Re: The Language of Archery

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11 12:54 PM
      I'm just repeating what I'd read in one of my archery history books,
      probably by Soar or Hardy. I don't know any archaic Norman, or know of
      any period text that would support either word used in an
      archery/military context much less used in combination as an understood
      command or exclamation.
      -Cian
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 11 1:13 PM
        I find Soar sometimes make comments that add great colour but don't
        seem to be backed up with any evidence. Hardy often has a source.

        Even finding the earliest explanation for nestroque to be a
        misrepresentation of menee stroke might give us a clue as to whether it
        is a valid explanation.

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik" <firespiter@...>

      • bluecat@neo.rr.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24 7:15 PM
          Enguerrand de Monstrelet is a period source for the Battle of Agincourt

          Link: http://www.archive.org/details/chroniclesengue14johngoog

          This is the text of his chronicles in electronic format

          A borrowed bit of text from a discussion on NetSword is below:

          The author of this account of Agincourt is "Enguerrand de Monstrelet
          (d.1453), governor of Cambrai and supporter of the French crown."
          *(snip)*... He includes a number of interesting details, like the name
          of the commander of the [i]English[/i] archers and the fact that many of
          them had their "hose loose"; which has been attributed to the dysentery
          raging among the English. His passage about Erpingham ordering the
          English archers to open the battle is of sufficient interest that it is
          specifically discussed in Anne Curry's book [b]Agincourt 1415[/i]. The
          author concludes that "Nestroque" was the french rendition of a man with
          a Norfolk accent shouting "Now Strike!".

          Hugh Soar makes his own comments in Vol. 44 of Society for Archer
          Antiquaries in 2001, but that doesn't appear to be available unless you
          are a member

          Link: http://www.societyofarcher-antiquaries.org/publications.htm

          A recent work- 'Cavalry from Hoof to Track' By Roman Johann Jarymowycz,
          Roman Jarymowycz, Donn A. Starry
          at:http://books.google.com/books?id=nQDBUgwGae4C&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=nestroque&source=bl&ots=H69TWboH0L&sig=BjN_ByR8630t4W_K2oRLdV9gtKw&hl=en&ei=57SkSfWFNMe_tgfRmIzKBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA52,M1

          Also says Sir Thomas Erpingham says "Now Strike" on page 51, and while
          footnoted, I cant get to the bibliographic page for the reference.

          Dirk Edward of Frisia