Re: [SCA-Archery] Archer's Rings

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 65 , Nov 25, 2008
      Jon,

      Pewter is really cheap and easy to cast, but is soft and cannot be
      enameled with glass. I'd have to cast the devices separately, enamel
      them, and glue them into the rings. Pewter is better for jewelry
      like brooches which are not worn on the hands and subject to all
      sorts of abrasion. I could cast the rings in bronze. Bronze is
      actually tougher and harder than silver and gold. I have often worn
      bronze rings. The real problem with bronze is that many people can't
      wear copper alloys against their skin. I had a twisted copper
      bracelet I made and wore. A friend wanted one and I made him an
      identical copy out of the same wire I had used for mine. He put it
      on and within a couple hours he had a bright green band on his arm
      spreading an inch on each side of the bracelet. Of course this was
      not toxic, but it looked weird and would have stained a long sleeved
      shirt. Some people also have metal allergies. The worst is due to
      chrome and hence some people's problem with stainless steel. This is
      why gold has always been the metal of choice for jewelry. It is so
      inert that it is not likely to react with perspiration or stain
      clothing. Actually silver although many times more expensive than
      bronze is still the cheap alternative to gold. The rings are not
      likely to weigh more than a fraction of an ounce, so the metal
      content will be only a part of the price when the labor involved in
      casting and enameling is added. Plating is a possibility, but is
      expensive and eventually wears off. It is also another step which
      adds labor.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

      > At 01:03 AM 11/25/2008, you wrote:

      >Aside from gold and silver, have you considered pewter with some
      >silver content or bronze for the more budget minded archer?
      >
      >Jon
      >
      >On Nov 24, 2008, at 1:36 PM, James Koch wrote:
      > >

      > > I tend to agree. The pheon is heraldically correct and is
      > > recognizable from a distance. It is also easy to fabricate and
      > > enamel. I can make a silver ring with a silver pheon in the middle
      > > of an enameled field. This can be a general participant's ring to be
      > > worn by any archer. The field would likely not be red or white. If
      > > I also make a gold ring with a gold pheon and white field for folks
      > > with royal round scores of over 100 points I have to come up with a
      > > score for folks who shoot only IKACs. What IKAC score is roughly
      > > equivalent to a 100 point rr score? Is there anyone on here who
      > > shoots both? If so, we can compare point for point and quesstimate.
      > > >
      > > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

    • Adrian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 19, 2009
        Hi, Jim. Hello, Everyone.

        My right ring finger was just itching for a ring a moment ago, and I thought of this project. How far along did this move?

        Thank you,
        Adrian