Re: [SCA-Archery] Period Bow

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
      Actually, there was a very strong tradition of archery in France, in Gascony. This is an area known for the use of the Occitan dialect. When the English lost that part of France to the French king, the French monarchs particularly valued this capability. By the early 16th century the Kings of France had revived the practice of Philip Augustus (12th century) to have a mounted personal guard of crossbowmen. Bottom line: we do know what bow an occitan person would have used, a crossbow.

      Charles O'Connor

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2009
        What is the draw weight of your bow, and how long is your draw? These two tidbits are
        used to make arrows that are right for you and your bow.

        --Rhys Cantor.
        Brother of the Great Dark Horde

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "cuvien1438" <cuvien1438@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information relating
        > to 14th century 'France', and archery?
        >
        > My personae is occitan, which is a mountainous region of what is now
        > central France. I can't find any information to tell me what kind of
        > bow these people used, and what sort of wood it might have been made of.
        >
        > Also, by pure chance I was gifted a recurve bow from an acquaintance
        > and I was thinking of just using this and going to archery practice but
        > I don't have any arrows. Should I just buy some regular arrows? Or do I
        > need some kind of special arrows? I know I want to be period, and I
        > like to make my own stuff, so maybe I should just make my own.
        >
        > Looking at archery sites, I see a lot of different points and
        > materials. How do I know what size shafts to buy and how long they
        > should be? What points are used in archery practices and sca
        > competitions? And where should I buy my supplies?
        >
        > Thank You,
        >
        > Cuvien

      • Terrance Timmons
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
          Actually, there was a royal proclomation in 13/14th century for french nobles that if they couldnt afford "knightly" armour, then they must have and be profecient with a bow. it is on the sca_4peerage group files section.

          YIS

          Terrance
          >I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information relating
          >to 14th century 'France', and archery?
          >
          >My personae is occitan, which is a mountainous region of what is now
          >central France. I can't find any information to tell me what kind of
          >bow these people used, and what sort of wood it might have been made of.
          >
          >Also, by pure chance I was gifted a recurve bow from an acquaintance
          >and I was thinking of just using this and going to archery practice but
          >I don't have any arrows. Should I just buy some regular arrows? Or do I
          >need some kind of special arrows? I know I want to be period, and I
          >like to make my own stuff, so maybe I should just make my own.
          >
          >Looking at archery sites, I see a lot of different points and
          >materials. How do I know what size shafts to buy and how long they
          >should be? What points are used in archery practices and sca
          >competitions? And where should I buy my supplies?
          >
          >Thank You,
          >
          >Cuvien

          The French were not particularly noted for the use of the bow. Being the weapon of a peasant, it was beneath the dignity of a French knight to use, and they didn't much like the idea of having their serfs armed with a weapon that could kill a knight from a distance(or kill one at all; after all, peasants were there to BE killed, not kill their betters!). If the French decided that they needed long-distance weapons, they generally hired mercenary crossbowmen(who they then looked down on with contempt, and often rode down when the crossbowmen wouldn't get out of the knights' way fast enough to suit them).

          Arrows for SCA use must be made of wood, with feather fletching. Good luck finding these in the average sporting goods store. There are several arrow makers (called "fletchers") in the Society, who can do all kinds of custom work for you.
          If you want to make your own(which, for basic arrows, isn't hard at all) all the tools and supplies you'll need can be gotten from 3 Rivers Archery, KustomKing Archery, and several other suppliers. I reccommend a magazine called "Primitive Archer", which has lots of informaive articles, and tons of ads for primitive supplies dealers.
          Hope this helps some.

          Gardr Gunnarsson
          Barony of Settmour Swamp

        • Terrance Timmons
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2009
            also as some of the people have posted, you need to find your draw length. arrow lengths should be as long as your arm (basic way to figure it out). for practice if you are not very skilled, you might want to get some metal/fibreglass types as the wood are expensive and do break if you only hit the target, usually not an issue, but when you miss, they can hit the target stand, rocks, etc. not fun.

            Terrance

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2009
              Gentlemen & Ladies,

              I earlier offered to make two archer's swords available as prizes for
              a shoot to be held at Pennsic. The plan is to offer a falchion and a
              katzbalger, both of which I have already made. The falchion will go
              to the hand bow shooter and the katzbalger to the crossbow shooter
              with the winning scores. It recently occurred to me that this shoot
              could be held during one of the try outs for the champion's shoot
              teams. The marshals are already on the range and the range is
              already closed for the day. Since the try outs are open to pretty
              much everyone, this would save having to set up a special shoot on
              another day. It would also reward the folks who come out every year
              to compete on the champions teams. The scores from the competition
              could also be used to help select members for the teams. My idea is
              to do a simple retreating butt elimination shoot. You know, like in
              the movie Robin Hood. Any thoughts on this?

              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"