Re: weight and styles of historical arrowheads

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
      Hector Cole's website is

      www.hectorcoleironwork.com

      Check out the articles section. He describes a japanese arrowhead he
      made that came out a over 40 grams. He has another article that looks
      at the different types of medieval arrowheads and their particular
      purpose.

      In Service,
      James
    • ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2009
        greetings

        you might try looking in " secrets of the english war bow " by hugh d.h. soar
        he has some excellent pics of different mideaval arrowheads , as well as results as to which were best for war , and which were best for hunting , some with surprising results when shot through armor into pig carcus .

        be safe, be happy, have fun
        arthur

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          Thanks for the suggestions everyone - I've mailed Hector Cole and am
          tracking down the Soar book - they look like very promising leads!

          For those of you familiar with Medieval arrowheads, am I right in
          assuming that socketed arrowheads were most common in that period?
          Is this because they'd have less tendency to split the arrow shaft on
          impact, despite being somewhat more difficult to make than a tang?

          Thanks again!

          Best,
          Jamie

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...>