Re: Bow Sources?

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
      I have some used ones for sell as well as new ones available from my
      suppliers.

      Viking Archery Supply.

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian" <ashamblin4@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, Everyone!
      >
      > I am looking for sources/vendors for a longbow or recurve with the
      > following qualities; 40-45# draw at 27", in the price ranges
      of "under
      > $200" or "$200-250". This will be my Yule/Christmas present to myself
      > this year.
      >
      > A future dervation of this is to purchase a pre-worked stave at the
      > tillering stage and work it to the correct draw weight.
      >
      > Many appreciative thanks, in advance.
      >
      > Adrian

    • Sonette Winslow
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
        I too, have been looking for longbows for my two boys. One of them is 12 and can shoot fairly well with a 30# bow. The other son is 8 and shoots fairly well with slightly less poundage. I don't know the best draw for either but both are small boys.

        If you have any used bows that fit that description, please, let me know

        Sonette Winslow
        (no SCA name - been on this list for more than 2 years)
        "Communicating is not difficult. Listening is hard."

        ________________________________

      • blkknighti@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 15, 2008
          Take a look at http://www.elkridgearchery.com/. they have childrens, youth
          and adult bows and accessories. We have a bow for my 5 yr old and are very
          pleased.
          Richard Woodenbridge

          In a message dated 12/16/08 12:26:10 AM, sonette04@... writes:

          > I too, have been looking for longbows for my two boys. One of them is 12
          > and can shoot fairly well with a 30# bow. The other son is 8 and shoots fairly
          > well with slightly less poundage. I don't know the best draw for either but
          > both are small boys.
          >
          > If you have any used bows that fit that description, please, let me know
          >
          > Sonette Winslow
          > (no SCA name - been on this list for more than 2 years)
          > "Communicating is not difficult. Listening is hard."

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 17, 2008
            I would add that the folks at Elkridge are VERY SCA friendly. A couple of
            years ago, then King Alaric gave them the Dragon's Heart for their services
            to the Archers of all Realms, including but not limited to donations of
            longbows and other gear for prizes at Pennsic and other wars.

            I would add that I have NEVER heard of any problems with the equipment from
            Elkridge. If there ever is a problem, I am positive that it will be made
            right, swiftly and without undue fuss.

            Padraig MacRaighne

            _____

            In a message dated 12/16/08 12:26:10 AM, sonette04@yahoo.
            <mailto:sonette04%40yahoo.com> com writes:

            > I too, have been looking for longbows for my two boys. One of them is 12
            > and can shoot fairly well with a 30# bow. The other son is 8 and shoots
            fairly
            > well with slightly less poundage. I don't know the best draw for either
            but
            > both are small boys.
            >
            > If you have any used bows that fit that description, please, let me know
            >
            > Sonette Winslow
            > (no SCA name - been on this list for more than 2 years)
            > "Communicating is not difficult. Listening is hard."

          • John and Carol Atkins
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 17, 2008
              I would add my two cents worth FOR Elkridge archery. A few years
              back I went to Gulf Wars and upon arriving and setting camp realized
              that my archery gear remained in my garage in North Carolina! Thus I
              had no choice but to purchase a bow which I did from Elkridge. I
              shot the bow all week and very much enjoyed it. Upon returning home
              the following week I was out shooting the bow only to have the lower
              limb fail. I called Joe, the proprietor, and told him of my
              sadness. He responded "No problem. Send it back and I'll build you
              a new one." I asked for a few special treats on it and 2 months
              leater a beautiful bow arrived. I had asked for a longer antler
              feather on the inside and Joe had put a beautiful antler trim on the
              backside of the handle. The feather poped off after a bit and the
              antler backing started to come loose. After trying every glue I
              could get, in frustration I simply carefully cut off the extra one
              inch on each end. The bow shot very smooth and was a real beauty. I
              was happy. That year at Pennsic I wandered into Joe's shop carrying
              the bow. He asked how I liked it. I told him I really liked the way
              it shot but mentioned the antler issues I had had with it. Before I
              knew it, he snatched the bow from my hands, ran to the rack,
              said "You have a big hand, here try this one" and handed me a bow
              right off the rack. He then said "Shoot that all war. If you like
              it keep it, if you don't I'll build you another one." That bow is
              still hanging in my garage.

              I have absolutely no reservations recommending Elkrdige and their
              products. I own two of Joe's bows and love them both. Great bows,
              great price, and really great people. He also has a trade in policy
              for kid's bows. When it's time to trade up in poundage he gives you
              credit for the older bow. Can't beat that!

              cog

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
              wrote:

              > I would add that the folks at Elkridge are VERY SCA friendly. A
              couple of
              > years ago, then King Alaric gave them the Dragon's Heart for their
              services
              > to the Archers of all Realms, including but not limited to
              donations of
              > longbows and other gear for prizes at Pennsic and other wars.
              >

              > I would add that I have NEVER heard of any problems with the
              equipment from
              > Elkridge. If there ever is a problem, I am positive that it will
              be made
              > right, swiftly and without undue fuss.
              >

              > Padraig MacRaighne
            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 17, 2008
                you can add one more recommendation form Caid. When I was running
                archery at GWW, they came by and donated a fantastic bow for a prize
                - unasked!! These people are the true salt of the SCA and what we
                should all strive for.
                Carolus

                At 02:19 PM 12/17/2008, you wrote:

                >snip

                >I have absolutely no reservations recommending Elkrdige and their
                >products. I own two of Joe's bows and love them both. Great bows,
                >great price, and really great people. He also has a trade in policy
                >for kid's bows. When it's time to trade up in poundage he gives you
                >credit for the older bow. Can't beat that!
                >
                >cog
              • Steven Fuller
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 17, 2008
                  I agree wholeheartedly. Joe is *INCREDIBLY* nice, and also incredibly knowledgeable.
                  Generally, if you have any questions about archery at all, he'll either know the answer or
                  know who you can get it from.

                  Fantastic shop. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

                  --Rhys Cantor. (whose horse bow was bought from Joe at Pennsic 3 years ago)