Re: Boobs and Bowstrings

  • John and Carol Atkins
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
      I have worked with a few ladies who have experienced this problem. The
      solution was really quite simple. If the lady stands with her
      shoulders perpendicular to the flight line to the target, begin the
      draw with the bow hand extended towards the target. As she draws the
      bow the string will rest on the target side of the "problem area". I
      have seen many new archers draw incorrectly and suffer the
      consequences. The improper draw, in this case, is to stand in a very
      open stance, draw the bow, then settle back in a manner that causes the
      drawn bow string to include the "problem area" resulting in a painful
      release.

      cog
    • Laura
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
        Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
        bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
        out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
        the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
        necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
        caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
        that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
        only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
        year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
        invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
        reason.
        I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
        In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
        myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
        and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
        of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
        would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
        enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
        torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
        archers.

        Laurens

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

        > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
        considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
        push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
        if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
        bodice, she has no problem.

        > Liges

      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
          I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

          We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

          Nest

          Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
          bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
          out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
          the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
          necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
          caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
          that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
          only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
          year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
          invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
          reason.
          I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
          In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
          myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
          and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
          of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
          would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
          enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
          torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
          archers.

          Laurens

          --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

          > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
          considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
          push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
          if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
          bodice, she has no problem.

          > Liges

        • tibbiecroser
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
            It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
            breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
            to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

            For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
            arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
            breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

            P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
            (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
            target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
            because I'm only an A cup.

            Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

            In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

            > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
            > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
            pushed
            > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
            at
            > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
            beads,
            > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
            > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
            something
            > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
            practice
            > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
            > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
            often
            > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
            very
            > reason.
            > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
            stance.
            > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
            > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
            > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
            basics
            > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
            > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
            > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
            her
            > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
            > archers.
            >
            > Laurens
            >

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
            > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
            > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
            and
            > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
            > bodice, she has no problem.
            > >
            > > Liges

          • sorchaprechan
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
              I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
              it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
              my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
              like such a simple thing to do...

              Sorcha P.

              > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
              > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
              > >in jeopardy.
            • Brad Boda d'Aylward
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                Late response

                I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

                It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
                stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
                the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
                strong bow weight.

                For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
                the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
                *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
                elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
                back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

                Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
                mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
                Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
                the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
                side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
                actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
                over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

                Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
                we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
                tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

                Let us know how all this info helps.

                Brad

                Subject: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings