RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Pennsic information for the populace

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008
      These ideas are beibng discussed among the Archery Staff for Pennsic, the
      Greenwood Company, and among the Marshals at Large. Again, once I have word
      from Arwenna and Ian Gourdon, along with permission to speak, I will pass
      things along. The suggestions of posting shooting schedules in the PI daily
      is but one of the proposals being brought forward. Arrangements for a relay
      system for the "Range Open" Flag are already being negotiated, with a
      flagpost to be in place near Inspection Point on the Main Battlefield.

      Padraig

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008
        Here are some ideas: Unofficial announcements. Also, post the
        schedules at the gates, etc. -- any place there will be even a small
        gathering. Archers who "just happen" to attend evening festivities
        could also let their fellow "revellers" know about the next day's
        archery, but BEFORE people begin enebriating themselves (hopefully,
        memories will be more likely to be retained)....

        Just a few options.

        --Artúr

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James McAdams <jmcadams@...>
        wrote:

        > John and Carol Atkins wrote:
        >
        > > To that end, last year I stopped in the PI office and
        > >asked them what I needed to do to become one of their reporters
        with
        > >a specific focus on archery.
        > >

        > Thank you! That was the one suggestion I was going to offer -
        > trying to get a list of the next day's shoots in the the PI.
        Perhaps
        > also some of the archery merchants would be willing to display a
        list,
        > if they could be printed.
        > Any other ideas for getting the word out, without asking people
        > walk to the range every morning?
        >
        > Xavier

      • Mark Cipra
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2008
          My concern here is on the quality of the information.  I was indeed spreading the word like this last year, info I got from a highly official source, and later found it wasn't accurate.  There needs to be *one* *authoritative* source ...
           Llywelyn (Mark Cipra)
          __

          ________________________________

          wrote:

          > John and Carol Atkins wrote:
          >
          > > To that end, last year I stopped in the PI office and
          > >asked them what I needed to do to become one of their reporters
          with
          > >a specific focus on archery.
          > >

          > Thank you! That was the one suggestion I was going to offer -
          > trying to get a list of the next day's shoots in the the PI.
          Perhaps
          > also some of the archery merchants would be willing to display a
          list,
          > if they could be printed.
          > Any other ideas for getting the word out, without asking people
          > walk to the range every morning?
          >
          > Xavier

        • arturdubh
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2008
            Apologies for not being more specific on the "unofficial" part...
            What I meant (and should have said) was "unofficial announcements
            about the Official Archery Schedule, not otherwise included in the
            Official Heraldic Cry (or whatever it's called), direct from the
            Marshal(s) in Charge of the next day's shoot(s)". Or even the shoot
            (s) planned for that same day.

            In other words, those doing the announcing will be reading from a
            prepared "script", just like the official Pennsic Heralds do; if it
            turns out the information is inaccurate, then the inaccuracy will
            have started with the MiC(s), or whomever prepares the "script".
            It'll help to head off the dreaded "Well, this is what I heard..."

            --Artúr