Broken Horn Nock

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2008
      Greetings,
      I recently had a mishap where my longbow got caught in my closet
      door. As a result, the horn nock on the upper limb was cracked and
      fell off. It is a clean break, and I was wondering if any of the bow
      builders on this list might be able to steer me in the direction of a
      good glue. I would like to try and repair this nock, as I don't think
      my horn carving skills are up to matching the one on the lower limb.
      All suggestions are welcome.

      Thank You
      Edward Harbinger
    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2008
        When the upper horn nock on my longbow cracked, Yumi repaired it with superglue. Just ran a little into the crack and held it for a second.

        Nest

        I recently had a mishap where my longbow got caught in my closet
        door. As a result, the horn nock on the upper limb was cracked and
        fell off. It is a clean break, and I was wondering if any of the bow
        builders on this list might be able to steer me in the direction of a
        good glue. I would like to try and repair this nock, as I don't think
        my horn carving skills are up to matching the one on the lower limb.
        All suggestions are welcome.

        Thank You
        Edward Harbinger

      • John and Carol Atkins
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2008
          3Rivers Archery sells horn nocks for ELBs. I have used their Smooth On
          epoxy to repair bows with great success. The problem with standard
          hardware store epoxy is that it dries hard. The shock a bow takes
          often cracks the bonding layer formed by the glue. The Smooth On epoxy
          dries flexible and can take the shock.

          cog