Re: [SCA-Archery] Period Bow

  • Terrance Timmons
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
      also as some of the people have posted, you need to find your draw length. arrow lengths should be as long as your arm (basic way to figure it out). for practice if you are not very skilled, you might want to get some metal/fibreglass types as the wood are expensive and do break if you only hit the target, usually not an issue, but when you miss, they can hit the target stand, rocks, etc. not fun.

      Terrance
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28 1:57 PM
        Gentlemen & Ladies,

        I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
        a shoot to be held at Pennsic. The plan is to offer a falchion and a
        katzbalger, both of which I have already made. The falchion will go
        to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
        with the winning scores. It recently occurred to me that this shoot
        could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
        teams. The marshals are already on the range and the range is
        already closed for the day. Since the try outs are open to pretty
        much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
        another day. It would also reward the folks who come out every year
        to compete on the champions teams. The scores from the competition
        could also be used to help select members for the teams. My idea is
        to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot. You know, like in
        the movie Robin Hood. Any thoughts on this?

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"