Re: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings

  • loreleiElkins@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
      Greetings to the list from one reasonably well endowed female archer. When
      I shoot, and when I teach others to shoot, including a good number of women,
      I have them draw the bow string to the left edge of their left breast, (for a
      right handed person.) The string should NEVER be drawn so her breast is in
      between the string and down range. OUCH! If they are drawing in front of
      their breast, their stance is way off. Have them stand correctly, shoulders
      back, draw the string only to the back edge of their breast. One thing I find
      helpful to get the right stance is to swing my right hip back just a little.
      This seems to get everything out of the way and my stance nice and straight.

      Its working for me and others I've taught. I'm sure others have different
      suggestions. Your archer friend may want to try a few things and see which
      one works best for her. It is very unhealthy to damage breast tissue and it
      should not happen, even occasionally.

      Lady Lorelei Greenleaf
      Crois Brigte, Sacred Stone, Atlantia
      Phoenix Guard
      NC Regional Marshal
      Sacred Stone Yeoman
      Atlantian Yew Bow

      In a message dated 11/14/2008 10:48:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      mcnutt@... writes:

      I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
      bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
      we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
      and rolling her right shoulder too far back.

      Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?

      Master William, Reluctant Coach

      Lorelei
      **************You Rock! One month of free movies delivered by mail from
      blockbuster.com
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)

    • Michael Grossberg
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
          I have worked with a few ladies who have experienced this problem. The
          solution was really quite simple. If the lady stands with her
          shoulders perpendicular to the flight line to the target, begin the
          draw with the bow hand extended towards the target. As she draws the
          bow the string will rest on the target side of the "problem area". I
          have seen many new archers draw incorrectly and suffer the
          consequences. The improper draw, in this case, is to stand in a very
          open stance, draw the bow, then settle back in a manner that causes the
          drawn bow string to include the "problem area" resulting in a painful
          release.

          cog
        • Laura
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
            Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
            bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
            out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
            the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
            necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
            caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
            that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
            only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
            year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
            invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
            reason.
            I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
            In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
            myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
            and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
            of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
            would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
            enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
            torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
            archers.

            Laurens

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

            > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
            considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
            push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
            if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
            bodice, she has no problem.

            > Liges

          • Nest verch Tangwistel
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
              I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

              We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

              Nest

              Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
              bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
              out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
              the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
              necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
              caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
              that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
              only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
              year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
              invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
              reason.
              I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
              In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
              myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
              and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
              of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
              would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
              enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
              torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
              archers.

              Laurens

              --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

              > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
              considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
              push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
              if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
              bodice, she has no problem.

              > Liges

            • tibbiecroser
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
                breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
                to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

                For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
                arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
                breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

                P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
                (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
                target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
                because I'm only an A cup.

                Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

                In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

                > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
                pushed
                > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
                at
                > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
                beads,
                > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
                something
                > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
                practice
                > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
                > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
                often
                > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
                very
                > reason.
                > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
                stance.
                > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
                basics
                > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
                her
                > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                > archers.
                >
                > Laurens
                >

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
                and
                > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                > bodice, she has no problem.
                > >
                > > Liges

              • sorchaprechan
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                  I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
                  it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
                  my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
                  like such a simple thing to do...

                  Sorcha P.

                  > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                  > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                  > >in jeopardy.
                • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                    Late response

                    I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

                    It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
                    stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
                    the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
                    strong bow weight.

                    For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
                    the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
                    *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
                    elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
                    back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

                    Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
                    mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
                    Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
                    the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
                    side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
                    actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
                    over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

                    Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
                    we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
                    tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

                    Let us know how all this info helps.

                    Brad

                    Subject: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings