Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Reducing bow poundage

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 65 , Dec 3, 2008
      What you have done in tuning your bow for silence is tune is for less
      efficiency. What is the length of the string length supplied by the
      manufacturer? This should be the correct length for that
      bow. Lengthening the string does not change the draw length, only
      the brace height. If the string allows the brace height to drop
      below the maximum power stroke of the bow it does not impart more
      energy to the arrow. Consider also that the bow being discussed is a
      Mongolian recurve and is designed to have its "as delivered" brace
      height at the bottom of the power stroke.

      I also have a little difficulty with this quote "AND by shortening
      the string my draw weight at full draw increases, by
      >up to 4-7 lbs. So shortening it should lower the full draw
      >weight." That seems to be contradictory.

      Carolus
      >At 02:05 PM 12/3/2008, you wrote:
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
      >Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      >If a longer string is put on, the brace height is
      > > lowered. When drawn to 28" the string is 28" from the back of the
      > > bow regardless of its starting position. It means you had to pull
      > > the longer string further to get it to the 28" point. I have seen
      > > some bows where the longer string actually increased the total energy
      > > imparted into the arrow thus making the same poundage bow hit harder
      > > however these where cases where the shorter string was incorrect for
      > > the bow to begin with.
      > > Carolus
      >
      >When you lower the brace height, the string actually stays in contact
      >with the arrow longer, imparting more force into the arrow before it
      >leaves the string.
      >
      >I tune my hunting bows for silence by adjusting the brace height (among
      >other things) usually to the point where they don't contact the string
      >grooves on the limbs. By lowering the brace height by 1-2" i can gain 5-
      >10 fps on my arrow speed, but i get a noisier bow.
      >
      >AND by shortening the string my draw weight at full draw increases, by
      >up to 4-7 lbs. So shortening it should lower the full draw weight.
      >
      >Society rules say this about CA ammunition: "All ammunition has a
      >maximum length of 28 inches (71 cm) from the back of the blunt, to the
      >string acceptor on the nock."
      >
      >So, accepting that fact, you can't draw the arrow past 28". So on a 32
      >lb bow, that would be the max draw weight. If you drop the brace height
      >2 inches you should see the max draw weight lower, but if you measure
      >arrow speed before and after lowering the brace height, the arrow speed
      >may increase.
      >
      >I stay out of the theoretical math equations and just use what my scale
      >and chronograph tell me.
      >
      >But in either case, the Marshall's scale is the measure that counts.
      >
      >Kolr
      >Part time archer, full time Seneschal
    • Adrian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 19, 2009
        Hi, Jim. Hello, Everyone.

        My right ring finger was just itching for a ring a moment ago, and I thought of this project. How far along did this move?

        Thank you,
        Adrian