Re: [SCA-Archery] Pennsic Competition

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2009
      Sounds like a fun shoot and great prizes.

      I wish I could attend.

      Jon, West

      On Feb 28, 2009, at 1:57 PM, James Koch wrote:

      > Gentlemen & Ladies,
      > >
      > I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
      > a shoot to be held at Pennsic. The plan is to offer a falchion and a
      > katzbalger, both of which I have already made. The falchion will go
      > to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
      > with the winning scores. It recently occurred to me that this shoot
      > could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
      > teams. The marshals are already on the range and the range is
      > already closed for the day. Since the try outs are open to pretty
      > much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
      > another day. It would also reward the folks who come out every year
      > to compete on the champions teams. The scores from the competition
      > could also be used to help select members for the teams. My idea is
      > to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot. You know, like in
      > the movie Robin Hood. Any thoughts on this?
      > >
      > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2009
        Gladius ... I love the idea of the shoot. You might want to check
        with the East & Mid KAM's though about doing it during the tryouts.

        The tryouts aren't always 'fully' open. (East is often less open of a
        tryout than the Mid is).

        And I might be concerned about hundreds of folks showing up to try to
        win your most excellent wares, and therefore flooding the tryouts and
        making it harder for the people running the tryouts and trying to
        actually make some tough decisions.

        Siegfried

        On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
        > Gentlemen & Ladies,
        >  >
        > I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
        > a shoot to be held at Pennsic.  The plan is to offer a falchion and a
        > katzbalger, both of which I have already made.  The falchion will go
        > to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
        > with the winning scores.  It recently occurred to me that this shoot
        > could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
        > teams.  The marshals are already on the range and the range is
        > already closed for the day.  Since the try outs are open to pretty
        > much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
        > another day.  It would also reward the folks who come out every year
        > to compete on the champions teams.  The scores from the competition
        > could also be used to help select members for the teams.  My idea is
        > to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot.  You know, like in
        > the movie Robin Hood.  Any thoughts on this?
        >  >
        > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
        Barony of Highland Foorde - Kingdom of Atlantia
        Society Combat Archery Marshal
      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 2, 2009
          Siegfried,

          Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that the East Kingdom
          limited participation. Here in the Mid it's pretty much anyone who
          wants to try out. I suppose since the champions shoot is so early
          this year it might be better to put it off to the second week when
          there is less of a rush. Can anyone suggest a good day? I assume it
          would be shot after the range closes for points for the day.

          Jim "Gladius"

          >At 08:49 AM 3/2/2009, you wrote:

          >Gladius ... I love the idea of the shoot. You might want to check
          >with the East & Mid KAM's though about doing it during the tryouts.
          >
          >The tryouts aren't always 'fully' open. (East is often less open of a
          >tryout than the Mid is).
          >
          >And I might be concerned about hundreds of folks showing up to try to
          >win your most excellent wares, and therefore flooding the tryouts and
          >making it harder for the people running the tryouts and trying to
          >actually make some tough decisions.
          >
          >Siegfried
          >
          >On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM, James Koch
          ><<mailto:alchem%40en.com>alchem@...> wrote:
          > > Gentlemen & Ladies,
          > > >
          > > I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
          > > a shoot to be held at Pennsic. The plan is to offer a falchion and a
          > > katzbalger, both of which I have already made. The falchion will go
          > > to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
          > > with the winning scores. It recently occurred to me that this shoot
          > > could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
          > > teams. The marshals are already on the range and the range is
          > > already closed for the day. Since the try outs are open to pretty
          > > much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
          > > another day. It would also reward the folks who come out every year
          > > to compete on the champions teams. The scores from the competition
          > > could also be used to help select members for the teams. My idea is
          > > to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot. You know, like in
          > > the movie Robin Hood. Any thoughts on this?
          > > >
          > > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
          >
          >--
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 11, 2009
            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn up a
            set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
            advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
            butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
            tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
            math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
            remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will be in
            selecting 6 projectiles.

            I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear, and
            have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not asking
            for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you think a
            different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
            sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.

            Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
            1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
            the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
            shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
            same target.
            2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
            hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
            which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.
            3) The shoot is un-timed.
            4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
            participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
            remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
            the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
            did not make a hit are eliminated.
            5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
            to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
            target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
            keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
            eliminated from the competition.
            6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
            made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
            re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
            competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
            remaining from the previous round.
            7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
            winning crossbow shooter remain.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 11, 2009
              Sounds like fun.

              > 2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
              > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
              > which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.

              What about pass-throughs?
              Will the target have some type of central aiming point or will it
              just be a blank face?

              > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
              > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
              > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
              > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
              > eliminated from the competition.

              If an archer does not find all of their misses right away (or after a
              set time limit), they should have to wait for the end of the
              competition to search for them.

              > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
              > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
              > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
              > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
              > remaining from the previous round.

              The rules do not state that the butt is going to be moved further
              away after each end. But, I take it that is the intention.

              > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
              > winning crossbow shooter remain.

              What happens if after X number of ends, you have two archers and two
              crossbow shooters remaining, and then they all miss with their
              remaining arrows/bolts?

              Jon

              On Jul 11, 2009, at 8:39 PM, James Koch wrote:

              > Gentlemen & Ladies,
              > >
              > I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic. I have drawn up a
              > set of rules for the contest and have included them below. Be
              > advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
              > butt. I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
              > tripod. This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition. No
              > math whatsoever on anyone's part. Even the distances shot will
              > remain unknown and irrelevant. The only counting required will be in
              > selecting 6 projectiles.
              > >
              > I have a question for the group. Are the following rules clear, and
              > have I covered all the bases? Please understand that I am not asking
              > for improvements or major changes to the competition. If you think a
              > different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
              > sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.
              > >
              > Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
              > 1) This competition will award two prizes. One prize will go to
              > the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
              > shooter. Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
              > same target.
              > 2) The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range. A
              > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
              > which fall or bounce back out. Glances will not be counted as good.
              > 3) The shoot is un-timed.
              > 4) Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts. Each
              > participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
              > remaining arrows or bolts have been expended. Participants who hit
              > the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
              > did not make a hit are eliminated.
              > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
              > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
              > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
              > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
              > eliminated from the competition.
              > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
              > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
              > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
              > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
              > remaining from the previous round.
              > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
              > winning crossbow shooter remain.
              > >
              > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

            • Kelly
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                start with 6 arrows/bolts, any thing that misses is "lost" and cannot be used in the following rounds.

                that it ?

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                  Sounds good. Sounds simple. I've seen a similar thing done before.

                  But you need to move everyone back (or the target back) at each phase.
                  Else you can be sitting there for a LONG LONG time while noone misses
                  until exhaustion sets in.

                  And if you start it nice and close, you can get people feeling good
                  and having fun with it, as the attrition slowly begins. (30yd-ish for
                  the first one? Assuming a 48" Saunders matt?) If you assume that
                  it's moved back 10+yd-ish each time, then after a few rounds you'll
                  whittle it down. And it will become quite the spectator sport with
                  those knocked out watching and enjoying.

                  A couple things to consider also, because someone will ask:

                  1) Pass Throughs - Hopefully not an issue once at distance and if you
                  choose a new-er matt.

                  2) How do you count bounceoffs (or crossbow bolts that cartwheel and
                  hit flat, etc). If witnessed are they a hit? Or must it stick?

                  3) Deflections? If it hits the end of the matt, and is witnessed,
                  does it count?

                  4) If EVERYONE misses (or all bows, or all crossbows), how is it
                  handled? Do you Just 'do over'? Do you bring the target back closer?

                  5) And end-game should perhaps be planned, if you run out of room.
                  IE. Assuming you are using the clout range, then at 120yd or so, you
                  are going to run out of the ability to move the target farther. If
                  you have some better shooters, they 'might' still be hitting it. You
                  should at least have a plan in place, either to stay at 'max distance'
                  until the randomness has someone fail out. Or to declare a multiple
                  winner at that point, or flip a coin, or make people start shooting
                  from one foot ;) You hopefully won't run into this, as the
                  random-distance issue and stray shots will make people start missing
                  earlier, but having an end-game planned in case, would make people
                  happier than a random decision at that point.

                  Siegfried

                  On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:39 PM, James Koch<alchem@...> wrote:
                  > Gentlemen & Ladies,
                  >  >
                  > I am sponsoring an archery competition at Pennsic.  I have drawn up a
                  > set of rules for the contest and have included them below.  Be
                  > advised, I am not yet sure what exactly will constitute the target
                  > butt.  I envision it as a being similar to a Saunders matt on a
                  > tripod.  This is meant to be a simple hit or miss competition.  No
                  > math whatsoever on anyone's part.  Even the distances shot will
                  > remain unknown and irrelevant.  The only counting required will be in
                  > selecting 6 projectiles.
                  >  >
                  > I have a question for the group.  Are the following rules clear, and
                  > have I covered all the bases?  Please understand that I am not asking
                  > for improvements or major changes to the competition.  If you think a
                  > different format is superior, please draw up a set of rules and
                  > sponsor your own competition and I'll enter and compete.
                  >  >
                  > Pennsic 38 Alchem Archery Competition
                  > 1)   This competition will award two prizes.  One prize will go to
                  > the winning hand bow shooter, and the other to the winning crossbow
                  > shooter.  Hand bows and crossbows will shoot simultaneously at the
                  > same target.
                  > 2)   The target consists of a movable butt at an unknown range.  A
                  > hit anywhere on the butt will be counted as good, including hits
                  > which fall or bounce back out.  Glances will not be counted as good.
                  > 3)   The shoot is un-timed.
                  > 4)   Participants each begin with six arrows or bolts.  Each
                  > participant will shoot until a hit is made on the target or all
                  > remaining arrows or bolts have been expended.  Participants who hit
                  > the target stay in the competition into the next round.  Those who
                  > did not make a hit are eliminated.
                  > 5)   Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow shooters
                  > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
                  > target.  These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for safe
                  > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
                  > eliminated from the competition.
                  > 6)   After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which has
                  > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
                  > re-used.  Participants who hit the target and remain in the
                  > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
                  > remaining from the previous round.
                  > 7)   The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and one
                  > winning crossbow shooter remain.
                  >  >
                  > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                  Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
                  Baron of Highland Foorde - Kingdom of Atlantia
                • James Koch
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                    Jon,

                    It's a good thing I posted this to the group. You brought up a
                    number of issues I hadn't addressed. I was thinking in terms of a
                    saunders matt and didn't consider pass throughs. However, just in
                    case I'll add them to the list. I suppose we can add a center mark
                    of sorts to the target face just to help the people who like a hard
                    aiming point. As for the time involved in searching for misses, I
                    don't think this will be a big problem since I expect the shoot to go
                    pretty fast. Of course it will depend on how many people actually
                    decide to compete. If we get 100+ this will be an issue at least in
                    the early rounds. What I can do though is bring along a bunch of
                    those little ground marker flags to show the former locations of the
                    butt. That will make it easier for people who come back later
                    looking for buried projectiles. The butt will definitely be moved
                    back a bit for each new round. Of course this will be left to the
                    marshal. As to the final two participants both missing, that is
                    something which had not occurred to me. I guess we'll then keep the
                    butt where it is and have a sudden death type shoot off where each
                    takes a shot until one hits and the other misses. So when are you
                    making the pilgrimage to Pennsic?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                      If you run out of space to move the target and you have tie scores
                      at that point, you can have the next end at the same distance and the
                      archer closest to the center mark wins. This was a period practice.

                      When will I make it to Pennsic .... when I win the Lottery. ;-)
                      Sounds like a fun competition, I wish I could make it.

                      I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
                      a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
                      Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
                      inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
                      on a period Italian competition.

                      Jon

                      On Jul 12, 2009, at 9:05 AM, James Koch wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > the target stay in the competition into the next round. Those who
                      > > > did not make a hit are eliminated.
                      > > > 5) Once all participants have shot, the marshal will allow
                      > shooters
                      > > > to gather their arrows and bolts from the ground surrounding the
                      > > > target. These misses will be handed to the scoring marshal for
                      > safe
                      > > > keeping until the end of the shoot or until a participant has been
                      > > > eliminated from the competition.
                      > > > 6) After all misses have been gathered, any arrow or bolt which
                      > has
                      > > > made a good hit on the target may be retrieved and
                      > > > re-used. Participants who hit the target and remain in the
                      > > > competition may combine the scoring arrow or bolt with any others
                      > > > remaining from the previous round.
                      > > > 7) The competition will continue until one winning hand bow and

                    • James McAdams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                        John edgerton wrote:

                        >I just ran a somewhat similar competition at An Tir/West war. I had
                        >a series of rings of decreasing size, all shot at the same distance.
                        >Each archer had three arrows, only the archers that one arrow hIt
                        >inside the ring continued to the next smaller target. It was based
                        >on a period Italian competition.

                        We did a combination of these last year as a fundraiser. 3 arrows,
                        and the target moves back. Any arrows that missed the target were lost
                        for future rounds.
                        The fundraising aspect was that you could re-buy any 'lost' arrows.
                        A couple of generous and competitive archers made this the most
                        successful of a half-dozen fundraisers we did that day.

                        Xavier
                      • Hobbe
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009

                          > The butt will definitely be moved
                          > back a bit for each new round.

                          Move the people, not the butt.
                        • James Koch
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                            Kelly,

                            That's it in a nutshell. The rest is all legal mumbo jumbo.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 12, 2009
                              Hobbe,

                              It may be possible to move the people back, if the parallel ranges
                              are closed at that time. I expect to use the existing gates, but
                              until the new ranges are set up, it's hard to say which will work
                              best. Leaving the butt stationary does make finding lost arrows easier.