Weapons that Made Britian - Longbow on the History Channel

  • Conrad von Zollern
    Message 1 of 65 , Nov 23, 2008
      Good Morning,

      I thought that I'd share something I stumbled across this morning at
      7:00AM on the History Channel...

      Weapons that Made Britian
      Episode - Longbow

      Seemed to be rather well researched, and covers information on both
      self bows and crossbows... I didn't agree with all of their
      conclusions, but it was very logically thought out...

      "Medieval weapons expert Mike Loades trains people how to fight
      authentically with ancient arms and armor. One of Hollywood's
      foremost historical fight stunt arrangers, in this series, he
      illustrates the great advances in fighting technology that
      underpinned British medieval history and goes to the historical
      record to see how the weapons were really used. In this episode, Mike
      focuses on the longbow, and especially its use at the Battle of Crecy
      during the Hundred Years' War. English King Edward III laid claim to
      the French crown, and in 1346 sailed with a massive invasion force to
      France. In his army of 14,000 men were 7,500 archers; and Crecy
      proved the greatest test of nerve and skill the longbowmen had ever
      faced when they stood against the full might of the French armored
      cavalry. And bowyer Chris Boynton makes a reflexed bow like the ones
      found on Henry VIII's sunken flagship, the Mary Rose.

      Rating: TVPG

      Running Time: 60 minutes"

      It doesn't llok like it is available on DVD yet, but if you get a
      chance to watch or record it, I'd recommend that it be in any serious
      medieval archer's library...

      http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=372998&action=detail

      Ich Dien (I serve),

      Conrad von Zollern,
      Archer of the Iron Rain
    • Adrian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 19, 2009
        Hi, Jim. Hello, Everyone.

        My right ring finger was just itching for a ring a moment ago, and I thought of this project. How far along did this move?

        Thank you,
        Adrian