Re: Re: Quivers etc

  • Deann E. Allen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
      Elfwine wrote:
      [snip]
      > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
      > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
      > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
      > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
      > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
      > tolerate this behavior.
      >
      > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
      > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
      > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
      > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.

      I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
      She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
      preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
      doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
      themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
      virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

      When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
      call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
      does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
      courtesy apply equally to all.

      D.
    • Robert L Brunnemer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
        I am sorry I was not going to speak on this thread anymore, because it
        has turned into a heated argument instead of being a helpful debate, but
        I think that I must reply as a 3rd party here.

        Then Dean wrote in response:
        >>>Which in no way invalidates whatever other documentation was found
        by Mistress Kendra. Nor is Macsen's "statement" in any way "faulty,"
        his memory is merely incomplete.>>>

        I read the original post that stated that their was "proof" on the
        bayeau(sp?) tapestry of back quivers. If I remember (I may not be
        totally correct, but I don't think that my mind is failing me that much)
        that someone wrote that in a article, I don't think that it was Macsen,
        without mentioning Mistress Kendra's documentation. The lady in question
        (sorry I forget her name) then stated that the only thing that she could
        find on the Bayeau(sp?) tapestry was a belt quiver around the shoulders.
        (Which I would think would be a back quiver because it is on the back by
        the way.) Then some people (if not many) took this as a personal attack,
        because of some other things that she wrote in jest about Errol Fllynn
        movies (which I didn't get) and about horses standing on their heads. (I
        too thought that to be VERY funny. :-))

        Really I think that all of this was just a GIGANTIC mis-understanding,
        and could have been avoided, but really it seems that people had a bad
        week, and thus all of a sudden here we are on One List. Remember thought
        that a single straw can not break the camel's back. So as Macsen stated
        "The straw that broke the camel's back" means that there had to have been
        MANY other moments that Macsen was unhappy with all of the things that
        had been going on.

        <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in something
        and then set out to find documentation to prove it is perhaps the
        worst insult that can be offered anyone who does research. It would
        be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to claim that your wife set
        out to prove a belief that back quivers did not exist in period.>>>

        If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How are
        things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone would want
        to find something out, (whether something did or didn't happen, or was
        used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or disprove something. From
        the way I read this it sounds like to you as a researcher would have to
        stumble onto things blindly and then say "Hey that is interesting I will
        have to do it that way." Am I way off base or just reading this wrong.
        (By the way I am not being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)

        I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating my
        opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the conversation,
        and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

        Also a bit of advice from a 17 year old that you could take or tell me to
        go to hell with. I have always thought that when people start to argue
        with no real purpose (that is not debating, but name calling arguing) it
        is best to step back a minute think about it from the other point of
        view, and then try to resolve the issue. Again read the upset insult
        part above.

        Have a nice day!!!
        Robert
        Hugewheels@...
        Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

      • lester
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
          As a new member of this list, enough is enough. If Macen is not going to
          apologize for his rudeness, so be it. but lets get on with something
          constructive.

          I wish to learn the correct way to make arrows for war, such as where do I
          get the tips - can they be made - are wooden arrows allowed, if not what
          type are allowed. Where on the web (SCA) can I find this information

          Thanks

          Ifer de Leycester

          > > Tracy's statements, right or wrong, is NOT the issue here. It's the
          > > rude, vulgar language used toward a Lady, and Macsen's tantrum, which
          > > has landed us here without so much as a "peep" from the peers on this
          > > list-service. Whatever happened to morality? Let those who are here
          > > have the decency to stand up and be counted among those who will not
          > > tolerate this behavior.
          > >
          > > Now there may have been "private" e-mailing with Macsen reguarding
          > > this matter to which I am unaware. However, Tracy has a RIGHT to ask
          > > for, and recieve, a public apology. And that has not been forthcoming.
          > > In fact, Macsen was rather rude about that too.
          >
          > I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
          > She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
          > preconceived beliefs, and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
          > doing proper research. These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
          > themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
          > virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.
          >
          > When two people are publicly rude to each other, you cannot in justice
          > call for only one to publicly tender an apology. Gentle is as gentle
          > does, Lord and Lady are titles of *courtesy,* and the strictures of
          > courtesy apply equally to all.
          >
          > D.

          > ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

        • Deann E. Allen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 1999
            Robert L Brunnemer wrote:

            > From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
            [snip]
            > <<<Saying that anyone would start from a desire to believe in
            > something and then set out to find documentation to prove it is
            > perhaps the worst insult that can be offered anyone who does
            > research. It would be just as easy -- and uncalled-for -- to
            > claim that your wife set out to prove a belief that back quivers
            > did not exist in period.>>>
            >
            > If this is really an attack than I am really messed up here. How
            > are things proved by documentation. I always thought that someone
            > would want to find something out, (whether something did or didn't
            > happen, or was used) look in a lot of books, and then prove or
            > disprove something. From the way I read this it sounds like to
            > you as a researcher would have to stumble onto things blindly and
            > then say "Hey that is interesting I will have to do it that way."
            > Am I way off base or just reading this wrong. (By the way I am not
            > being sarcastic, I am truly curious about this.)
            >
            > I am not trying to upset or insult anyone here, I am just stating
            > my opinion as a person who really has nothing to do with the
            > conversation, and is therefore an unconcerned third party.

            Someone once said that the best way to lie is to tell only part of
            the truth. Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
            prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
            the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
            research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
            would not tell all the truth about what you found. That is why such
            an accusation is an insult to anyone who conducts research.

            As to whether Tracy's comments were meant in jest and were taken as
            serious.... Well, that's why someone invented emoticons. When you
            say something that is not to be taken seriously, adding a smile :)
            or a wink ;) will make that clear to the reader. When such are
            absent, it is usual to take the comment as being serious. Some
            people eschew emoticons as being uncouth. I have found they mostly
            enhance understanding, if used in moderation.

            D.
            --
            100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!
          • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
              In a message dated 7/31/99 1:01:24 AM, dallen@... writes:

              >I must disagree, Elfwine. Tracy's comments ARE part of the issue.
              >She made accusations of fabricating documentation to justify
              >preconceived beliefs,

              She made no accusations at all. Please re read the original post.

              >and of emulating Errol Flynn movies instead of
              >doing proper research.

              She said that this all is OK with her.

              >These remarks were uncalled-for and rude in
              >themselves. That she made these remarks while -- knowingly or not --
              >virtually standing in Macsen's house makes it even more inexcusable.

              The list is not Macsens "house". Ifso he is certainly a rude host.
              You have no idea what she meant and do you are presumptious to state anything
              of the sort.
              I was there when she wrote it. You are wrong in your presumptions of her
              intent.
              Richard
            • Robert L Brunnemer
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                Hallo!!!

                Dean wrote:
                <<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>>

                I am sorry, but this too does not sit well with me. There is something
                about it that I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to
                want to document something would be because someone would want to know if
                it actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining "journey"
                than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues would be
                followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of why someone
                decided to prove so and so more than what they thought before hand? I
                know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not completely thinking
                straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am writing it, if you
                don't understand please tell me and in the morning I will re-word it or
                whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                don't take it personally. And...

                Have a nice day!!!
                Robert
                Hugewheels@...
                Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

              • Ramos & Aaminah
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                  Please remove me from the your list
                • M&L Romanowski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                    Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                    on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                    had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                    that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                    sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                    crossbows on display too.

                    A reference you can actually see!

                    Marcus Caruana.

                    "Deann E. Allen" wrote:

                    > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                    >
                    > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                    > >
                    > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                    > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                    > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                    > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                    >
                    > D.
                    > --
                    > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                    > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                    > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                    > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                  • Karl Sandhoff
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                      Monetary gain or not Dean has a valid point here. If someone starts out
                      with a preconcieved position and wishes to prove the "correctness" of
                      that position and searches out references to prove it he is not
                      documenting the fact. The matter still stands that other documentation
                      which refutes that presented will often be ignored, conciously or
                      unconciously. This means that a blatently false position is being
                      present as true. If, on the other hand, a hypothesis is being tested,
                      all evidence positive or negative is presented thus proving the fact.
                      The difference here is that in the first case a position was taken and
                      then proved, in the second a question asked and then a position taken.
                      The second is the path of a true scholar and researcher. I've had to
                      learn this one the hard way in my training as an archaeologist. Thank
                      you to all on this list for the opportunity to have some very fine
                      academic debates.
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst

                      On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:14:12 -0700 Robert L Brunnemer
                      <hugewheels@...> writes:
                      >From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                      >
                      >Hallo!!!
                      >
                      >Dean wrote:
                      ><<< Starting from a preconceived belief and setting out to
                      >prove it entails ignoring any evidence you find that contradicts
                      >the point you are trying to prove. In effect, if you did conduct
                      >research in this manner, your results would be lies, because they
                      >would not tell all the truth about what you found.>>> I am sorry, but
                      >this too does not sit well with me. There is something about it that
                      >I find "fishy." It seems to me that the driving factor to want to
                      >document something would be because someone would want to know if it
                      >actually happened. I think that if someone was trying to gain a
                      >monetary value from the said documentation then they would lie. But I
                      >think that if the documentation was just on a knowledge gaining
                      >"journey" than the documentation would be truthful, and all avenues
                      >would be followed. So maybe you should look more into the motives of
                      >why someone decided to prove so and so more than what they thought
                      >before hand? I know that is confusing, but it is 1 am, and I am not
                      >completely thinking straight. I think that is clear enough, but I am
                      >writing it, if you don't understand please tell me and in the morning
                      >I will re-word it or
                      >whatever. Again there is no offense intended by any of this, please
                      >don't take it personally. And...
                      >
                      >Have a nice day!!!
                      >Robert
                      >Hugewheels@... Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!
                      >Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail,
                      >and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web:
                      >http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. ---------------------------
                      >ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- ONElist members are
                      >using Shared Files in great ways! http://www.onelist.com Are you? If
                      >not, see our homepage for details.
                      >Mountain, East Kingdom

                    • Ian Gourdon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                        Marcus,
                        Oooh! I'm 'all a-quiver'. I may have 'shot my bolt'. Etc.
                        Any chance of getting the specifics sometime? It would be very nice to
                        know exactly what they've got, eh? And the arrows; sure you don't need
                        to beg a look at the artifact? Since you're part of 'the Greenwood
                        Group, a Medieval research organization'...
                        Ian Gourdon

                        M&L Romanowski wrote:

                        > From: M&L Romanowski <leanner@...>
                        >
                        > Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                        > on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                        > had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                        > that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                        > sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                        > crossbows on display too.
                        >
                        > A reference you can actually see!
                        >
                        > Marcus Caruana.
                        >
                        > "Deann E. Allen" wrote:
                        >
                        > > From: "Deann E. Allen" <dallen@...>
                        > >
                        > > BLOODSNG@... wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > From: BLOODSNG@...
                        > > >
                        > > > oK HERE IT GOES , In the book A glossery of the construction
                        > > > decoration and use of arms and aror in all countries and in all
                        > > > times, ( no kiding that is the tidel). it has quite a few quivers
                        > > > in it hip, hourse, chariot, and back....
                        > > [snip]
                        > >
                        > > Thank you. Filed for reference. :)
                        > >
                        > > D.
                        > > --
                        > > 100% pure, Grade A, American Mutt caffeine!

                        > > Congratulations DALMATIANRESCUE. Our latest ONElist of the week.
                        > > To see full story and submit YOUR ONElist story, go to
                        > > http://www.onelist.com/info/ootw_19.html

                        > > of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom

                        > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
                        > For details and to order, go to:
                        > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

                        Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
                        - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
                        http://web.raex.com/~agincort
                      • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 1999
                          In a message dated 7/31/99 4:46:45 PM, leanner@... writes:

                          >Another reference is the History Museum in Chicago. They have a back quiver
                          >on display that I remember as being period. I recall being bummed that they
                          >had the arrows in the quiver as opposed to having them displayed. (being
                          >that I am a fletcher) my interest was more in the arrows, but I am really
                          >sure that it was a back quiver and it was period. Had some really nifty
                          >crossbows on display too.

                          >A reference you can actually see!>

                          Thanks. I am wondering if you could be more specfic as to which museum you've
                          seen this in. I would like to persue your find but there are numerous history
                          museums in Chicago.
                          Do you remember what time period this artifact was from and where?

                          Richard