Bow Decision

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
      Greetings.

      I'm looking to upgrade to a longbow in a higher weight than my current
      t/d recurve, and am working within my current budget.

      Which would those who are wise and more knowledgeable than myself
      purchase of these two:
      - order a brand new 45# PSE Legacy Longbow (approx. $199) from a
      local archery shop
      - purchase a used 45# longbow of unknown history from a local
      archery shop

      I figure I will order a set of arrows when I order or purchase. But be
      forewarned...I will be back to ask questions to make my own arrows for
      whichever path I choose.

      Thank you, in advance.

      Adrian
    • Egil Haraldsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
        Are both from the same local shop?
        If yes, ask the owner about both bows, also if there is a local
        range, indoor or outdoor ask the owner if he/she will allow you to
        shoot both bows before you decide. Then make a choice dependant on
        how the bows shoot. Other than that some people just like new stuff :)
        Happy Shooting
        Egil

        I just bought a new bow myself, I hope you are happy with your choice.

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian" <ashamblin4@...> wrote:

        > Greetings.
        >
        > I'm looking to upgrade to a longbow in a higher weight than my
        current
        > t/d recurve, and am working within my current budget.
        >
        > Which would those who are wise and more knowledgeable than myself
        > purchase of these two:
        > - order a brand new 45# PSE Legacy Longbow (approx. $199) from a
        > local archery shop
        > - purchase a used 45# longbow of unknown history from a local
        > archery shop
        >
        > I figure I will order a set of arrows when I order or purchase. But
        be
        > forewarned...I will be back to ask questions to make my own arrows
        for
        > whichever path I choose.
        >
        > Thank you, in advance.
        >
        > Adrian

      • Robert Maddison
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
          I personally would not buy a used bow with no knowledge of its past,at least
          who owned it in the past.
          the new bow may have invisible flaws but at least you should have a
          warrantee should anything tragic happen to it.
          Llywyllyn

          On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Adrian <ashamblin4@...> wrote:

          > Greetings.
          >
          > I'm looking to upgrade to a longbow in a higher weight than my current
          > t/d recurve, and am working within my current budget.
          >
          > Which would those who are wise and more knowledgeable than myself
          > purchase of these two:
          > - order a brand new 45# PSE Legacy Longbow (approx. $199) from a
          > local archery shop
          > - purchase a used 45# longbow of unknown history from a local
          > archery shop
          >
          > I figure I will order a set of arrows when I order or purchase. But be
          > forewarned...I will be back to ask questions to make my own arrows for
          > whichever path I choose.
          >
          > Thank you, in advance.
          >
          > Adrian

        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
            If you are buying a used bow from a shop ask about a warranty. 90
            days should be enough if you shoot a couple of days a week.
            Carolus

            At 01:00 PM 1/30/2009, you wrote:
            >I personally would not buy a used bow with no knowledge of its past,at least
            >who owned it in the past.
            >the new bow may have invisible flaws but at least you should have a
            >warrantee should anything tragic happen to it.
            >Llywyllyn
          • John and Carol Atkins
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2009
              I am in agreement with the advice here. Joe of Elk Ridge Archery told
              me "never buy a bow without first shooting it." If these bows are at a
              local archery shop then heed that advice. As you are choosing between
              a recurve and a longbow they will have different shooting
              characteristics. As for buying a used bow, I have done that several
              times and had nothing but positive results. I would assume your local
              archery shop is reputable and wants your business. If you buy the used
              bow and it fails they should make some compensation for it's failure.

              Several years ago I went to Gulf Wars and stupidly left all my archery
              gear sitting in my garage in North Carolina! I bought a beautiful bow
              from Elk Ridge at Gulf Wars and shot it all week long. When I got home
              the next week I was out shooting and the lower limb failed. I called
              Joe of Elk Ridge and told him the bow failed. He said "No problem,
              send it back and I'll build you another one." Two months later I had
              another beautiful bow with some custom points I had asked for. A good
              reputable dealer is a good thing to find!

              cog