Crossbow bolts

  • NtxDvr
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
      Greetings!
      For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting into combat archery and crossbow.
      My questions are -
      what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
      Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
      Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
      Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
      Thanks
      Lady C of EK South.

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
        This list is for Target Archery discussion. The SCA wide rules can be
        found here.

        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/t_archery/

        Wooden shafts only.

        Combat Archery is discussed here:

        and the SCA-wide rules for combat archery are found here:

        http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/c_archery/

        Your kingdom may have additional restrictions that apply, particularly
        for Combat Archery, so you should ALWAYS talk to you local marshallate
        before investing in CA equipment and find out what exactly is allowed
        where you live.

        Regards,

        -EA

        NtxDvr wrote:
        > Greetings!
        > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting into combat archery and crossbow.
        > My questions are -
        > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
        > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
        > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
        > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
        > Thanks
        > Lady C of EK South.

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
          Crossbow bolts, as regular arrows need to be of wood shaft with points that
          will be minimally destructive to the targets. Fletching is allowed to be
          feathers or leather/parchment, documentable to period. Kingslayer Armory
          and Merrick Armory both sell crossbow bolts, but I usually make my own. I
          use the heaviest available spined 11/32 shafting and make LONG (24 inch)
          bolts, as I shoot a 150 pound prod. The greater length allows me to select
          an aiming point that is still on the paper of a 60 cm target at 20 yards.

          Check with your kingdom Earl Marshal's office for specs on what is permitted
          for CA.

          Forester Padraig MacRaighne

          Middle Kingdom

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
            All target arrows in the SCA must be wood shafts. Many Fletchers will
            make crossbow bolts - just ask and you'll more than likely get a price
            quote. Where are you located in EK South? You should be aware that
            there are some funny laws in New Jersey regarding the use of crossbows -
            even for target practice. It's always good to check your state and even
            local laws to be sure that you won't run into problems.

            Laurens

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, NtxDvr <ntxdvr@...> wrote:

            > Greetings!
            > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting
            into combat archery and crossbow.
            > My questions are -
            > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
            > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
            > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
            > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
            > Thanks
            > Lady C of EK South.

          • Dayrl Merrill
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
              If you can't find anyone else I make croosbow bolts for the SCA.

              Rask Ulfbjorn

              Laura wrote:

              > All target arrows in the SCA must be wood shafts. Many Fletchers will
              > make crossbow bolts - just ask and you'll more than likely get a price
              > quote. Where are you located in EK South? You should be aware that
              > there are some funny laws in New Jersey regarding the use of crossbows -
              > even for target practice. It's always good to check your state and even
              > local laws to be sure that you won't run into problems.
              >
              > Laurens
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com
              > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, NtxDvr <ntxdvr@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Greetings!
              > > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting
              > into combat archery and crossbow.
              > > My questions are -
              > > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
              > > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
              > > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
              > > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
              > > Thanks
              > > Lady C of EK South.

            • Scott B. Jaqua
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
                Here is a link to how my wife and I make bolts for our Iolo crossbows.

                http://www.hagersonforge.com/bolts.htm

                While we have excellent results with this process, there are other ways
                that work for other people. So take it for what it is worth.

                Njall

                --
                Scott B. Jaqua
                Hagerson Forge
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Hello all,

                  Can anyone direct me to a reliable vendor for crossbow bolts?

                  The vendor I used to use is not currently making any bolts or arrows due to time constraints.

                  I used to make my own arrows, have never done bolts, and don't really have the time to do it myself anymore.

                  Any help would be much appreciated.
                • James Koch
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 26, 2013
                    Aloring,

                    Go to " http://www.alcheminc.com" and select the crossbow page.  Scroll to the bottom of the page for links to a couple bolt makers.  These people are not cheap, but they make excellent custom bolts.

                    Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                    >  At 02:23 AM 6/26/2013, aloring2909 wrote:

                    Hello all,

                    Can anyone direct me to a reliable vendor for crossbow bolts?

                    The vendor I used to use is not currently making any bolts or arrows due to time constraints.

                    I used to make my own arrows, have never done bolts, and don't really have the time to do it myself anymore.

                    Any help would be much appreciated.

                  • hugo_von_gutenbach
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 26, 2013
                      Thank you.

                      I will check them out. It appears it is just an email and no web page for the first one? I see Arbalest has some options.