Re: Boobs and Bowstrings

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
      But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
      assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
      in jeopardy. However, the legends also has it the right breast was
      removed at an early age to encourage the body to grow the right
      arm/shoulder muscles rather than develop the breast. In essense, it
      was a form of pruning the human body.

      That said, most Greek depictions of Amazons show both breasts intact.

      In Service,
      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grossberg <geejayem@...>
      wrote:

      > The Amazons of ancient Greece were purported to employ a
      proceedure which would solve this problem, but I believe that
      today's female archer might find it just a
      bit....ahhhh..."extreme"?! :(
      > Gardr Gunnarsson

    • Liges
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
        Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a bodice, she has no problem.

        Liges

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
          Back when I first started marshalling (dirt was still a NEW THING) a young
          lady of my acquaintance commented that the Frisbee was the female archer's
          best friend. Especially tucked into her shirt!

          Seriously, try video taping your student to look for what is causing her
          problem. It may be that she needs to draw to her chin instead of under her
          eye, she may be collapsing her bow shoulder, overdrawing (as you mentioned),
          wavering (my term, I mean waving one or both hands during the draw and set),
          or drawing in a horizontally circular motion rather than in a straight line.

          That's all I can think of, off hand.

          Padraig MacRaighne

          Forester of the Greenwood Company

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
            Greetings to the list from one reasonably well endowed female archer. When
            I shoot, and when I teach others to shoot, including a good number of women,
            I have them draw the bow string to the left edge of their left breast, (for a
            right handed person.) The string should NEVER be drawn so her breast is in
            between the string and down range. OUCH! If they are drawing in front of
            their breast, their stance is way off. Have them stand correctly, shoulders
            back, draw the string only to the back edge of their breast. One thing I find
            helpful to get the right stance is to swing my right hip back just a little.
            This seems to get everything out of the way and my stance nice and straight.

            Its working for me and others I've taught. I'm sure others have different
            suggestions. Your archer friend may want to try a few things and see which
            one works best for her. It is very unhealthy to damage breast tissue and it
            should not happen, even occasionally.

            Lady Lorelei Greenleaf
            Crois Brigte, Sacred Stone, Atlantia
            Phoenix Guard
            NC Regional Marshal
            Sacred Stone Yeoman
            Atlantian Yew Bow

            In a message dated 11/14/2008 10:48:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            mcnutt@... writes:

            I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
            bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
            we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
            and rolling her right shoulder too far back.

            Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?

            Master William, Reluctant Coach

            Lorelei
            **************You Rock! One month of free movies delivered by mail from
            blockbuster.com
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)

          • Michael Grossberg
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
                I have worked with a few ladies who have experienced this problem. The
                solution was really quite simple. If the lady stands with her
                shoulders perpendicular to the flight line to the target, begin the
                draw with the bow hand extended towards the target. As she draws the
                bow the string will rest on the target side of the "problem area". I
                have seen many new archers draw incorrectly and suffer the
                consequences. The improper draw, in this case, is to stand in a very
                open stance, draw the bow, then settle back in a manner that causes the
                drawn bow string to include the "problem area" resulting in a painful
                release.

                cog
              • Laura
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                  Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                  bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
                  out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
                  the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
                  necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                  caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
                  that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
                  only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
                  year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
                  invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
                  reason.
                  I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
                  In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                  myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                  and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
                  of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                  would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                  enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
                  torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                  archers.

                  Laurens

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

                  > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                  considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                  push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
                  if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                  bodice, she has no problem.

                  > Liges

                • Nest verch Tangwistel
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                    I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

                    We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

                    Nest

                    Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                    bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
                    out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
                    the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
                    necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                    caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
                    that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
                    only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
                    year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
                    invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
                    reason.
                    I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
                    In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                    myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                    and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
                    of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                    would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                    enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
                    torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                    archers.

                    Laurens

                    --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

                    > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                    considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                    push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
                    if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                    bodice, she has no problem.

                    > Liges

                  • tibbiecroser
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                      It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
                      breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
                      to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

                      For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
                      arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
                      breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

                      P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
                      (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
                      target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
                      because I'm only an A cup.

                      Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

                      In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

                      > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                      > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
                      pushed
                      > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
                      at
                      > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
                      beads,
                      > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                      > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
                      something
                      > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
                      practice
                      > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
                      > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
                      often
                      > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
                      very
                      > reason.
                      > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
                      stance.
                      > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                      > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                      > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
                      basics
                      > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                      > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                      > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
                      her
                      > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                      > archers.
                      >
                      > Laurens
                      >

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                      > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                      > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
                      and
                      > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                      > bodice, she has no problem.
                      > >
                      > > Liges

                    • sorchaprechan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                        I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
                        it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
                        my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
                        like such a simple thing to do...

                        Sorcha P.

                        > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                        > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                        > >in jeopardy.
                      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                          Late response

                          I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

                          It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
                          stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
                          the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
                          strong bow weight.

                          For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
                          the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
                          *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
                          elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
                          back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

                          Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
                          mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
                          Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
                          the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
                          side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
                          actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
                          over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

                          Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
                          we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
                          tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

                          Let us know how all this info helps.

                          Brad