Longbow or Recurve

  • Egil Haraldsson
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
      I know I will get a lot of different opinions on this but I am there.

      I am ready to move up on the quality of my bow. I will say between
      300.00 - 500.00 range. What I can not get my head around is long bow
      or recurve. I want a (now don't everyone) smooth, fast bow at 40-45#
      range. I am looking very hard at the Bear bows but they begin at 45#.
      I have been shooting a 35# bow for the last 3 years. Is 45# to big of
      a move??

      I apologize for starting the storm but I want to make a decision soon
      so I can get practicing before GW.

      A little info on what I have been shooting:

      I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex 34#, 56"
      Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more than the
      longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to shoot
      fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the feel of
      the grip.

      Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I agree,
      the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the same
      speed and accuracy??

      Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested
      dealers/bowers/etc would be a help.

      Egil
      Gleann Abhann
    • Carl Nelson
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
        first before I say anything about draw weight, let me just say that you do not!!! have to get a longbow to have a period bow. most of the eaqstern european/middle eastern/mongol horse bows are a recurve alternative to to the longbow and are period. Now back to draw weight 35# to 45# is a big jump and if you are not carful you might strain something and have to stop shooting for a time to let things heal (I know this because it happened to me). for a look at horse bows try this site http://www.grozerarchery.com/htm/torok/torok.htm%c2%a0for further discussion contact me off list.

        YISCARL NELSON
        Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
        236 S. Ave. 55 Apt. D
        323-344-7030
        Capt. of Archers Barony of the Angels

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
          Well I will put on my art�s hat. IF your going to upgrade then I would
          suggest that you go period. Which is longbow or one of the Mongolian
          recurve or even Japanese bamboo. So what is your persona? OR can you come
          up with a great Story from having non-traditional bow?

          Damales.

          _____

[...]

          Checked by AVG.
          7:08 AM

          Checked by AVG.
          7:08 AM

        • James of the Lake
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
            All you have to do is to bring an eastern recurve back with you from
            the holy land.

            For a Yumi, it would be more plausible if you were a late period
            Portuguese sailor.

            James

            On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:

            > Well I will put on my art’s hat. IF your going to upgrade then I would
            > suggest that you go period. Which is longbow or one of the Mongolian
            > recurve or even Japanese bamboo. So what is your persona? OR can
            > you come
            > up with a great Story from having non-traditional bow?
            >
            > Damales.
            >

            > _____
            >
            > I know I will get a lot of different opinions on this but I am there.
            >
            > I am ready to move up on the quality of my bow. I will say between
            > 300.00 - 500.00 range. What I can not get my head around is long bow
            > or recurve. I want a (now don't everyone) smooth, fast bow at 40-45#
            > range. I am looking very hard at the Bear bows but they begin at 45#.
            > I have been shooting a 35# bow for the last 3 years. Is 45# to big of
            > a move??
            >
            > I apologize for starting the storm but I want to make a decision soon
            > so I can get practicing before GW.
            >
            > A little info on what I have been shooting:
            >
            > I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex 34#, 56"
            > Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more than the
            > longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to shoot
            > fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the feel of
            > the grip.
            >
            > Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I agree,
            > the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the same
            > speed and accuracy??
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested
            > dealers/bowers/-etc would be a help.
            >
            > Egil
            > Gleann Abhann

            > Checked by AVG.
            > 1/26/2009
            > 7:08 AM

            > Checked by AVG.
            > 1/26/2009
            > 7:08 AM

          • Egil Haraldsson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
              Actually I am 1Oth Century Viking so the longbow would be my best bet.

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@...>

              Date:

              Date:
              > > 1/26/2009
              > > 7:08 AM

            • Dan Scheid
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                Ah come on I was hoping for a really good story. (smile)

                All you have to do is to bring an eastern recurve back with you from
                the holy land.

                For a Yumi, it would be more plausible if you were a late period
                Portuguese sailor.

                James

                On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:

                > Well I will put on my art’s hat. IF your going to upgrade then I would
                > suggest that you go period. Which is longbow or one of the Mongolian
                > recurve or even Japanese bamboo. So what is your persona? OR can
                > you come
                > up with a great Story from having non-traditional bow?
                >
                > Damales.
                >

                > _____
                >
                > I know I will get a lot of different opinions on this but I am there.
                >
                > I am ready to move up on the quality of my bow. I will say between
                > 300.00 - 500.00 range. What I can not get my head around is long bow
                > or recurve. I want a (now don't everyone) smooth, fast bow at 40-45#
                > range. I am looking very hard at the Bear bows but they begin at 45#.
                > I have been shooting a 35# bow for the last 3 years. Is 45# to big of
                > a move??
                >
                > I apologize for starting the storm but I want to make a decision soon
                > so I can get practicing before GW.
                >
                > A little info on what I have been shooting:
                >
                > I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex 34#, 56"
                > Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more than the
                > longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to shoot
                > fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the feel of
                > the grip.
                >
                > Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I agree,
                > the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the same
                > speed and accuracy??
                >
                > Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested
                > dealers/bowers/-etc would be a help.
                >
                > Egil
                > Gleann Abhann

                > Checked by AVG.
                > 1/26/2009
                > 7:08 AM

                > Checked by AVG.
                > 1/26/2009
                > 7:08 AM

                7:08 AM

                Checked by AVG.
                7:08 AM
              • Dan Scheid
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                  Ok if you go with a LB you can usually pull a heavier draw weight then a
                  recurve. So something in the 45-50# range should still be comfortable

                  Most good SCA dealer will let you try a bow IE one or two arrows to get a
                  feel of the bow. I would wait until GW and buy there unless you have a
                  contact closer.

                  Damales

                  _____

                  Actually I am 1Oth Century Viking so the longbow would be my best bet.

                  --- In HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com"SCA-Archery@-yahoogroups.-com, James
                  of the Lake <jotl2008@..-.>

                  Date:

                  Date:
                  > > 1/26/2009
                  > > 7:08 AM

                  Checked by AVG.
                  7:08 AM

                  Checked by AVG.
                  7:08 AM

                • Frederick Fenters
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                    Another option: go crossbow. It is an entirely different discipline than
                    using longbow, flatbow, horsebow, or recurve. BTW, there is documentation
                    of relatively short, recurved bows on the European continent, especially in
                    the "Low Countries" such as Belgium. The woods they had readily available
                    were not well suited for longbows.

                    Crossbows were more common on the Continent, both as sporting and war
                    weapons, and particularly in the areas of Switzerland and the Italies.

                    Padraig

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                      Viking bows tended to be relatively short, deflexed (a sort of a modified
                      recurve) and fashioned with a rectangular cross section, by the sources I
                      have seen. The woods that were native to Scandinavia dictated a wide flat
                      construction, rather like those of the Native Americans.

                      Padraig

                      _____

                      Actually I am 1Oth Century Viking so the longbow would be my best bet.

                      --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                      James of the Lake <jotl2008@...>

                      Date:

                      Date:
                      > > 1/26/2009
                      > > 7:08 AM

                    • jameswolfden
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                        My sources would indicate almost the opposite.

                        The Nydam bows are pretty darn close to the English Longbow. Long
                        with a roundish or oval cross section. Mostly constructed out of yew.

                        In Service,
                        James Wolfden

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters"

                        Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
> [...]
                        > > > so I can get practicing before GW.
                        > > >
                        > > > A little info on what I have been shooting:
                        > > >
                        > > > I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex
                        34#,
                        > 56"
                        > > > Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more
                        than
                        > the
                        > > > longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to
                        > shoot
                        > > > fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the
                        feel of
                        > > > the grip.
                        > > >
                        > > > Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I
                        > agree,
                        > > > the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the
                        > same
                        > > > speed and accuracy??
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested

                      • Dan Scheid
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                          Cool can you post the ISBN of the sources?

                          Damales

                          _____

                          From: HYPERLINK

                          Date:

                          Date:
                          > > 1/26/2009
                          > > 7:08 AM

                          Checked by AVG.
                          7:08 AM

                          Checked by AVG.
                          7:08 AM

                        • atruemark@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                            Crossbow would certainly be one good option. Another would be the shorter
                            hunting style yew wood longbow favored by the Scandinavians. Based on the
                            little bit of archeological finds, these bows were likely in the 60 lb range and
                            about the length of a modern longbow but made in the D-section common to
                            medieval European bows. It wouldn't be unreasonable to shoot a smaller replica
                            at about 40 lbs to accommodate both your persona and strength.

                            As for arrow speeds between traditionally crafted bows and modern recurves,
                            you could concentrate on making your arrows as absolutely light as possible
                            yet still matched to the bow. This would help bridge the speed gap.

                            Andras
                            steps!
                            cemailfooterNO62)

                          • Lianor de Najera
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                              One thing to consider about crossbow - the laws surrounding them can
                              often be different. For example, here in Calgary we have a city
                              ordinance that crossbows cannot be shot within city limits. So the
                              archery range where we have weekly practices and most of our tourneys
                              cannot allow crossbows. I have no idea how usual or unusual this is,
                              but it might bear looking into before deciding on a switch to crossbow.

                              En Servicio,
                              Lianor de Najera

                              Frederick Fenters wrote:

                              > Another option: go crossbow. It is an entirely different discipline than
                              > using longbow, flatbow, horsebow, or recurve. BTW, there is documentation
                              > of relatively short, recurved bows on the European continent,
                              > especially in
                              > the "Low Countries" such as Belgium. The woods they had readily available
                              > were not well suited for longbows.
                              >
                              > Crossbows were more common on the Continent, both as sporting and war
                              > weapons, and particularly in the areas of Switzerland and the Italies.
                              >
                              > Padraig

                            • Egil Haraldsson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                Thanks but I am not interested in crosbow,except for combat archery,
                                at this time. I still enjoy traditional shooting. I was just in that
                                self battle of period verses what I am used to. I enjoy archery and
                                want to be able to competitive at events. Thanks for the suggestions
                                and ideas.

                                Egil

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lianor de Najera
                                <lianordenajera@...> wrote:

                                > One thing to consider about crossbow - the laws surrounding them can
                                > often be different. For example, here in Calgary we have a city
                                > ordinance that crossbows cannot be shot within city limits. So the
                                > archery range where we have weekly practices and most of our
                                tourneys
                                > cannot allow crossbows. I have no idea how usual or unusual this
                                is,
                                > but it might bear looking into before deciding on a switch to
                                crossbow.

                                > En Servicio,
                                > Lianor de Najera
                                >

                                > Frederick Fenters wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Another option: go crossbow. It is an entirely different
                                discipline than
                                > > using longbow, flatbow, horsebow, or recurve. BTW, there is
                                documentation
                                > > of relatively short, recurved bows on the European continent,
                                > > especially in
                                > > the "Low Countries" such as Belgium. The woods they had readily
                                available
                                > > were not well suited for longbows.
                                > >
                                > > Crossbows were more common on the Continent, both as sporting and
                                war
                                > > weapons, and particularly in the areas of Switzerland and the
                                Italies.

                                > > Padraig

                              • Frederick Fenters
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                  They were on paper, mostly copies, and have disappeared in the 15+ years and
                                  4 moves since they were considered decent documentation. Others have access
                                  to more recent information, including use of Yew. I stand by my words, but
                                  am bowing to more recent data.

                                  _____

                                  From: HYPERLINK

                                  Date:

                                  Date:
                                  > > 1/26/2009
                                  > > 7:08 AM

                                  Checked by AVG.
                                  7:08 AM

                                  Checked by AVG.
                                  7:08 AM

                                • Frederick Fenters
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                    Such discriminatory laws have been successfully challenged in some places.
                                    Don't ask for documentation, my creeping senility has been galloping again
                                    recently. I know that most cities have laws restricting the use of
                                    projectile weapons of all sorts, considering all to be in the same category
                                    as modern firearms. If you have a range already in place for archery, they
                                    have most probably been granted an exception to the local ordinance. The
                                    way to obtain permission for the crossbow is to approach the local authority
                                    that creates the laws, explain politely and with documentation, what you
                                    wish to do and why it will not be a danger nor a breach of the peace.

                                    In general, the laws are not there to keep people from learning or having
                                    fun, but to protect us from those who are malevolent in intent or just too
                                    damn stupid to be allowed to wander around aimlessly.

                                    Padraig

                                    _____

                                    Frederick Fenters wrote:

                                    > Another option: go crossbow. It is an entirely different discipline than
                                    > using longbow, flatbow, horsebow, or recurve. BTW, there is documentation
                                    > of relatively short, recurved bows on the European continent,
                                    > especially in
                                    > the "Low Countries" such as Belgium. The woods they had readily available
                                    > were not well suited for longbows.
                                    >
                                    > Crossbows were more common on the Continent, both as sporting and war
                                    > weapons, and particularly in the areas of Switzerland and the Italies.
                                    >
                                    > Padraig

                                  • John and Carol Atkins
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                      Egil,
                                      Having two recurve bows, Martin Hunter and Bear Kodiak Magnum, three
                                      longbows, 2 ElkRidge (Pilgrim) and one Cold Mountain, and one horse
                                      bow, Flagella Dae, I'll weigh in with my two cents worth and personal
                                      observations.

                                      First the longbows. From ElkRidge Archery, your Pilgrim bow, one is
                                      38 pound and the other 49. Both are of the reflex/deflex design.
                                      The 49 pounder shoots very fast and flat compared to the 38.
                                      Obivous. But I can shoot the 38 all day long and not get tired. If
                                      I stay in shape, I can shoot the 49 pounder all day but know I've
                                      shot lots of archery at the end of the day.

                                      My Cold Mountain longbow is 48 pound draw. It is glass layered over
                                      a wood core with action bamboo backing. In essence it is the same
                                      reflex/deflex design as the ElkRidge bows but considerably faster. I
                                      attribute that to the action bamboo. All my longbows have
                                      essentially straight grips. That is no pistol grips like on the
                                      recurves but not a grip like on a true English Longbow (of which I
                                      have one of those also).

                                      Both the Martin Hunter and Bear Kodiak Magnum (an old greenie) are 45
                                      pound draw. Because of the mechanics of how recurves work they are
                                      both easier to draw and hold than the 48 and 49 pound longbows.
                                      Also, due to the mechanics of a recurve they are slightly faster
                                      although I believe, not actually measured scientifically, not as fast
                                      as my Cold Mountain longbow.

                                      The horse bow lives up to its advertising in that at 40 pound draw it
                                      shoots more like a 50 - 55 pound bow. It has a true straight grip in
                                      that there is no left, right, up or down on it. Again, as the
                                      forerunner to the modern recurve bows, the mechanics of how the bow
                                      works allows for easier draw and hold while performing like a higher
                                      poundage longbow.

                                      In answer to your question about periodness of your archery
                                      equipment, recurve bows are period and they don't have to be horse
                                      bows with syhas to be period. Reflex/deflex longbows, i.e. your
                                      Pilgrim, are also period based on some recent reading I've done but
                                      have since forgotten the specific source. In your price range you
                                      have lots of choices both longbow and recurve. As for jumping from
                                      35 to 45 you will experience some noticable difference. However, get
                                      in the mode of an exercise routine specific to the muscles we archers
                                      use and you should not be hampered by the increased draw weight.
                                      Specifically any degree of discomfort should go away when you see
                                      more consistent results. That is not so say lower poundage bows are
                                      inconsistent, but my own experience proves that higher poundage bows,
                                      i.e. 45 - 55, give me better results. I atrribute that to the arrow
                                      getting off the bow faster and having less time for my after-release
                                      antics to affect its flight. SMILE HERE!

                                      cog

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil Haraldsson"
                                      <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

                                      > I know I will get a lot of different opinions on this but I am
                                      there.

                                      > I am ready to move up on the quality of my bow. I will say between
                                      > 300.00 - 500.00 range. What I can not get my head around is long
                                      bow
                                      > or recurve. I want a (now don't everyone) smooth, fast bow at 40-
                                      45#
                                      > range. I am looking very hard at the Bear bows but they begin at
                                      45#.
                                      > I have been shooting a 35# bow for the last 3 years. Is 45# to big
                                      of
                                      > a move??
                                      >
                                      > I apologize for starting the storm but I want to make a decision
                                      soon
                                      > so I can get practicing before GW.
                                      >
                                      > A little info on what I have been shooting:
                                      >
                                      > I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex 34#,
                                      56"
                                      > Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more than
                                      the
                                      > longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to
                                      shoot
                                      > fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the feel of
                                      > the grip.
                                      >
                                      > Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I agree,
                                      > the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the same
                                      > speed and accuracy??
                                      >
                                      > Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested
                                      > dealers/bowers/etc would be a help.
                                      >
                                      > Egil
                                      > Gleann Abhann

                                    • gemphyre
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                        Not necessarily. While Scandinavians (i.e. Vikings) were best known for their fighting, they
                                        were also wide ranging merchants, and their trading did go into the Mediterranean as well
                                        as deep into the continent.

                                        http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/raiders-vikings.html

                                        A simple expansion of your character's background could easily explain an "unusual" bow.

                                        Your father/uncle/older brother/long time friend of the family is a merchant and has
                                        travelled widely in buying and selling goods. For your coming of age test and celebration,
                                        he gave you something that he purchased from a far off land, a bow of unusual style.
                                        Already a good archer, you were fascinated and enamored by this bow, and endeavored to
                                        learn its strengths, weaknesses, and to master it. The person who gave you the bow was
                                        able to tell you stories of what the people who made the bow were able to do with it, and
                                        what they used it for, so you have some idea what to work on.

                                        You get to fill in the rest of the blanks. Do you feel that this would be a valid background
                                        for your persona?

                                        Antonio Tagliaferro
                                        Shire of Shadowed Stars
                                        Middle Kingdom

                                        wrote:

                                        > Actually I am 1Oth Century Viking so the longbow would be my best bet.
                                        >
                                        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl2008@>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > All you have to do is to bring an eastern recurve back with you
                                        > from
                                        > > the holy land.
                                        > >
                                        > > For a Yumi, it would be more plausible if you were a late period
                                        > > Portuguese sailor.
                                        > >
                                        > > James
                                        > >
                                        > > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Well I will put on my art's hat. IF your going to upgrade then I
                                        > would
                                        > > > suggest that you go period. Which is longbow or one of the
                                        > Mongolian
                                        > > > recurve or even Japanese bamboo. So what is your persona? OR
                                        > can
                                        > > > you come
                                        > > > up with a great Story from having non-traditional bow?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Damales.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > _____
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I know I will get a lot of different opinions on this but I am
                                        > there.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I am ready to move up on the quality of my bow. I will say between
                                        > > > 300.00 - 500.00 range. What I can not get my head around is long
                                        > bow
                                        > > > or recurve. I want a (now don't everyone) smooth, fast bow at 40-
                                        > 45#
                                        > > > range. I am looking very hard at the Bear bows but they begin at
                                        > 45#.
                                        > > > I have been shooting a 35# bow for the last 3 years. Is 45# to
                                        > big of
                                        > > > a move??
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I apologize for starting the storm but I want to make a decision
                                        > soon
                                        > > > so I can get practicing before GW.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > A little info on what I have been shooting:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I have been shooting a Bullseye, 35# 62" and a Reflex/Deflex 34#,
                                        > 56"
                                        > > > Pilgram I purchased at GW. I like shooting the recurve more than
                                        > the
                                        > > > longbow becase of the speed of the arrow. The recurve seems to
                                        > shoot
                                        > > > fasters and I get better grouping from it. I also like the feel of
                                        > > > the grip.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Now I know there will be the whole "period" discussion and I
                                        > agree,
                                        > > > the question then comes, which longbow do I look at to get the
                                        > same
                                        > > > speed and accuracy??
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks in advance for your conciderations. Oh any suggested
                                        > > > dealers/bowers/-etc would be a help.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Egil
                                        > > > Gleann Abhann

                                      • jameswolfden
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 27, 2009
                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "gemphyre" <sebree@...> wrote:

                                          > A simple expansion of your character's background could easily
                                          explain an "unusual" bow.

                                          Greetings Antonio,

                                          You have touched upon something that I have always found a bit of a
                                          condumdrum.

                                          When I first joined the SCA, one of the pieces of advice given to me
                                          about choosing a persona was to base your persona on the clothes you
                                          wanted to wear. I have always found that makes sense.

                                          The longer I have been in the SCA, the authentic my clothes have
                                          become. I started out wearing a generic T-Tunic and dark sweat pants
                                          and called it an attempt at 14th Century English. The sweat pants gave
                                          way to parti-coloured cotton pants and then to linen or wool hose and
                                          braies.

                                          There was a desire on my part to look the part. That included the right
                                          fabric, right colours, and everything else. I am not there yet but I
                                          hope that at some point I would look like an English archer circa 1350.

                                          That includes a bow appropriate to an English Archer around that time.

                                          Now, I could find a way to justify a hornbow because I do want to shoot
                                          one but...

                                          it would never really look authentic no matter what story I came up
                                          with. I have heard many stories from people trying to justify something
                                          that just doesn't look quite right. But they always end up sounding
                                          like an elaborate justification.

                                          But if I am carrying something that looks like an English Longbow, I
                                          don't have to come up with a justification. It just looks right. I can
                                          then work on fleshing out my persona by concentrating on learning what
                                          life would really be like for a 14th Century English Archer. And that
                                          represents in itself a wealth of information to research and learn.

                                          I will probably still get that hornbow at some point and when I do,
                                          rather than find a justification for why an Englishman has such a bow,
                                          I will develop a second persona of a Song Dynasty warrior. And then I
                                          can just as much fun researching out everything I need to make that
                                          persona as authentic as I can get.

                                          Just different ways of looking at it.

                                          In Service,
                                          James Wolfden
                                        • Egil Haraldsson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 28, 2009
                                            I ended up ordering one of these:

                                            http://www.selfbow.com/stock.html#anchor26014356

                                            http://www.selfbow.com/

                                            I ordered the 66" 40# Classic one piece Longbow. He is putting 16
                                            strand Flemish Twist.

                                            It was a little bit more than I wanted to pay but after taking to the
                                            bower I believe it will be to my liking. He is making it and should
                                            have it ready toward the end of next month. I can't wait to try it out.

                                            Egil
                                          • atruemark@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 28, 2009
                                              Good choice, Egil...I know the bowyer personally and he is a master
                                              craftsman. This is a case of getting what you pay for and you'll be most pleased
                                              with the quality and shooting characteristics of your new bow.

                                              Andras
                                              steps!
                                              cemailfooterNO62)

                                            • atruemark@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 28, 2009
                                                I think it's entirely plausible for a trader persona with an interest in
                                                archery to want to know about the different archery styles in the areas in which
                                                the trade was conducted. My own persona, that of a 9th century Gotlander
                                                opening up trade contacts in Novgorod, would have been fascinated by the local
                                                two-wood bows, especially since they were purported to have better shooting
                                                characteristics than the simple self bows used for hunting by the
                                                Scandinavians. While there is no reason that our forebears wouldn't have been just as
                                                prone to homer-ism in their weapon choices (preferring the known over the
                                                unknown), it's equally possible that pure curiosity would have allowed for
                                                experimentation as well.

                                                Andras
                                                steps!
                                                cemailfooterNO62)

                                              • Egil Haraldsson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 28, 2009
                                                  Very true in fact most nations were known for picking up on the
                                                  weapon technology of those they fought against or traded with.

                                                  I really don't have any issues with the horse bow and maybe one day
                                                  I will try one. I guess my concern was that modern recurves are not
                                                  concidered in the "Period" list. I have been in my limited SCA life
                                                  strived toward a more period look both in garb and weapon style. I
                                                  feel it gives us that mystery and spirit I always enjoy while
                                                  standing at the line.

                                                  I really liked the discussion about moving toward more period
                                                  targets and scoring even if it means working harder on my part. In
                                                  fact has anyone found a USA vendor for those targets?? If not please
                                                  post the vendor that you have for them again.

                                                  It was fun talking to many Bowers and deciding on a bow. I really
                                                  liked the Black Widow Longbow but was not ready to move to a $1000.00
                                                  bow. :) Thanks for your advice and insights. I hope to see each of
                                                  you at Gulf Wars and on the line. I will be at the range often
                                                  assisting the Range Master.

                                                  Happy Shooting,
                                                  Egil

                                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, atruemark@... wrote:

                                                  > I think it's entirely plausible for a trader persona with an
                                                  interest in
                                                  > archery to want to know about the different archery styles in the
                                                  areas in which
                                                  > the trade was conducted. My own persona, that of a 9th century
                                                  Gotlander
                                                  > opening up trade contacts in Novgorod, would have been fascinated
                                                  by the local
                                                  > two-wood bows, especially since they were purported to have better
                                                  shooting
                                                  > characteristics than the simple self bows used for hunting by the
                                                  > Scandinavians. While there is no reason that our forebears
                                                  wouldn't have been just as
                                                  > prone to homer-ism in their weapon choices (preferring the known
                                                  over the
                                                  > unknown), it's equally possible that pure curiosity would have
                                                  allowed for
                                                  > experimentation as well.
                                                  >
                                                  > Andras
                                                  > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
                                                  just 2 easy
                                                  > steps!
                                                  > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?
                                                  redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%
                                                  26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
                                                  > cemailfooterNO62)

                                                • Janet
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 29, 2009
                                                    I've been very happy with my yew ELB from them for many a year now. I
                                                    started out with a Dick Palmer longbow with the same draw weight. I
                                                    soon found that the yew bow didn't tire me out as quickly as the DP bow
                                                    used to. Enjoy!
                                                    Erriil