Re: Boobs and Bowstrings

  • tibbiecroser
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
      It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
      breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
      to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

      For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
      arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
      breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

      P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
      (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
      target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
      because I'm only an A cup.

      Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

      In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

      > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
      > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
      pushed
      > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
      at
      > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
      beads,
      > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
      > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
      something
      > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
      practice
      > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
      > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
      often
      > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
      very
      > reason.
      > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
      stance.
      > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
      > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
      > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
      basics
      > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
      > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
      > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
      her
      > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
      > archers.
      >
      > Laurens
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
      > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
      > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
      and
      > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
      > bodice, she has no problem.
      > >
      > > Liges

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
        Late response

        I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

        It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
        stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
        the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
        strong bow weight.

        For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
        the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
        *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
        elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
        back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

        Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
        mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
        Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
        the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
        side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
        actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
        over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

        Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
        we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
        tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

        Let us know how all this info helps.

        Brad

        Subject: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings