Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Reducing bow poundage

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 65 , Dec 2, 2008
      Problem is, it doesn't. The limbs are more relaxed at rest but when
      pulled to 28" are just as bent as with the shorter string. The
      difference is not at full draw but at no draw. Look at it this way,
      with string of a given length, the brace height is a related
      given. If a longer string is put on, the brace height is
      lowered. When drawn to 28" the string is 28" from the back of the
      bow regardless of its starting position. It means you had to pull
      the longer string further to get it to the 28" point. I have seen
      some bows where the longer string actually increased the total energy
      imparted into the arrow thus making the same poundage bow hit harder
      however these where cases where the shorter string was incorrect for
      the bow to begin with.
      Carolus

      . At 05:22 PM 12/2/2008, you wrote:

      >OK, this doesn't address the legality, just the physics. I don't
      >understand...if a bow doesn't pull full weight (say 32#) at 26", pulls
      >full weight at 28", and pulls over full weight at 30", why wouldn't a
      >slightly longer string reduce the pounds of pull at 28"? As I
      >understand it, the pounds of resistance in the limbs is a factor of how
      >far they are bent, and if the longer string results in less bend at 28"
      >draw, why wouldn't the measured pounds of draw be reduced?
      >
      >Randal
    • Adrian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 19, 2009
        Hi, Jim. Hello, Everyone.

        My right ring finger was just itching for a ring a moment ago, and I thought of this project. How far along did this move?

        Thank you,
        Adrian