Re: [SCA-Archery] Boobs and Bowstrings

  • Sheri Rees
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
      I've seen some of the responses posted and feel that I should
      disagree with you and them.
      She is not necessarily doing anything wrong with her stance, draw, or release.
      Watch her closely as she draws and shoots to see if you notice something.

      I remember having a discussion with Master Andras many years ago about stance.
      He kept telling me to stand and draw a certain way.
      I kept saying 'yeah but...' (for obvious reasons to me).
      Master John Bowslayer suggested a slight modification to that stance.
      When I come back to full draw, I shift my hips slightly back from the
      target and my shoulders slightly forward.
      This keeps the bowstring on the target side of the chest, with the
      draw coming up mostly within the arm pit.
      Note - this is not a full crouched hunting stance like my hubby uses,
      just a slight shift, barely noticeable to anyone else on the line.
      This works pretty well for me. I still occasionally straighten up
      enough that I hit something painful, but not often.

      Shadhra

    • eulenhorst@rosesandivy.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
        Hold on just a minute here. These are all good points but not complete or exclusive. First, the
        term "stance" needs to be defined. This post and Njall's both address parts of "stance" but not all of
        it. Stance consists of many parts, foot position (ala Njall),balance, hip and shoulder position
        including angle, and head and neck position. In short, all elements of an archer's position prior to
        drawing. Arm position and specific anchor point then come into play. All of these can be involved
        here. The following is my process for initially positioning an archer and I seldom see any issues with
        ladies or men.

        Start by placing an arrow accross the shooting line in line with the center of the target. Place the toe
        of the forward foot against the side of the arrow and the center of the instep of the rear foot against
        the nock maintaining the feet at shoulder width apart. This gives a slightly open stance. Balance the
        body so that the archer's weight is evenly distributed between both feet and heel and ball of each foot.
        Adjust the foot placement per Njall's post. Mark foot position with powder or golf tees.

        Then stand straight with shoulders back and square to the target. The spine should be vertical. Take a
        full breath and let half of it out, keep the teeth closed but not clenched. Draw to full anchor keeping
        the arms in a horizontal plane. Establish a comfortable anchor. Once this can be repeatedly obtained
        and muscle memory has begun to be established actually drawing an arrow can begin.

        Shifting the hips and/or shoulders as mentioned below is a fine tuning effect which can be used to
        correct minor issues like this but are much more difficult to keep consistent. Using all these
        techniques is good to find what works best for the individual and all should be considered.

        I have found that going back to this often helps clear up small form flaws which creep in. I have also
        noted that this nearly always brings the string back clear of the breast. If the lady is less endowed,
        it will clear the breast entirely, if more, it will press against the side of the breast. In the rare
        case that the string just clearsor brushes the breast, a chest protector or equivalent clothing should be
        used.

        Carolus

        On Fri Nov 14 9:34 , Sheri Rees <s.l.rees@...> sent:

        > I've seen some of the responses posted and feel that I should
        >
        >disagree with you and them.
        >
        >She is not necessarily doing anything wrong with her stance, draw, or release.
        >
        >Watch her closely as she draws and shoots to see if you notice something.
        >

        >I remember having a discussion with Master Andras many years ago about stance.
        >
        >He kept telling me to stand and draw a certain way.
        >
        >I kept saying 'yeah but...' (for obvious reasons to me).
        >
        >Master John Bowslayer suggested a slight modification to that stance.
        >
        >When I come back to full draw, I shift my hips slightly back from the
        >
        >target and my shoulders slightly forward.
        >
        >This keeps the bowstring on the target side of the chest, with the
        >
        >draw coming up mostly within the arm pit.
        >
        >Note - this is not a full crouched hunting stance like my hubby uses,
        >
        >just a slight shift, barely noticeable to anyone else on the line.
        >
        >This works pretty well for me. I still occasionally straighten up
        >
        >enough that I hit something painful, but not often.
        >

        >Shadhra
        >

        >At 07:47 AM 11/14/2008, you wrote:
        >
        >>I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
        >
        >>bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
        >
        >>we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
        >
        >>and rolling her right shoulder too far back.
        >

        >>Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?
        >

        >>Master William, Reluctant Coach

      • Katherine Baldwin
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
          Greetings fron Caid
          I am a female shooter. I tell all my female students the solutation. It's
          simple actually. Tell her to place the foot on the "safe" side of the line
          about 2" forward of the other foot. If you are a right handed shooter that
          is the right foot.This creates a Triangle and you miss your breast. Hope
          this helps. Katherine of Anglesey
          On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM, McNutt Jr, William R <mcnutt@...>wrote:

          > I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
          > bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
          > we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
          > and rolling her right shoulder too far back.
          >
          > Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?
          >
          > Master William, Reluctant Coach

        • Michael Grossberg
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
            The Amazons of ancient Greece were purported to employ a proceedure which would solve this problem, but I believe that today's female archer might find it just a bit....ahhhh..."extreme"?! :(
            Gardr Gunnarsson

            >Greetings fron Caid
            >I am a female shooter. I tell all my female students the solutation. It's
            >simple actually. Tell her to place the foot on the "safe" side of the line
            >about 2" forward of the other foot. If you are a right handed shooter that
            >is the right foot.This creates a Triangle and you miss your breast. Hope
            >this helps. Katherine of Anglesey
            >On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM, McNutt Jr, William R <mcnutt@...>wrote:
            >
            >> I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
            >> bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
            >> we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
            >> and rolling her right shoulder too far back.
            >>
            >> Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?
            >>
            >> Master William, Reluctant Coach

          • Eadric Anstapa
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
              I have come across this with a few women I have coached.

              My experience has been to remind them that the string should be drawn
              into the breast and not around the breast. The stance may need to be
              adjusted to accommodate that.

              As some have pointed are there are chest guards for women but they are
              not designed to keep the string for hitting the breast. They are
              designed so spread and soften the pressure from the string on the
              breast. The prolonged repetition of pressure from the bowstring can
              lead to the formation of a lump within the fatty tissue, which is
              clinically difficult to tell apart from cancer tissue without a biopsy.

              My experience has show that the problem of the string striking the
              chest can often be corrected with a modified stance.

              We all know that there are 4 basic stances for traditional standing
              target archery.

              The Even or Square stance where both feet are in a straight line square
              with the shoulders. This is the stance most often taught to new archers
              as it is the easiest to reproduce ans is very natural for many people.
              It also makes good use of the back muscles for drawing the string.
              However it has disadvantages that it provides the smallest base of
              support and is therefore the least sturdy. This stance provides a
              relatively low amount of string clearance against the chest and can be
              troublesome for large chested shooters.

              The Close stance is where the front foot (foot under the bow hand) is
              moved forward. This provides a more stable support base and gives
              better alignment of the arm and shoulder in a direct line to the
              target. However it tends to encourage the archer the lean away form the
              target and to overdraw the arrow. It also reduces string clearance even
              more and the string may strike against the body. Instinctive archers
              often have a very closed stance.

              The problems you archer may be having might be because they have a
              naturally Closed stance or because the Even stance just isn't working
              well for their body style

              Then there is the Open Stance where the front foot is moved back a bit.
              This provides added stability over the Even stance i n the same way that
              the Closed stance does but it also reduces the tendency to lean toward
              the target and improves string clearance. The downside is that it does
              not make as good a use of the back muscles and requires more arm
              strength with is something that some women lacking arm strength might
              find troublesome. Also because the arm is used more and the back less
              it tends to make the upper body twist towards the target.

              Without actually coaching your student myself, I might suggest that a
              more open stance be tried while making sure that they have a bow that
              they can draw without difficulty and can maintain good upper body
              alignment. I have successfully helped women who have had trouble with
              the string striking their breast by having them Open their stance some.
              An Open stance is taught to many beginning archers and in fact many
              coaches strongly recommend that beginning archers start with an Open stance.

              Then finally ...

              The Oblique stance is where the front foot is pointed about 45 degrees
              toward the target rather than being kept square. This is used mainly by
              experienced and expert archers as it is the hardest to maintain and
              reproduce. This gives the greatest amount of clearance for the bow
              string, gives the archer the greatest amount of target visibility,
              provides a great amount of body stability in high winds, and keeps the
              body in very good equilibrium. Almost never taught to new archers
              because it can be so hard to maintain.

              Regards,

              -EA

              McNutt Jr, William R wrote:
              > I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
              > bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
              > we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
              > and rolling her right shoulder too far back.
              >
              > Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?
              >
              > Master William, Reluctant Coach

            • James Koch
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                Gentlemen and Ladies,

                >While still a national amature archer shooting for Cal State Long beach,
                >I knew several Olympic caliber ladies that were well endowed. The used a
                >breast protector or shield. String contact with the breast is not
                >always a bad thing. If the sting contacts the side of the breast in a
                >proper stance, it can actually serve as an additional reference point
                >for the anchor point.

                As a manufacturer of archery equipment, this sounds like an
                interesting armoring opportunity. Period documentation anyone?

                Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                  But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                  assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                  in jeopardy. However, the legends also has it the right breast was
                  removed at an early age to encourage the body to grow the right
                  arm/shoulder muscles rather than develop the breast. In essense, it
                  was a form of pruning the human body.

                  That said, most Greek depictions of Amazons show both breasts intact.

                  In Service,
                  James

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grossberg <geejayem@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The Amazons of ancient Greece were purported to employ a
                  proceedure which would solve this problem, but I believe that
                  today's female archer might find it just a
                  bit....ahhhh..."extreme"?! :(
                  > Gardr Gunnarsson

                • Liges
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                    Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a bodice, she has no problem.

                    Liges

                  • Frederick Fenters
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 14, 2008
                      Back when I first started marshalling (dirt was still a NEW THING) a young
                      lady of my acquaintance commented that the Frisbee was the female archer's
                      best friend. Especially tucked into her shirt!

                      Seriously, try video taping your student to look for what is causing her
                      problem. It may be that she needs to draw to her chin instead of under her
                      eye, she may be collapsing her bow shoulder, overdrawing (as you mentioned),
                      wavering (my term, I mean waving one or both hands during the draw and set),
                      or drawing in a horizontally circular motion rather than in a straight line.

                      That's all I can think of, off hand.

                      Padraig MacRaighne

                      Forester of the Greenwood Company

                      _____

                    • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
                        Greetings to the list from one reasonably well endowed female archer. When
                        I shoot, and when I teach others to shoot, including a good number of women,
                        I have them draw the bow string to the left edge of their left breast, (for a
                        right handed person.) The string should NEVER be drawn so her breast is in
                        between the string and down range. OUCH! If they are drawing in front of
                        their breast, their stance is way off. Have them stand correctly, shoulders
                        back, draw the string only to the back edge of their breast. One thing I find
                        helpful to get the right stance is to swing my right hip back just a little.
                        This seems to get everything out of the way and my stance nice and straight.

                        Its working for me and others I've taught. I'm sure others have different
                        suggestions. Your archer friend may want to try a few things and see which
                        one works best for her. It is very unhealthy to damage breast tissue and it
                        should not happen, even occasionally.

                        Lady Lorelei Greenleaf
                        Crois Brigte, Sacred Stone, Atlantia
                        Phoenix Guard
                        NC Regional Marshal
                        Sacred Stone Yeoman
                        Atlantian Yew Bow

                        In a message dated 11/14/2008 10:48:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        mcnutt@... writes:

                        I have a student who complains of hitting her left breast with the
                        bowstring on release. Obviously, there's a problem with her stance, but
                        we're having trouble sorting it out. I think she may be over-drawing
                        and rolling her right shoulder too far back.

                        Has anyone else run into this when teaching women?

                        Master William, Reluctant Coach

                        Lorelei
                        **************You Rock! One month of free movies delivered by mail from
                        blockbuster.com
                        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)

                      • Michael Grossberg
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
                          >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                          >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                          >in jeopardy. However, the legends also has it the right breast was
                          >removed at an early age to encourage the body to grow the right
                          >arm/shoulder muscles rather than develop the breast. In essense, it
                          >was a form of pruning the human body.
                          >
                          >That said, most Greek depictions of Amazons show both breasts intact.
                          >
                          >In Service,
                          >James

                          That's probably because the Greeks glorified the human body, and to depict a nude female without two breasts would be against their vision of beauty and perfection.
                          Gardr Gunnarsson
                        • John and Carol Atkins
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
                            I have worked with a few ladies who have experienced this problem. The
                            solution was really quite simple. If the lady stands with her
                            shoulders perpendicular to the flight line to the target, begin the
                            draw with the bow hand extended towards the target. As she draws the
                            bow the string will rest on the target side of the "problem area". I
                            have seen many new archers draw incorrectly and suffer the
                            consequences. The improper draw, in this case, is to stand in a very
                            open stance, draw the bow, then settle back in a manner that causes the
                            drawn bow string to include the "problem area" resulting in a painful
                            release.

                            cog
                          • Laura
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                              Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                              bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
                              out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
                              the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
                              necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                              caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
                              that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
                              only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
                              year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
                              invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
                              reason.
                              I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
                              In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                              myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                              and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
                              of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                              would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                              enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
                              torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                              archers.

                              Laurens

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@...> wrote:

                              > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                              considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                              push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
                              if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                              bodice, she has no problem.

                              > Liges

                            • Nest verch Tangwistel
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                                I have been running an archery practice for a long time. When I get a new woman come to practice, I just tell her to keep the stance square and bring the string into the side of the breast not across the front. Easy enough if you keep the bow arm shoulder far enough to the front. That simple advice has proved to be just about all that is needed. I can't think of a single example of a whacking at our practice, and from what I have noticed they rarely happen without comment.

                                We hold a couple of practices a year that are designed for people to try out garb. our usual practice is not is garb, but at these it is manditory.

                                Nest

                                Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                                bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so pushed
                                out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference at
                                the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains, beads,
                                necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                                caused string interference and entanglements. This is just something
                                that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who practice
                                only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once a
                                year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I often
                                invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that very
                                reason.
                                I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square stance.
                                In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                                myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                                and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the basics
                                of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                                would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                                enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place her
                                torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                                archers.

                                Laurens

                                --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, Liges <ligessac@.. .> wrote:

                                > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                                considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                                push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots, and
                                if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                                bodice, she has no problem.

                                > Liges

                              • tibbiecroser
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                                  It might depend on the type of bodice. Many bodices do push the
                                  breasts up and out, but some historically styled bodices are designed
                                  to flatten the breasts and push them off to the sides.

                                  For women who feel they need chest protection, fencing and martial
                                  arts vendors carry both molded one-piece chest protectors and plastic
                                  breast cups that are designed to be inserted into a sports bra.

                                  P.S. To introduce myself, I'm Tibbie Croser, a recently authorized
                                  (female) rapier fighter in Atlantia who's interested in taking up
                                  target archery. I don't anticipate having boob problems myself,
                                  because I'm only an A cup.

                                  Tibbie Croser, Barony of Storvik, Atlantia

                                  In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <Ladybaron@...> wrote:

                                  > Are you sure you don't have this backwards? I have seen women in
                                  > bodices hit themselves with the bowstring becuase they were so
                                  pushed
                                  > out up front. I have encountered many cases of garb interference
                                  at
                                  > the lines - poufy and / or long flowy sleeves, lots of chains,
                                  beads,
                                  > necklaces, as well as bodices pushing the ladies up & out all have
                                  > caused string interference and entanglements. This is just
                                  something
                                  > that is not considered by occasional and beginner archers who
                                  practice
                                  > only in their mundane clothes. Then they step up to the line once
                                  > year at Pennsic and discover their garb is causing problems. I
                                  often
                                  > invite people to shoot in garb at my archery practices for that
                                  very
                                  > reason.
                                  > I am by no means flat chested, and have always used a square
                                  stance.
                                  > In almost 50 years of shooting the bow I have not managed to thwack
                                  > myself with the bowstring. I shoot ELB, modern and period recurves
                                  > and do not encounter the problem. I can suggest getting to the
                                  basics
                                  > of foot placement and hips to make sure she is using a stance that
                                  > would alleviate the string problem. Foot placement alone is not
                                  > enough - she has to be sure she is not twisting her hips to place
                                  her
                                  > torso closer to the string. This is sometimes done by beginner
                                  > archers.
                                  >
                                  > Laurens
                                  >

                                  > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Liges <ligessac@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but has anyone
                                  > considered her garb? If what she is wearing is designed to lift and
                                  > push out, it would put them more in danger.  My Lady wife shoots,
                                  and
                                  > if in regular clothes, has a problem with hitting, if she wears a
                                  > bodice, she has no problem.
                                  > >
                                  > > Liges

                                • sorchaprechan
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                                    I'd always heard it was the left breast. Anyway, Lady Lorelei's got
                                    it, I think. I'm well endowed and have been pulling my string back to
                                    my cheek, and learning to aim has been hellish. And baffling, it seems
                                    like such a simple thing to do...

                                    Sorcha P.

                                    > >But the legend is that the Amazons removed the right breast and
                                    > >assuming a right handed draw, this would still put the left breast
                                    > >in jeopardy.
                                  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 27, 2008
                                      Late response

                                      I've read the term 'stance'. I'll refer to their 'form'....... same thing.

                                      It sounds like she has what we refer to as 'Bow Creep'. This pulls the bow
                                      stave out in front of the body and allows the bow string to come in front of
                                      the body. Ladies are notorious for this if they are fighting an overly
                                      strong bow weight.

                                      For proper form: there should be a *straight* line from the bow hand through
                                      the left shoulder to the right shoulder. And then there should be a
                                      *straight* line from the arrow tip through the string hand to the right
                                      elbow. No break in the string hand. This may actually move her anchor point
                                      back on her face from the chin to the edge of the mouth or the jaw bone.

                                      Anchor point on the face (string fingers should touch the face, chin, eye,
                                      mouth, jaw, etc.) And then *pinch a quarter between the shoulder blades*.
                                      Arch the back. Use the back muscles to straighten these two lines to form
                                      the 'perfect' triangle. On drawing the string it will come straight into the
                                      side of the archer and, upon release, go straight away from the breast. I
                                      actually had an 'overly endowed' Lady draw the bottom half of the string
                                      over the top half of her breast (light poundage bow)

                                      Bow creep allows inconsistancy to enter an archers' form. With proper form
                                      we avoid 'titty whack' and you will notice that her arrow groupings will
                                      tighten up also. Her scores will go up.

                                      Let us know how all this info helps.

                                      Brad