest a good day? I assume it
      would be shot after the range closes for points for the day.

      Jim "Gladius"

      >At 08:49 AM 3/2/2009, you wrote:

      >Gladius ... I love the idea of the shoot. You might want to check
      >with the East & Mid KAM's though about doing it during the tryouts.
      >
      >The tryouts aren't always 'fully' open. (East is often less open of a
      >tryout than the Mid is).
      >
      >And I might be concerned about hundreds of folks showing up to try to
      >win your most excellent wares, and therefore flooding the tryouts and
      >making it harder for the people running the tryouts and trying to
      >actually make some tough decisions.
      >
      >Siegfried
      >
      >On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM, James Koch
      ><<mailto:alchem%40en.com>alchem@...> wrote:
      > > Gentlemen & Ladies,
      > > >
      > > I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
      > > a shoot to be held at Pennsic. The plan is to offer a falchion and a
      > > katzbalger, both of which I have already made. The falchion will go
      > > to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
      > > with the winning scores. It recently occurred to me that this shoot
      > > could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
      > > teams. The marshals are already on the range and the range is
      > > already closed for the day. Since the try outs are open to pretty
      > > much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
      > > another day. It would also reward the folks who come out every year
      > > to compete on the champions teams. The scores from the competition
      > > could also be used to help select members for the teams. My idea is
      > > to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot. You know, like in
      > > the movie Robin Hood. Any thoughts on this?
      > > >
      > > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      >
      >--
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 11, 2009
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn up a
        set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
        advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
        butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
        tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
        math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
        remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will be in
        selecting 6 projectiles.

        I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear, and
        have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not asking
        for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you think a
        different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
        sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.

        Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
        1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
        the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
        shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
        same target.
        2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
        hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
        which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.
        3) The shoot is un-timed.
        4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
        participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
        remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
        the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
        did not make a hit are eliminated.
        5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
        to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
        target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
        keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
        eliminated from the competition.
        6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
        made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
        re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
        competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
        remaining from the previous round.
        7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
        winning crossbow shooter remain.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 11, 2009
          Sounds like fun.

          > 2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
          > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
          > which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.

          What about pass-throughs?
          Will the target have some type of central aiming point or will it
          just be a blank face?

          > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
          > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
          > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
          > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
          > eliminated from the competition.

          If an archer does not find all of their misses right away (or after a
          set time limit), they should have to wait for the end of the
          competition to search for them.

          > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
          > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
          > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
          > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
          > remaining from the previous round.

          The rules do not state that the butt is going to be moved further
          away after each end. But, I take it that is the intention.

          > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
          > winning crossbow shooter remain.

          What happens if after X number of ends, you have two archers and two
          crossbow shooters remaining, and then they all miss with their
          remaining arrows/bolts?

          Jon

          On Jul 11, 2009, at 8:39 PM, James Koch wrote:

          > Gentlemen & Ladies,
          > >
          > I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn up a
          > set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
          > advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
          > butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
          > tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
          > math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
          > remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will be in
          > selecting 6 projectiles.
          > >
          > I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear, and
          > have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not asking
          > for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you think a
          > different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
          > sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.
          > >
          > Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
          > 1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
          > the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
          > shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
          > same target.
          > 2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
          > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
          > which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.
          > 3) The shoot is un-timed.
          > 4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
          > participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
          > remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
          > the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
          > did not make a hit are eliminated.
          > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
          > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
          > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
          > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
          > eliminated from the competition.
          > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
          > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
          > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
          > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
          > remaining from the previous round.
          > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
          > winning crossbow shooter remain.
          > >
          > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        • Kelly
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
            start with 6 arrows/bolts, any thing that misses is "lost" and cannot be used in the following rounds.

            that it ?

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
              Sounds good. Sounds simple. I've seen a similar thing done before.

              But you need to move everyone back (or the target back) at each phase.
              Else you can be sitting there for a LONG LONG time while noone misses
              until exhaustion sets in.

              And if you start it nice and close, you can get people feeling good
              and having fun with it, as the attrition slowly begins. (30yd-ish for
              the first one? Assuming a 48" Saunders matt?) If you assume that
              it's moved back 10+yd-ish each time, then after a few rounds you'll
              whittle it down. And it will become quite the spectator sport with
              those knocked out watching and enjoying.

              A couple things to consider also, because someone will ask:

              1) Pass Throughs - Hopefully not an issue once at distance and if you
              choose a new-er matt.

              2) How do you count bounceoffs (or crossbow bolts that cartwheel and
              hit flat, etc). If witnessed are they a hit? Or must it stick?

              3) Deflections? If it hits the end of the matt, and is witnessed,
              does it count?

              4) If EVERYONE misses (or all bows, or all crossbows), how is it
              handled? Do you Just 'do over'? Do you bring the target back closer?

              5) And end-game should perhaps be planned, if you run out of room.
              IE. Assuming you are using the clout range, then at 120yd or so, you
              are going to run out of the ability to move the target farther. If
              you have some better shooters, they 'might' still be hitting it. You
              should at least have a plan in place, either to stay at 'max distance'
              until the randomness has someone fail out. Or to declare a multiple
              winner at that point, or flip a coin, or make people start shooting
              from one foot ;) You hopefully won't run into this, as the
              random-distance issue and stray shots will make people start missing
              earlier, but having an end-game planned in case, would make people
              happier than a random decision at that point.

              Siegfried

              On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:39 PM, James Koch<alchem@...> wrote:
              > Gentlemen & Ladies,
              >  >
              > I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic.  I have drawn up a
              > set of rules for the contest and have included them below.  Be
              > advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
              > butt.  I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
              > tripod.  This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition.  No
              > math whatsoever on anyone's part.  Even the distances shot will
              > remain unknown and irrelevant.  The only counting required will be in
              > selecting 6 projectiles.
              >  >
              > I have a question for the group.  Are the following rules clear, and
              > have I covered all the bases?  Please understand that I am not asking
              > for improvements or major changes to the competition.  If you think a
              > different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
              > sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.
              >  >
              > Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
              > 1)   This competition will award two prizes.  One prize will go to
              > the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
              > shooter.  Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
              > same target.
              > 2)   The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range.  A
              > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
              > which fall or bounce back out.  Glances will not be counted as good.
              > 3)   The shoot is un-timed.
              > 4)   Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts.  Each
              > participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
              > remaining arrows or bolts have been expended.  Participants who hit
              > the target stay in the competition into the next round.  Those who
              > did not make a hit are eliminated.
              > 5)   Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
              > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
              > target.  These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
              > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
              > eliminated from the competition.
              > 6)   After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
              > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
              > re-used.  Participants who hit the target and remain in the
              > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
              > remaining from the previous round.
              > 7)   The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
              > winning crossbow shooter remain.
              >  >
              > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

              Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
              Baron of Highland Foorde - Kingdom of Atlantia
            • James Koch
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                Jon,

                It's a good thing I posted this to the group. You brought up a
                number of issues I hadn't addressed. I was thinking in terms of a
                saunders matt and didn't consider pass throughs. However, just in
                case I'll add them to the list. I suppose we can add a center mark
                of sorts to the target face just to help the people who like a hard
                aiming point. As for the time involved in searching for misses, I
                don't think this will be a big problem since I expect the shoot to go
                pretty fast. Of course it will depend on how many people actually
                decide to compete. If we get 100+ this will be an issue at least in
                the early rounds. What I can do though is bring along a bunch of
                those little ground marker flags to show the former locations of the
                butt. That will make it easier for people who come back later
                looking for buried projectiles. The butt will definitely be moved
                back a bit for each new round. Of course this will be left to the
                marshal. As to the final two participants both missing, that is
                something which had not occurred to me. I guess we'll then keep the
                butt where it is and have a sudden death type shoot off where each
                takes a shot until one hits and the other misses. So when are you
                making the pilgrimage to Pennsic?

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                  If you run out of space to move the target and you have tie scores
                  at that point, you can have the next end at the same distance and the
                  archer closest to the center mark wins. This was a period practice.

                  When will I make it to Pennsic .... when I win the Lottery. ;-)
                  Sounds like a fun competition, I wish I could make it.

                  I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
                  a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
                  Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
                  inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
                  on a period Italian competition.

                  Jon

                  On Jul 12, 2009, at 9:05 AM, James Koch wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
                  > > > did not make a hit are eliminated.
                  > > > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow
                  > shooters
                  > > > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
                  > > > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for
                  > safe
                  > > > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
                  > > > eliminated from the competition.
                  > > > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which
                  > has
                  > > > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
                  > > > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
                  > > > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
                  > > > remaining from the previous round.
                  > > > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and

                • James McAdams
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                    John edgerton wrote:

                    >I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
                    >a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
                    >Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
                    >inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
                    >on a period Italian competition.

                    We did a combination of these last year as a fundraiser. 3 arrows,
                    and the target moves back. Any arrows that missed the target were lost
                    for future rounds.
                    The fundraising aspect was that you could re-buy any 'lost' arrows.
                    A couple of generous and competitive archers made this the most
                    successful of a half-dozen fundraisers we did that day.

                    Xavier
                  • Hobbe
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009

                      > The butt will definitely be moved
                      > back a bit for each new round.

                      Move the people, not the butt.
                    • James Koch
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                        Kelly,

                        That's it in a nutshell. The rest is all legal mumbo jumbo.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                          Hobbe,

                          It may be possible to move the people back, if the parallel ranges
                          are closed at that time. I expect to use the existing gates, but
                          until the new ranges are set up, it's hard to say which will work
                          best. Leaving the butt stationary does make finding lost arrows easier.