Re: Boobs and Bowstrings

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
      Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
      bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
      out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
      the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
      necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
      caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
      that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
      only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
      year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
      invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
      reason.
      I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
      In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
      myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
      and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
      of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
      would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
      enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
      torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
      archers.

      Laurens

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

      > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
      considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
      push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
      if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
      bodice, she has no problem.

      > Liges

    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
        I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

        We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

        Nest

        Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
        bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
        out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
        the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
        necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
        caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
        that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
        only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
        year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
        invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
        reason.
        I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
        In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
        myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
        and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
        of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
        would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
        enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
        torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
        archers.

        Laurens

        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

        > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
        considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
        push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
        if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
        bodice, she has no problem.

        > Liges

      • tibbiecroser
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
          It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
          breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
          to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

          For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
          arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
          breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

          P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
          (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
          target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
          because I'm only an A cup.

          Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

          In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

          > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
          > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
          pushed
          > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
          at
          > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
          beads,
          > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
          > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
          something
          > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
          practice
          > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
          > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
          often
          > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
          very
          > reason.
          > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
          stance.
          > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
          > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
          > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
          basics
          > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
          > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
          > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
          her
          > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
          > archers.
          >
          > Laurens
          >

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
          > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
          > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
          and
          > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
          > bodice, she has no problem.
          > >
          > > Liges

        • sorchaprechan
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
            I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
            it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
            my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
            like such a simple thing to do...

            Sorcha P.

            > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
            > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
            > >in jeopardy.
          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
              Late response

              I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

              It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
              stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
              the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
              strong bow weight.

              For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
              the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
              *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
              elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
              back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

              Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
              mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
              Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
              the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
              side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
              actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
              over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

              Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
              we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
              tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

              Let us know how all this info helps.

              Brad

              Subject: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings