Re: Bow Decision

  • John and Carol Atkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2009
      I am in agreement with the advice here. Joe of Elk Ridge Archery told
      me "never buy a bow without first shooting it." If these bows are at a
      local archery shop then heed that advice. As you are choosing between
      a recurve and a longbow they will have different shooting
      characteristics. As for buying a used bow, I have done that several
      times and had nothing but positive results. I would assume your local
      archery shop is reputable and wants your business. If you buy the used
      bow and it fails they should make some compensation for it's failure.

      Several years ago I went to Gulf Wars and stupidly left all my archery
      gear sitting in my garage in North Carolina! I bought a beautiful bow
      from Elk Ridge at Gulf Wars and shot it all week long. When I got home
      the next week I was out shooting and the lower limb failed. I called
      Joe of Elk Ridge and told him the bow failed. He said "No problem,
      send it back and I'll build you another one." Two months later I had
      another beautiful bow with some custom points I had asked for. A good
      reputable dealer is a good thing to find!

      cog