Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Boobs and Bowstrings

  • Michael Grossberg
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
      -----Original Message-----

      That's probably because the Greeks glorified the human body, and to depict a nude female without two breasts would be against their vision of beauty and perfection.
      Gardr Gunnarsson
    • John and Carol Atkins
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
        I have worked with a few ladies who have experienced this problem. The
        solution was really quite simple. If the lady stands with her
        shoulders perpendicular to the flight line to the target, begin the
        draw with the bow hand extended towards the target. As she draws the
        bow the string will rest on the target side of the "problem area". I
        have seen many new archers draw incorrectly and suffer the
        consequences. The improper draw, in this case, is to stand in a very
        open stance, draw the bow, then settle back in a manner that causes the
        drawn bow string to include the "problem area" resulting in a painful
        release.

        cog
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
          Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
          bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
          out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
          the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
          necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
          caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
          that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
          only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
          year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
          invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
          reason.
          I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
          In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
          myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
          and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
          of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
          would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
          enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
          torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
          archers.

          Laurens

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

          > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
          considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
          push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
          if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
          bodice, she has no problem.

          > Liges

        • Nest verch Tangwistel
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
            I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

            We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

            Nest

            Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
            bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
            out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
            the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
            necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
            caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
            that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
            only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
            year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
            invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
            reason.
            I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
            In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
            myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
            and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
            of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
            would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
            enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
            torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
            archers.

            Laurens

            --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

            > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
            considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
            push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
            if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
            bodice, she has no problem.

            > Liges

          • tibbiecroser
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
              It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
              breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
              to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

              For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
              arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
              breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

              P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
              (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
              target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
              because I'm only an A cup.

              Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

              In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

              > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
              > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
              pushed
              > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
              at
              > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
              beads,
              > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
              > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
              something
              > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
              practice
              > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
              > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
              often
              > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
              very
              > reason.
              > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
              stance.
              > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
              > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
              > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
              basics
              > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
              > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
              > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
              her
              > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
              > archers.
              >
              > Laurens
              >

              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
              > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
              > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
              and
              > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
              > bodice, she has no problem.
              > >
              > > Liges

            • sorchaprechan
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
                it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
                my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
                like such a simple thing to do...

                Sorcha P.

                > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                > >in jeopardy.
              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                  Late response

                  I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

                  It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
                  stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
                  the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
                  strong bow weight.

                  For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
                  the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
                  *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
                  elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
                  back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

                  Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
                  mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
                  Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
                  the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
                  side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
                  actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
                  over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

                  Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
                  we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
                  tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

                  Let us know how all this info helps.

                  Brad

                  Subject: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings